DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING PHOTOS.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:21 PM, PetrolCB said:

You and me both. 

I feel like the reasons are everyone assumes it is copy-written and that they’ll look like they’re ripping off a WWE belt. 

But yeah, many legit beltmakers do offer a big gold design. As well as the Pakistani bootleggers. It’s funny but makes sense some companies use the cheaper belts from over there. I mean, hell, New Japan’s Intercontinental title is a Mideastern bootleg on real leather. Meanwhile their world title was expensive as shit. 

UFC has been using replicas on real leather since 107. Which is smart. Their awful new title is Chinese (I believe, I’d have to check Dan’s twitter) and assembled here in the States. 

If you’re really interested in this stuff, like I am, the Belt Talk forum is a good read. I just lurk there, but have to make a new account every couple of months because if you’re not posting, your account is deleted. 

Okay guys, I don't mean to be pedantic, but the difference is an important one. Belts may trademarked, not copywritten. The difference being that copyright extends for a specific period of years and may be renewed. Basically, once you write something it is "copywritten", and protected under law, you really don't have to send anything to the Library of Congress. 

Here's how it works, if someone (though God only knows why anyone would), were to collect Bix's nonsensical rants from Deadspin and publish them, Bix could sue and would win as that stuff is his intellectual (if that's the word I'm groping for) property and his right to use as he pleases, no one else may do so without his express written permission. 

A trademark covers a commercially used symbol, design or logo, or similar sort of thing. You can trademark the design of a belt, but you cannot copyright it. The big difference between the two is that with a trademark, you use it or you may lose it. There is a reason that cereal manufacturers still hang on to characters like Tony the Tiger and Snap, Crackle & Pop, these are trademarked logos/characters that must be used at least on a somewhat regular basis to avoid losing the trademark. 

End of tutorial. ?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I would have gone with the "I do it in the Gorilla Position"

*EDIT*  correction, it was "I like it in the Gorilla Position" and here's the shirt:

82323a0d4ec74bda9267c6293695292e.png

I actually wore this shirt to an ROH Taping 3 or 4 years ago and Adam Cole cut an (off-camera) promo on me making fun of me for wearing it. It was hilarious.

• Like 2