DVDVR Message Board

ELDER SCROLLS OMNIBUS THREAD

JLSigman

I am totally not buying the fucking SE Remaster.  I will spend hours trying to make things sit properly in display cases.

And as for an earlier comment yeah, I totally sold enchanted weapons for gold or used them for decorations and got by on either Skyforged Steel or Lunar Steel weapons.

That is the one thing I gave up on.

I have confined my mania to just books and the occasional putting full outfits on mannequins

Of course - the NEW thing that I am infuriated about is that I can't give my daughter a gift because thanks to a bug, the game claims she is over-encumbered

Today in Lydia is an idiot:

So I am going to Broken Oars Grotto to go fuck up Jaree-Ra. I am walking along the coast and right when I get to the Grotto entrance, I turn around to make sure Lydia is there (since all my followers tend to get stuck now I am always checking to make sure they are with me). What I see is her diving into the water and chasing a fucking Slaughterfish all over creation. She literally swims off screen chasing this fucker. I had to fast travel TWICE to get her to show back up.

• Like 2

I've been bouncing around the map, finishing up quests I forgot about, and I swear, every time I bounce in Solstheim there's another dragon there to greet me and the one random guard who's awake and not ensorceled by Miraak.

OH! Speaking of attacks

Poor poor stupid Bandit Gang that decided to try and attack me at Lakeview Manor

They got attacked by: Me (1), Lydia (2), Reyya (3), Uthgerd the Unbroken (4), Aela the Huntress (5), my Horse (6), and my Cow (7)

The only one who didn't attack was my kid - who dropped her flower basket in terror which is how I discovered that she was still carrying like 250 of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That is the one thing I gave up on.

I have confined my mania to just books and the occasional putting full outfits on mannequins

Of course - the NEW thing that I am infuriated about is that I can't give my daughter a gift because thanks to a bug, the game claims she is over-encumbered

You picked up Sofie the flower girl, right?  Yeah I've run into this.

Something to do with her being a merchant prior to adoption (you can buy flowers from her).

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there's a Bethesda Bug (tm).  For some reason as game time goes on flower baskets keep getting added to her inventory and she ends up with like 300 (!) if she remains a vendor long enough.  If you get the speech 50 "buy/sell any type of item from any type of vendor" perk you'll start seeing these baskets in her inventory and can buy them from her.  Without that perk, though, you'll never see them in her merchant inventory.  They're still there though, weighing half a pound each.

So what happens, iirc, is that if you don't buy them off of her while she's a merchant she'll keep them forever/while she's an adoptee, where they will apparently count against her encumberance.

Yes, you managed to pick the one kid who always has this issue.  [All of them can have bug issues when traveling to their first home/when you move to a new one.]

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

OH! Speaking of attacks

Poor poor stupid Bandit Gang that decided to try and attack me at Lakeview Manor

They got attacked by: Me (1), Lydia (2), Reyya (3), Uthgerd the Unbroken (4), Aela the Huntress (5), my Horse (6), and my Cow (7)

The only one who didn't attack was my kid - who dropped her flower basket in terror which is how I discovered that she was still carrying like 250 of them.

Ah, yep.  Hopefully with those out of her inventory you'll be able to give her gifts now?

[Dragonbone Daggers: the gifts that keep on giving.  Gotta start prepping those kids for the family business early on.]

My book OCD is driving me to try and get at least one copy of every book in the game.

Including the obscure (sometimes randomly generated) written notes found in dungeons and on dead bodies.

Many of these have identical titles which means they'll merge with each other if you put them in the same chest [each of the forbidden amulet fragment bosses has an identically titled "writ of sealing" note with slightly different bodies of text, for example.]

Which takes some planning to avoid.

There are also way more books than can be put on any one house's bookshelf supply (even the Markarth house), so the Dovahkiin Historical Archive will have to be spread across multiple locations, unless I can find a mod that adds a house with an 800 capacity bookshelf system (or whatever) that won't in turn fuck up other parts of the game with its installation as mods are wont to do.

I only know that her inventory is stuffed because I read it online. Sadly - since I am on the console I can't delete them out.

And there is no way I am going back to before I adopted her.

She is gonna just be boned outta gifts

I KILLED A GIANT YESTERDAY!

Woo!  I think that's the first time I haven't been punted across the map by one.  I'm just gonna ignore the fact that I only killed him because I went running towards where I knew he was when I got attacked by a dragon.  I hid near the entrance to his hunt and pelted them both with arrows while they destroyed each other - then ran out like the brave Nord that I am and delivered the death blow with my fire destruction to get some cheap level up.  

I need to do some more side questing around Whiterun because I'm getting my ass kicked by all sorts of crazy things trying to get from Aventus Aretino to that damn orphanage in in Riften.  I went back to Breezehome licking my wounds and built an alchemy lab so I could just sit in peace for an hour next to my pile of dragon bones and not be bothered.  

