DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2019

Brian Fowler

20 minutes ago, AverageKong said:

Do you think Torrie is a worse inductee than Tammy "Sunny" Sytch? Or that Sunny's career was more memorable or impactful?

I dont think any woman has made the WWE more money through marketing and promotion than Torrie Wilson. Not Sunny, Sable, Stacy, Trish, or Lita. 

Tammy had all the notoriety from being in that "most downloaded woman on the Internet" (aol) along with cindy margolis at the time. 

I'd think, to the general public, stacy being o. dancing and dating clooney, would give her the highest Q rating of almost all the women performers in the company's history (except maybe Stephanie). 

Edited by odessasteps

Legacy wing inductees: Bruiser Brody, Wahoo McDaniel, Luna Vachon, SD Jones, Professor Toru Tanaka, Primo Carnera, creator of MSG Network Joseph Cohen, former WWF President Hisashi Shinma, & Buddy Rose

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Buddy Rose, fuck yes.

That's a great list, made even better because we'll never have to sit through a video package of Brody's shitty looking offense and tendency to instantly get up after he takes any move and try to somehow glorify it.

Edited by Matt D

Torrie as a hall of famer doesn't bother me at all.  She wasn't a great wrestler, don't get me wrong, but that isn't why she's going into the hall of fame.  Seriously, she had a bigger impact on the business than Ivory, despite Ivory being better in almost every way.

I'm actually kind of shocked that Bruiser Brody isn't already in the hall of fame, that seems like a pretty big oversight.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Buddy Rose, fuck yes.

That's a great list, made even better because we'll never have to sit through a video package of Brody's shitty looking offense and tendency to instantly get up after he takes any move and try to somehow glorify it.

Huss, my good sir, just... huss.

- RAF

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I really am amused that just to taunt @Matt D - that of all the classes Rose goes in on, it is the one with Brody

I'm hoping that those are our hidden gems next week though. If we get some 70s Wahoo out of this and some new Buddy Rose, it's worth the association.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm actually kind of shocked that Bruiser Brody isn't already in the hall of fame, that seems like a pretty big oversight.

The whole being dead thing is the huge factor (not even factoring in the circumstances around his death)

Remember they did classes from 93-96 and then didn't do them again for a decade.

And 95 was the first time they put in anyone deceased (Rocca and Grand Wizard). And then Vince Sr was the only one from 96

So when it restarted in 05, it was catchup time and clearly they focused on folks who had been WWF 80s stars (Studd, JYD for example in 95)

Also remember that when the classes of the Aughts were being put together - Jim Ross had a lot of sway.

It also didn't help that people like Eddie Guerrero were dying

The dead people that got in either had to be the absolute top tier and in the public consciousness (like Gorgeous George), universally beloved with a lot of footage (like Mr. Perfect who also had a celebrity inductor), or with some strong connection to the current roster (like the Shiek, who RVD/Sabu could induct during the ECW revival). Flair pushed for Wahoo for years, for instance, but to no avail. If they were leaning more into a Luke Harper push at some point over the last few years, I could have seen Brody get a real entry. The other way would have been if Taker wanted to induct him or something.

Edited by Matt D

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I can see them putting in both in the regular class next year despite the legacy classes.

I doubt both. They tend to do one dead person a year in the main class

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I doubt both. They tend to do one dead person a year in the main class

I did not word that right at all. I meant that I can see them going in the regular class in general, not necessarily at the same time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I feel like the Legacy group tends to have their prime pre-84. 

All the previous ones did but Luna's inclusion this year changes that

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jimmy Hart is inducting Honky Tonk Man to the surprise of probably no one

The only question in my mind was whether or not Lawler was currently on speaking terms with cousin Honky.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

The dead people that got in either had to be the absolute top tier and in the public consciousness (like Gorgeous George), universally beloved with a lot of footage (like Mr. Perfect who also had a celebrity inductor), or with some strong connection to the current roster (like the Shiek, who RVD/Sabu could induct during the ECW revival). Flair pushed for Wahoo for years, for instance, but to no avail. If they were leaning more into a Luke Harper push at some point over the last few years, I could have seen Brody get a real entry. The other way would have been if Taker wanted to induct him or something.

Even with them, the modern names and names that would make sense as real inductions are questions. Wahoo was a big Jets star before going into wrestling- there's no excuse for him not being one of the inductees normally, and Luna was a close enough contemporary people would remember her for a real induction.

Surprising that Jim Barnett didn't get one of the legacy inductions like the early rumors had swirled about. 

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

All the previous ones did but Luna's inclusion this year changes that

Women who died tragically seem to be slightly different? I could see them sneaking Elizabeth in this way, to be honest. 

Demolition. They're embroiled in the lawsuit now and with every year that passes, it becomes less special for them to be inducted in that sort of Jarrett/Angle/etc. way.

Isn't the answer probably CM Punk though? I think the money will be there from the video game company at some point to make it happen.

Granted, I'm of the opinion that the WWE HOF should be a WWF/WWE Hall of Fame first and foremost, far more than a general wrestling one, so a guy like Sabu doesn't move the needle more than any other ECW guy (Raven moves it more, Sandman, New Jack, etc.)