DVDVR Message Board

UFC 234: Adesanya vs. Silva (2/9/2019) - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Rod Laver Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

DtjQFkbW4AEF3ry.jpg?1543934058

UFC 234: Adesanya vs. Silva
February 9, 2019 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Rod Laver Arena)

Israel Adesanya (185) vs. Anderson Silva (186) - Adesanya, DEC (unanimous)
Landon Vannata (156) vs. Marcos Mariano (155) - Vannata, SUB (kimura), R1 (4:55)
Rani Yahya (135) vs. Ricky Simon (135) - Simon, DEC (unanimous)
Montana De La Rosa (125) vs. Nadia Kassem (124) - De La Rosa, SUB (armbar), R2 (2:37)
Jim Crute (206) vs. Sam Alvey (205) - Crute, TKO (punches), R1 (2:49)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Devonte Smith (156) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (156) - Smith, KO (punches), R1 (3:53)
Shane Young (145) vs. Austin Arnett (145) - Young, DEC (unanimous)
Kai Kara-France (125) vs. Raulian Paiva (125) - Kara-France, DEC (split)
Teruto Ishihara (136) vs. Kyung Ho Kang (136) - Kang, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:59)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Jalin Turner (155) vs. Callan Porter (156) - Turner, KO (punches), R1 (0:53)
Buren Wuliji (136) vs. Jonathan Martinez (136) - Martinez, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Devonte Smith
Performance of the Night:  Montana De La Rosa
Fight of the Night: Israel Adesanya vs. Anderson Silva

Attendance: 15,238
Gate: $2.5 million
Buyrate: 175,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Ryan Spann vs. Jim Crute - Injury to Spann (Hand)
Alex Gorgees vs. Jalin Turner - Injury to Gorgees
Robert Whittaker vs. Kelvin Gastelum - Injury to Whittaker (Hernia)

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Romero missed weight last time so it didn't count as a defense.

Correct. However, in my mind, it's still a defense because if the UFC can retroactively make Khabib-Iaquinta a title fight with Iaquinta being 0.2 lbs over then Whittaker-Romero II is one too. Champions in boxing can still get an official title defense when challengers miss weight. If you can lose the title on the scale, you should also be able to not be penalized for your opponent missing weight especially under odd circumstances. Nancy Illg, the commission director, made the call to stop the weight cut w/o the doctor's advice because she didn't want him to dehydrate himself even more. The thing is...Illinois gives you two hours. What the fuck does she think other fighters are doing in those two hours? Getting strong like Popeye? If the doctor made the call, I would absolutely have no problem with it especially w/ the video surfacing of said weight cut. If it's a shitty policy though, get rid of the policy. Also, if you don't trust the commission doctors to make the right decision when it comes to fighter safety, why the fuck do trust them enough to work for the commission? That's extremely dangerous as well.

i retroactively count Whittaker-Romero II a title defense just like i count Anderson Silva-Lutter a title defense. the champ did everything right on their part, so it shouldn't count against them for things like this.

i understand why this can't be the official line, but i just don't care.

• Like 2

Any thoughts on the main and co main?

It's certainly interesting that two guys who kinda underperformed at welterweight are fighting in a legit middleweight championship bout after people thought of Chris Weidman and Luke Rockhold as the de facto 1 and 2 (in no order before they actually fought) of the division like GSP and Jon Fitch.

I'm legit excited for both. I'm more worried about Whittaker in this fight than I was in the Romero fight.

I haven't seen much of Israel before now, but his Stone Cold Stunner and Rock Bottom both look really good. Knowing practically nothing about him and seeing him positioned where he's at, this is clearly the type of fight where UFC matchmaking intends for Israel to win and where they can later say he beat Anderson Silva, which doesn't actually mean much in 2019. Silva is the bigger question mark. He could get KO'd pretty fast or it may be a long, drawn out decision. Either way, I'm intrigued.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm legit excited for both. I'm more worried about Whittaker in this fight than I was in the Romero fight.

I haven't seen much of Israel before now, but his Stone Cold Stunner and Rock Bottom both look really good. Knowing practically nothing about him and seeing him positioned where he's at, this is clearly the type of fight where UFC matchmaking intends for Israel to win and where they can later say he beat Anderson Silva, which doesn't actually mean much in 2019. Silva is the bigger question mark. He could get KO'd pretty fast or it may be a long, drawn out decision. Either way, I'm intrigued.

Looking back at the Brunson fight for Adesanya, it was absurd how bad some of those strikes being thrown at Israel. Brunson basically walked straight into the woodchipper by doing that. With Anderson being a counter striker, I think we're in for a long drawn out fight and then maybe Israel catches him. Also, we saw how hero worship changed something like Mirko CroCop and Pat Barry. Adesanya is obviously way more talented than the latter, but I think it may be a situation where he wants to have a fight of the night instead having the mentality of turning it into James Toney against Iran Barkley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

How many injuries/complications has this guy endured recently? Fucking brutal.

I think if he wasn't beset by injuries, he could have an incredible run at MW. His body has just shut down, unfortunately.

• Like 1