DVDVR Message Board

The Man Comes Around - Raw - 2/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

57 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Yeah, I was thinking of that dude when I made the suggestion. I still don't get why he has an albino Chia pet for a head of hair though. 

It's a regular Chia pet.  He just didn't take care of it like he was supposed to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, James F'n X said:

I seem to remember them having done this finish once before. Can't remember where, though.

Most recently Styles/Cena/Ambrose at No Mercy 2016 where Styles tapped to double submissions, the ref could not determine a winner and just continued the match.

• Like 2

Say what you will about the casual Raw fan not having any knowledge of who is who in NXT (which is debatable, a lot of my casual fan friends watch Takeover, for example) EC3 was the centerpiece in those NXT packages for WEEKS. Certainly enough to pique some interest. The reality is EC3 fucking sucks when a) his mouth is closed and b) when the bell rings. Debuting him as a silent jock Mark Jindrak clone is spectacularly dumb. 

On the subject of dudes debuting from NXT, people certainly took to Finn Balor and rallied behind him into Summerslam before Seth crippled him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Most recently Styles/Cena/Ambrose at No Mercy 2016 where Styles tapped to double submissions, the ref could not determine a winner and just continued the match.

I watched that match but have no recollection of this. What submission did Ambrose use?

14 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Why is this still a talking point again? There are four titles on each main show, one inter-brand title, one title for 205, four titles for NXT, and three titles for NXT-UK. Should we just go ahead and have every single wrestler in the company have their own personalized title, so everyone can be a champion and the titles can mean even less?

I'd love to hear the argument from proponents of the Mania Triple Threat that Becky going over Charlotte and not beating Rousey would somehow be a better story and get Becky more over than the one-on-one match with Rousey.

It's only a problem if people actually bail - Eddie's in the RAW thread every week, if he's not going to stop watching then what difference does it make?

Ratings have been going down every year and they will keep going down. I only watch a Youtube clip once in awhile and even that is a chore. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

So you're still watching and giving WWE YouTube views?

LOL yeah one or two videos a week. Don't spend it all in one place. Oh wait and a posts on a message board. What is the dollar conversion to that?

There is a mass fan exodus and has been going on for years and it has accelerated since 2015. Who still says "smark", is it 2002?

I love how Dean has been the evil scumbag for months now, and then we just forget about it. Because of his "raw sexual magnestism"?(bonus points to whoever came up with that line). Nia is a waste of space and I could do without ever having to see EC3(or EC1 or EC2)on my tv but it feels like Ambrose is trying to pretend like he gives a shit so I'll take it.

They really need to just have Ronda drop the whole pretense that she is a rational person and cares about professionalism and run with more stuff like the "ice and advil, bitch" line. She's not going to be cheered against Becky. Let's not try to fight that. Run with it. If the point of all her interactions with Becky is supposed to be that "The Man" has rattled her like no one before, run with it. Make Ronda more unhinged and play into her...let's be nice and say quirky personality. Have her talk about ripping Becky's leg off and all the horrible things she wants to do. It's WrestleMania, don't play nice. BRING THE HATE

8 hours ago, Victator said:

LOL yeah one or two videos a week. Don't spend it all in one place. Oh wait and a posts on a message board. What is the dollar conversion to that?

There is a mass fan exodus and has been going on for years and it has accelerated since 2015. Who still says "smark", is it 2002?

It just means you care, is all - you're still keeping up. They haven't lost you, so you aren't part of the (fake) exodus (that isn't happening). You're hovering around waiting to be drawn back in. 

And I will happily say "smark" for as long as the so-called "smart" fans keep acting like marks. It's only derisive to those who think they're smarter than the average fan.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Have they ever did a finish in a triple threat where both of the challengers had the champion simultaneously locked in submissions and the champion tapped out or passed out? Ronda passing out while locked in a cross arm breaker/figure eight combo at least provides them an out to have her lose without anybody individually defeating her. Then the match proceeds as a three-way elimination match normally would after they do the whole rigmarole of having Steph or whoever come down and declare there must be a winner between Becky and Charlotte. I mean they could just make it a three-way elimination match from the get go but they'd never pass up a chance to pile some more convoluted melodrama on top of a finish.    

It wasn't a title match, but Joe and Sami had Corbin in a sharpshooter/crossface combo submission in a #1 contenders match in NXT.

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

See, this is why we need eliminations in triple threat and fatal 4-ways.

That's how those matches happened in ECW. Last time I recall WWE doing that was at WrestleMania XXXIII for the WWE RAW Women's Championship: Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Nia Jax.

• Like 1

The problem I see with elimination-style three-way matches is that it makes it so obvious that the best strategy is to make peace with one of your opponents, beat the crap out of the third person two-on-one, and eliminate them first. Making a similar deal in a WWE-style triple threat isn't a terrible idea either of course, but the deal has to end sometime, and when it does the third person is still in the match and can make a comeback.

I suppose the counter argument would be that three-way matches should only happen when all three competitors hate each other enough that they wouldn't make such a deal. If Ronda/Becky/Charlotte winds up happening elimination-style would probably work fine for that match.

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

The problem I see with elimination-style three-way matches is that it makes it so obvious that the best strategy is to make peace with one of your opponents, beat the crap out of the third person two-on-one, and eliminate them first. Making a similar deal in a WWE-style triple threat isn't a terrible idea either of course, but the deal has to end sometime, and when it does the third person is still in the match and can make a comeback.

I suppose the counter argument would be that three-way matches should only happen when all three competitors hate each other enough that they wouldn't make such a deal. If Ronda/Becky/Charlotte winds up happening elimination-style would probably work fine for that match.

I like elimination style matches when it's setting up something big when the first person loses.  Anarchy Rules '99 stands out because Taz was pinned and he lost the title.  If you knew he was on his way out it was obvious but him losing first gave him a sendoff of sorts and built up excitement to who would be the new champ.  This type of scenario doesn't happen much but doing it this way definitely worked for the match.  If it was just first person wins then that would have put a "what if" type scenario if Taz wasn't the one that took the fall.

The more I think about it the more I'd be on board with this happening if they insert Charlotte into the title match.  Heck, you could even have Ronda lose first (by Becky of course) and it would lead to a "Who will be the new champ?" type of match.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like elimination style matches when it's setting up something big when the first person loses.  Anarchy Rules '99 stands out because Taz was pinned and he lost the title.  If you knew he was on his way out it was obvious but him losing first gave him a sendoff of sorts and built up excitement to who would be the new champ.  This type of scenario doesn't happen much but doing it this way definitely worked for the match.  If it was just first person wins then that would have put a "what if" type scenario if Taz wasn't the one that took the fall.

The more I think about it the more I'd be on board with this happening if they insert Charlotte into the title match.  Heck, you could even have Ronda lose first (by Becky of course) and it would lead to a "Who will be the new champ?" type of match.

That was a Paul Heyman staple. Eliminate the champion first so everyone gets on the edge of their seats knowing they are gonna see a title change for the entire rest of the match.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You go own a fucking Chia Pet with cats living in your house, and see how you like it.

Not Chia Pet related, but close enough. When I was about nine, I bought my mom the Clapper for Christmas with my allowance money. We lived with my grandmother since my father was a deadbeat. Unfortunately, the wall outlets in yia yia's house weren't compatible with the Clapper, so it went back to Rite Aid. In hindsight, I guess I should have gone with the Chia Pet.

• Haha 3