DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2019 NXT DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

You're right, that's a really good match that I forgot about. I'm gonna watch it right now. It just seems odd to hire a guy because he can do those things and then have him not do them. Same with Keith Lee really, but he gets by on his power moves. Maybe they just want to save the highspots for when it means something, which I would actually approve of now that I think about it.

They did too many agility spots, for sure. But to have them never break them out is not the way to go either. They shouldn't be doing them in squashes but in competitive matches the odd time, yeah. How do you not fall in love with Keith Lee when he hits the tope con giro, nails the landing, then does he rad smirk? 

• Like 3

Got back from the Kingston show- more of the same for the Lowell and Toms River shows before.

Some of it was surprising (Mansoor made the show in a squash to Ryker when he didn't show up on some other results). 

Biggest surprise from the show is more a main event thing than an NXT thing: First show in Kingston was sold out (with Balor/Nakamura/Bayley era), this show had a pretty full crowd (with Gargano/Ciampa as the big names). The second show, you could count the people in the stands for that era/top champs, so...I'm not sure if it's a small size or not, but I don't think Drew McIntyre is "the guy".

Lee and Dijak are definitely each others best opponents. Their series across the indys was great. IIRC a lot of people thought their WM weekend match from Orlando was the best match of weekend as it was 2 big men just constantly trying to one up each other with athletic spots they shouldn't be able to pull off.

As for Dijak, I can safely say he will be busting out his athletic spots in NXT soon which is a big plus as that was one his best feats before getting signed.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Got back from the Kingston show- more of the same for the Lowell and Toms River shows before.

Some of it was surprising (Mansoor made the show in a squash to Ryker when he didn't show up on some other results). 

Biggest surprise from the show is more a main event thing than an NXT thing: First show in Kingston was sold out (with Balor/Nakamura/Bayley era), this show had a pretty full crowd (with Gargano/Ciampa as the big names). The second show, you could count the people in the stands for that era/top champs, so...I'm not sure if it's a small size or not, but I don't think Drew McIntyre is "the guy".

What did you think of the show? Did you have fun? NXT is pretty much the only wrestling I follow really closely now so I'm always curious to see what others think of it.

12 minutes ago, Edwin said:

What did you think of the show? Did you have fun? NXT is pretty much the only wrestling I follow really closely now so I'm always curious to see what others think of it.

Every time I go to an NXT show I have a lot of fun, first off. I've been to every NXT show since they added Kingston, RI to the mix and make it a point to go (if only because them actually adding Rhode Island to the tour needs to be supported as one of the smaller cities that gets on the NXT jaunts.) 

It was slightly surprising for some of them, but only because I asked who was on the Toms River show somewhere else and it was surprising who did make it (LeRae off the card, but Mansoor surprisingly made it.)  It was pretty big as well, since I hadn't seen much NXT last year on the show and am trying to get through a backlog (into August right now.) 

It does seem to be turning the corner, since it's getting closer to the NXT I loved so much instead of the "old era" (I thought the era where there was that good mix of characters and indy darlings was perfect, and NXT had become a little too much of a "Triple H is playing EWR" for my tastes beforehand, with fewer awesome gimmicks and more 'take indy darling, debut them at Takeover, coast for a a taping, repeat.") 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

That's fantastic. These PC documentaries always deliver.

I'm not a massive Riddick Moss fan, but this gives me a new appreciation to him. It sucks when the Full Sail crap on him (and anyone else for that matter) with the ridiculous you can't wrestle chants simply because they're not former indy games who brought a name over.

Trevor Lee
ACH
Jonah Rock
Rachael Ellering
Karen Q
Ex-Impact wrestler Sam Shaw 
Scott Parker and Shane Matthews 
Elliot Sexton
Nick Comoroto
Omari Palmer
Ricardo Miller

That's the class (for those that don't know Twitter handles)

I'm all for Trevor Lee, ACH and Jonah Rock.

I'm definitely making next weeks tapings early as I'm sure someone will be working a dark match.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

That's fantastic. These PC documentaries always deliver.

I'm not a massive Riddick Moss fan, but this gives me a new appreciation to him. It sucks when the Full Sail crap on him (and anyone else for that matter) with the ridiculous you can't wrestle chants simply because they're not former indy games who brought a name over.

I gotta disagree with this. There are past and present nxt guys and girls who didn't necessarily have the indy cred and didn't get shit on. Of the current nxt roster, I think the best examples are Velveteen and the Street Profits. I also don't recall Lars Sullivan ever getting that treatment. 

From how it comes across on the shows, Full Sail seems like a pretty accepting crowd and willing to give the wrestlers and their characters a chance. Neither Moss or Sabbatelli look particularly good in the ring and their rich, cocky athlete gimmick has been done before and better than they do it.

• Like 3

I work about 5 minutes from the Performance Center and constantly run into NXT wrestlers on my lunch break and leaving work.

Ran into Sami Zayn twice as I recycling old equipment across the street from the PC. Ran into Velveteen Dream at the post office before he began playing the character. Ran into Neville and Paige at Florida Mall. Ran into Asuka leaving work. Ran into Peyton Royce at Subway. And just ran into Karen Q at Chipotle. No, no photos. I don't like taking photos or approaching them like a weirdo, but I thought that's cool and I'd share it with you all.

One of my former coworkers who worked as a security guard for the company I work for also worked as a security guard at NXT shows. He's told me a crazy story about an obsessive chick that hid under a car and tried to rush at Baron Corbin. He also told me Triple H is super cool and that they've appointed him as security for Eva Marie during WrestleMania Axxess here. Also he worked as security for that promo with Enzo and Cass at Universal Studios.

This shouldn't have made me laugh as much as it did

Side note - is that the first time they acknowledged Roderick and Marina are together? 

They probably have but memory sucks

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Side note - is that the first time they acknowledged Roderick and Marina are together? 

No. Don't forget the 2 part promo series for Roddy leading up to his title shot where it showed his home life and how him and Marina were getting ready for their new born. 

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is fantastic. This is the type of thing that makes me wish they will keep them together even when they make it on the main roster.

Bobby Fish has really turned it around since returning from injury and has gotten good on the mic. His entire promo some weeks ago which errupted the "Shut Up, Bobby!" at Full Sail was one of the best things.

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just give them all the gold now. Let nxt be the Undisputed Era and 3/4 Horsewomen show...well Shayna more so than Shafir & Duke.

• Like 3