• Like 1

Did you do all the quests out of Riverwood already?

Because if not - do those since those are about as low level as you are gonna get.

And if you want to do the Thieves Guild that bad just take a carriage to Riften.

That is what I did so then I could fast travel instead of getting jumped by every wolf and bear on the map

Oh - I had no clue the carriages could take you places you've never been, I assumed they were like fast travel.  That's way better than trying to find pathways over mountains that keep being cut off by geography and people I run into.

Looking at the Elder Scrolls Wiki I've done the 4 main Riverwood quests but haven't done any of the ones prompted by talking to Delphine.  I'll try hitting those up next - I just hit level 10, have a bazillion potions left even after selling them at every general store I can find until they're pretty much all out of money & have been able to craft myself some decent armor so I'm getting slightly less paranoid about venturing out into the wilderness now. 

The other option is finishing the Companion quests, but that's to the point too where the next one is really far and required a ton of traveling but I guess with the carriages it wouldn't be so bad. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Did you do all the quests out of Riverwood already?

Because if not - do those since those are about as low level as you are gonna get.

Do not get involved in Faendal and Sven's romantic rivalry bullshit, CSC.  They are both assholes and Camilla Valerius is about as chaste as a puddle of mud.

Break into their houses and steal their shit.

1 hour ago, CSC said:

The other option is finishing the Companion quests, but that's to the point too where the next one is really far and required a ton of traveling but I guess with the carriages it wouldn't be so bad. 

By all means do this.  Skyforge Steel weapons are your best friends both for whooping up on enemies and selling for cash once you have free access to the Skyforge and have the Smithing skill to make them yourself..

I tend not to suffer through the Companion's quest tree because those adventures are really rough on a Khajiit stealth build's HP pool.

I hate it that mods kill achievement hunting.  There are some really nice Skyforge Steel arsenal mods out there.

Weapons:

hqdefault.jpg

The "texture" skin for one of the customized Skyforge Steel helm for Nords.

bearhatref.jpg

I wish the game had the common decency to recognize my build and NOT add quest lines to my queue that I will probably never finish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Do not get involved in Faendal and Sven's romantic rivalry bullshit, CSC.  They are both assholes and Camilla Valerius is about as chaste as a puddle of mud.

Break into their houses and steal their shit.

This was one of the first things I did - siding with Sven cause Nords gotta stick together you can't trust those damn dirty Elves (oh God I didn't know how true this was until I got to Windhelm and then immediately felt guilty about judging him on race).  I had that lovable goof follow me around for a bit carrying my junk until I found Lydia. 

I usually roll as a Khajiit in these games to my loyalties are to my fellow oppressed and disenfranchised cat-men brothers and to the pouch of gold hanging off of my sword belt.

I didn't really play favorites between the Stormcloaks or the Imperials.  So what if Ulfric was a bit of a xenophobe. I didn't really want to be on this cold ass continent anyway.

The only faction I actively harassed was the Thalmor.  There are no words for how much I genuinely hate the Aldmer.

As much as I love the idea of playing as a Khajit, I tried on my last 360 play-through and things like "sneaking", "subtlety" and "finesse" just aren't part of my gaming skills no matter how hard I try. 

10 minutes ago, CSC said:

As much as I love the idea of playing as a Khajit, I tried on my last 360 play-through and things like "sneaking", "subtlety" and "finesse" just aren't part of my gaming skills no matter how hard I try. 

I have the act of crouch walking cross continent down to an art form.

My insane ability to stealth clear a bandit hideout really does call my suspension of disbelief into question, though..

"How many arrows from the darkness can this guy take and not die?  How does he not know that I am here plunking him in his dome? if it were me getting shot multiple times, I would not just lose interest while searching for the guy nailing me with a bow and go back to doing what I was doing, especially if one or two of my gang were lying there on the ground with multiple barbed shafts protruding from their corpses. .They are not just dropping dead due to natural causes. "

Faendal was the better choice since also is a trainer 

JT plays these games like no other so take his shoot first, shoot last, shoot everything and then steal strategy with a grain of salt

• Like 1

Fanedal is an asshole. 

Pick the lock on his front door and make yourself at home.

He has the ingredients for a nice piece of roast venison in his crib.  Nab his food and make yourself a nice meal at the smith's house.....

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Can't imagine why people try to shiv your cat ass

It is not my fault.  These Nords do not understand my people's culture.  We find locked doors to be very offensive.

I tend not to grab anything from open containers (even stuff I can use like potion ingredients), but I am bound to steal anything kept under lock and key by an NPC that I do not like.

I did not rob Hod or Gerdur when I was in Riverwood, but I vicced the shit out of Faendal and Sven's houses.

Any High Elf NPC I encountered was immediately targeted for burglary unless dialogue showed them to be anti-Thalmor.

Don't think that I don't realize what you guys are doing.  I am not playing this fucking remaster until after I beat ME:Andromeda's campaign mode.