DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2019

Brian Fowler

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have a hard time putting the Busters that high, because it was a pretty short run. I mean, they were a great tag team, but they were only in WWF for about 13 months.

Hell, they were only a regular tag team, period, for like 2 1/2 years.

Yeah. I think that’s why they aren’t in the Observer HOF either. Oddly, I think the team is not better than the sum of their parts. 

You could argue both of them were parts of better teams (Arn with Stubbs and Ole, Tully with Gino). 

20 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Anvil held his own during that time.  He did that sick ass missle slingshot shoulder block from the outside to the inside of the ring that was dope.  He also had the super cool hat he started wearing.  

Screen-Shot-2018-09-02-at-3.55.10-PM.png

For some reason, I always thought that was a shower cap he wore lol

Edited by CreativeControl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/26/2019 at 12:42 PM, odessasteps said:

Yeah. I think that’s why they aren’t in the Observer HOF either. Oddly, I think the team is not better than the sum of their parts. 

You could argue both of them were parts of better teams (Arn with Stubbs and Ole, Tully with Gino). 

For what it's worth, my favorite Arn pairing was with Zbyszko.  

• Like 2

Of all the places they could have inducted Cindi Lauper this made the most sense.  But nevermind that noise, let's just put Brutus in instead!

I don't believe they have a celebrity induction this year so the only way this makes sense to me is if they reached out to her and when that fell through (scheduling conflicts?) they chose Brutus instead.  At least that would be the excuse they would give.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Clarified last paragraph after seeing Craig's response.

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Of all the places they could have inducted Cindi Lauper this made the most sense.  But nevermind that noise, let's just put Brutus in instead!

I don't believe they have a celebrity induction this year so the only way this makes sense to me is if they reached out to her and when that fell through (scheduling conflicts?) they chose Brutus instead.

or Bam Bam and Bundy

Bruti's HoF ring and plaque are going to end up in a Newark pawn shop by Monday, so he has some coke money.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh for fucks sake. Cyndi Lauper is just never going to be inducted.

And I refuse to hear anything about her having scheduling conflicts since 1) it's idle speculation and 2) she has repeatedly shot down that rumor in the past saying she had nothing going on.

Brutus has been reported as the last member for weeks so I am not sure why folks are surprised.

This was in the last WON

The Hart Foundation and Ed Leslie (Brutus Beefcake), whose names had come out weeks ago, will be the last two acts inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.

In fact - with going back in this thread, I am pretty sure Beefcake's name was in the same report as Torrie Wilson's

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is just proof that Hogan is all the way back in the good graces of the WWE.  I can't think of anyone else who thinks Brother Bruti is a hall of famer.

He’s absolutely a WWE Hall of Famer, no question.

• Like 2

I can't think of a wrestler I enjoyed less for a longer period of time than Brutus Beefcake.  Sure, there were moments when he was adequate, but the amount of time that he was a complete and total waste of a roster spot was far longer than the time when he was even decent.  Sure he was memorable, too bad he was memorably terrible.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Given what the WWE's Hall of Fame is, Brutus is a slam-dunker really. Super-over upper-midcarder, main evented on pay-per-view, memorable character. He deserves it.

He does deserve it and I liked him fine enough as a kid.  But I think that the idea of him as the last one going in this year and not somebody more deserving is what irks me about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most iconic moment of Beefcake's career is the Rockers splitting up on the set of the Barber Shop. Which had nothing to do with him, other than the fact that he was there when it happened. Also true of all his other career highlights (tagging with Hogan, and feuding with Hogan; Autocorrect is very keen on everyone knowing he was also feeding with Hogan, so we'll add that too).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

The most iconic moment of Beefcake's career is the Rockers splitting up on the set of the Barber Shop. Which had nothing to do with him, other than the fact that he was there when it happened. Also true of all his other career highlights (tagging with Hogan, and feuding with Hogan; Autocorrect is very keen on everyone knowing he was also feeding with Hogan, so we'll add that too).

You could argue his turning face at WM3 by helping Piper and kickstarting his run as The Barber was a big moment. I wonder if anyone in audience yells "Kill yourself" during his speech as a callback to that infamous Raw promo.

These were some pretty big Beefcake moments as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

It's the WWE Hall of Fame.

The #3 babyface in 89, not far off the height of the boom, probably should get in without question. He basically main evented three major ppvs teaming with Hogan as well as the disaster that was Starrcade 94. He was one of the 8 wrestlers in WWF Wrestlemania Challenge and the other 7 are all in. He was legitimately over for a period of about two years. 

Some of the stories of him being horrible to promoters in the last year should have given them pause, but when does something like that ever give them pause?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

He does deserve it and I liked him fine enough as a kid.  But I think that the idea of him as the last one going in this year and not somebody more deserving is what irks me about it.

Do they usually save big inductees for the last announcement? 

I think your view of Beefcake probably depends on your age. I was all in on him winning the IC tournament after Warrior beat Hogan and vacated the belt. I was so bummed when he was eliminated via double CO against Bravo, then his accident took place shortly thereafter.

Edited by JonnyLaw

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's the WWE Hall of Fame.

The #3 babyface in 89, not far off the height of the boom, probably should get in without question. He basically main evented three major ppvs teaming with Hogan as well as the disaster that was Starrcade 94. He was one of the 8 wrestlers in WWF Wrestlemania Challenge and the other 7 are all in. He was legitimately over for a period of about two years. 

Some of the stories of him being horrible to promoters in the last year should have given them pause, but when does something like that ever give them pause?

The #3 babyface who was best friends with the #1 babyface.  He main evented 3 PPVs, because he was best friends with the #1 babyface.  He was in the main event of one of the worst wrestling shows in history.  He was one of 9 people in WWF Wrestlemania Challenge, and 7 of the others are in, and if we're putting Brutus Beefcake in, I don't know why you aren't putting yourself in to make it 9 for 9.  You're probably just as deserving.  He was over for a period of about 2 years, but spent another 15 being a total waste of space.  If we were running out of more deserving people, I can see Brutus Beefcake making it, but there are plenty of people who are deserving who aren't in for me to think he has any place in a hall of fame.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The #3 babyface who was best friends with the #1 babyface.  He main evented 3 PPVs, because he was best friends with the #1 babyface.  He was in the main event of one of the worst wrestling shows in history.  He was one of 9 people in WWF Wrestlemania Challenge, and 7 of the others are in, and if we're putting Brutus Beefcake in, I don't know why you aren't putting yourself in to make it 9 for 9.  You're probably just as deserving.  He was over for a period of about 2 years, but spent another 15 being a total waste of space.  If we were running out of more deserving people, I can see Brutus Beefcake making it, but there are plenty of people who are deserving who aren't in for me to think he has any place in a hall of fame.

This is a legitimately good line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wasn't really feeling the HOF this year. But you put Hogan on stage in front of a smarky fly-in crowd without the cover of Mean Gene's death, I'm mildly curious to see the reaction. 

I would hope the fucker gets booed out of the building but if people still cheer Vince (even after his part in the Kofi story) then I'm not betting on that happening.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would hope the fucker gets booed out of the building but if people still cheer Vince (even after his part in the Kofi story) then I'm not betting on that happening.

Gene Simmonds is the biggest asshole on planet Earth but do you think he'd get boo'd off the stage at a Kiss convention? 

• Like 1