DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2019

Brian Fowler

To put a bow on things - here is Meltzer's recap on the Bret Hart incident

The WWE Hall of Fame ceremony on 4/6 turned into a national news story when a nutjob MMA fighter charged into the ring set up at the Barclays Center, getting through the ropes and tackled Bret Hart while pulling him down, knocking down Natalie Neidhart (Natalya), who was standing next to him while both were giving the induction speech about the original Hart Foundation tag team of Bret and Natalie’s father Jim Neidhart.

The fighter, Zach Madsen, 26, threw at least one punch to Hart when he was down and also kicked a security guard in the ribs.

Given that Hart is 61 years old, and suffered a serious stroke plus a number of major injuries including a wrist operation that he never recovered from, and was blindsided and it was done while he was making a speech about his brother-in-law and friend who had just passed away this past year, the entire situation was beyond repugnant.

The chaotic moment, which saw the cameras pull away and go dark during the live show, and edited off the taped show, saw Travis Browne and a number of WWE performers, Shane McMahon, Big E, Xavier Woods, Big Show, Curtis Axel, Heath Slater and Kofi Kingston get into the ring instantly. They tackled Madsen and held him down. Browne threw a few punches at him. Security jumped in and covered him and tried to get Madsen out of the ring. At that point, Davey Boy Smith Jr., the nephew of Bret, jumped on top of Madsen and started throwing left handed punches on him while wearing his sharp Tiger Mask ring. He got about four clean shots in before they pulled him off and security dragged Madsen out of the ring. As Madsen was finally being taken away and at this point was standing and being pulled to the back, Dash Wilder, dressed up in a suit and tie, walked up to Madsen, who was being held, and drilled him with an uppercut that dropped him.

Bret Hart and Neidhart, after things were calmed down, continued their speech. After delivering his speech, Hart was taken to a Brooklyn hospital because of pain and stiffness in his hip. The security guard who Madsen kicked in the ribs was also hospitalized.

“Bret is a cancer survivor, a stroke survivor and one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time,” said Neidhart on Twitter. “He didn’t deserve to be attacked or have his moment or my dad’s diminished. We got it back on track.”

Smith said the reason he didn’t hit the ring immediately is he first thought maybe WWE was shooting an angle, but said that when he saw Shane McMahon and Travis Browne in, he realized that wasn’t the case.

“I would have hit the ring immediately had I known right away it was a shoot.”

Smith said he was so enraged by the situation that he was looking to hurt the guy but Paul Wight and Shane McMahon pulled him off and Shane was yelling “Harry, Harry, stop, stop, no more, he’s going to jail.” Wight was also pleading with him to stop. Smith suffered a cut knuckle from the punches.

According to those on the scene, after Madsen tackled and pulled Bret down and also knocked Nattie over, he was clearly attempting on the ground to hurt Bret but the other talent in the front row instantly hit the ring, most notably Browne, who attacked the attacker and the others helped pull him off.

(The rest of the recap is talking about the dude's criminal past)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for that, @RIPPA

I'm not naming the attacker, I'll give him another name. Cunt.

I'd choose a different name like Asshole but I agree nonetheless.

I will say that aside from the punishment he gets I hope they get him some psychiatric help.  Reading the rest of his history he seems like somebody with issues that would need to be checked out.

• Like 1