DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2019

Brian Fowler

18 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Gene Simmonds is the biggest asshole on planet Earth but do you think he'd get boo'd off the stage at a Kiss convention? 

Gene Simmons should be boo'd anywhere he goes. Kiss fucking sucks.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Gene Simmonds is the biggest asshole on planet Earth but do you think he'd get boo'd off the stage at a Kiss convention? 

A full crowd?  Probably not.  But I'd boo him as I always preferred Paul Stanley even if he's got his own quirks/issues.

After that horrific parasailing accident I'd say it's a miracle Brother Brutii is still alive today, much less able to resume an active career for another 20-plus years. He'd been improving steadily, and who knows how good he might have gotten if it hadn't happened?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I genuinely think that Torrie Wilson is challenging Koko B. Ware and the Godfather for worst inductee ever.

There's a whole history of Continental and Georgia that removes Koko from this conversation.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, KidNatural said:

I genuinely think that Torrie Wilson is challenging Koko B. Ware and the Godfather for worst inductee ever.

The Godfather has a case for worse inductee ever, but Koko gets a bad rap.  If you had the choice to watch The Godfather's best match or any random Koko B. Ware match, I bet you'd watch the Koko match.  

Nikolai Volkoff has a case for worst inductee.  I can't think of a single second of Volkoff that I found to be any good.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The Godfather has a case for worse inductee ever, but Koko gets a bad rap.  If you had the choice to watch The Godfather's best match or any random Koko B. Ware match, I bet you'd watch the Koko match.  

Nikolai Volkoff has a case for worst inductee.  I can't think of a single second of Volkoff that I found to be any good.  

Well, I mean, he did have a massive string of sellouts feuding with Bruno in 76 and a later feud with Backlund.  So while we only think of stuff from the PPV era, there a bunch of guys who's best days were already behind them.

A glance over the HoF list, the only two workers I have issue with being in are Godfather and Torrie.  I'm hard pressed to think of anything memorable that they've done, or that they have any measurable impact in the larger picture.

Just now, Raziel said:

I'm hard pressed to think of anything memorable that they've done, or that they have any measurable impact in the larger picture.

Torrie made me hard pressed with some impactful larger pictures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/1/2019 at 11:45 AM, supremebve said:

I can't think of a wrestler I enjoyed less for a longer period of time than Brutus Beefcake.  Sure, there were moments when he was adequate, but the amount of time that he was a complete and total waste of a roster spot was far longer than the time when he was even decent.  Sure he was memorable, too bad he was memorably terrible.

My friend, if your earliest memory of Ed Leslie is as Brutus Beefcake, you have yet to sufficiently pay your dues when it comes to the true levels of awfulness that this man was able to achieve. You are hereby directed to seek out footage from Don Owen's Portland, OR based promotion and study the ghastliness that we recall as "Dizzy Hogan". DH was Leslie with bleached-blonde hair and mustache, who spent most of his time strutting around flexing his biceps. How bad was he? Rip Oliver did the heavy lifting of their tagteam, that's how bad he was. When you are the number two guy on a team with Rip Oliver, you don't just suck, you are a veritable blackhole of suckitude capable of engulfing whole planets. Let's put it this way, he made Billy Jack Haynes seem like Harley Race when it came to ringwork to merely dismiss his work as vile would be to seriously enoble it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

Spoken like a man who has never watched the artist we know and love as "Sweet Brown Sugar".

Seriosuly, Koko was awesome for most of his career and when he first hit WWF they put him in some pretty good TV main events (inclkuding a match or 2 against Savage). Yeah he became an upper tier enhancement guy but you always got a good amtch out of koko no matter who put him in with.

James

• Like 3

Yeah. It's also important to keep in mind- in the 1980s Observer era, Koko B. Ware was the guy they were whining WWF didn't strap a rocket to, which in itself gives him some semblance of importance as a proto-smark darling.

Personally on the men's side, I use Hillbilly Jim as the line: If you were better than Hillbilly Jim, you belong in the HOF. If you weren't, you do not (and I'd argue Beefcake is more deserving than Jim- both guys were awful in the ring, but Beefcake managed to hit a higher height than Hillbilly Jim ever did.) 

Jim seems to be a good point for the line because it's a good perfect storm: There's no real justification for Hillbilly Jim in the Hall of Fame kayfabe-wise, there's no real justification for Hillbilly Jim in the Hall OUT of kayfabe-wise...but he still FEELS like he belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame, even though the hell if you can point to a reason why.

Edited by SorceressKnight
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brandon-E said:

Will Christian enter the WWE HOF on his own or are we more likely to see Edge become a two-time inductee?

You would think he goes in next year in Tampa. But, you know, Vince ...

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Volkoff was a living, breathing heat machine in his prime and an entirely serviceable worker. If this makes any sense, he may not have been a very good wrestler but he was REALLY fucking good at professional wrestling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Volkoff was a living, breathing heat machine in his prime and an entirely serviceable worker. If this makes any sense, he may not have been a very good wrestler but he was REALLY fucking good at professional wrestling.

For what its worth, I only know Volkoff as the singing heel when I was very young, and the million dollar man's lackey.  I don't remember how good he was as a singing heel, but he was terrible as Ted Dibiase's lackey, even though the 1 cent sign was hilarious.

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

For what its worth, I only know Volkoff as the singing heel when I was very young, and the million dollar man's lackey.  I don't remember how good he was as a singing heel, but he was terrible as Ted Dibiase's lackey, even though the 1 cent sign was hilarious.

If we are just judging things based on the million dollar corporation, then Dibiase doesn't get into the Hall either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

If we are just judging things based on the million dollar corporation, then Dibiase doesn't get into the Hall either.

Hell, Austin doesn't get in by that criteria

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 5:52 PM, Raziel said:

A glance over the HoF list, the only two workers I have issue with being in are Godfather and Torrie.  I'm hard pressed to think of anything memorable that they've done, or that they have any measurable impact in the larger picture.

Do you think Torrie is a worse inductee than Tammy "Sunny" Sytch? Or that Sunny's career was more memorable or impactful?

I dont think any woman has made the WWE more money through marketing and promotion than Torrie Wilson. Not Sunny, Sable, Stacy, Trish, or Lita.