DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The new one isn't since Thibs was Cashed.

For real. He started showing up in the monthly thread here and I was worrying half the posts were gonna be from a person I had blocked, rendering much of it a chore to read. Luckily he pushed his luck elsewhere. 

• Like 5

Just now, christopher.annino said:

For real. He started showing up in the monthly thread here and I was worrying half the posts were gonna be from a person I had blocked, rendering much of it a chore to read. Luckily he pushed his luck elsewhere. 

Funny, I think reading threads where you have people blocked makes it less of a chore. The real problem is when other people quote them. ;)

• Like 4

Same, and @odessasteps if you dropped into that thread, there was a LOT of quoting, and then he'd post twice in a row many times. It was just ugly to see ?

As for Rusev and Lana, it seems pretty clear that somebody in the company dislikes them, so hopefully they get the hell out of there. Besides being good at the wrestling and personality thing, they seem like fine people. Go prosper elsewhere!

• Like 7

God, as much as 3 Doors Down suck, I was still not ready to watch that tribute video.

In other news, PAC vs. WALTER as well as the Devlin/Starr match I brought up a few pages back are going down this Sunday for OTT. I am hyped. If the battle of all caps, mononymous bad asses isn't a MOTYC I will be greatly disappointed. Whatever happened to that thing in the NXT UK contracts where footage of their matches for other promotions wouldn't be aired? I can watch WALTER's 2019 work for OTT just fine on their pivotshare service. Is that not a thing anymore/ever?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

God, as much as 3 Doors Down suck, I was still not ready to watch that tribute video.

In other news, PAC vs. WALTER as well as the Devlin/Starr match I brought up a few pages back are going down this Sunday for OTT. I am hyped. If the battle of all caps, mononymous bad asses isn't a MOTYC I will be greatly disappointed. Whatever happened to that thing in the NXT UK contracts where footage of their matches for other promotions wouldn't be aired? I can watch WALTER's 2019 work for OTT just fine on their pivotshare service. Is that not a thing anymore/ever?

I saw this hype video for Starr/Devlin on Wreddit. It was amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Whatever happened to that thing in the NXT UK contracts where footage of their matches for other promotions wouldn't be aired?

Doesn't look like its that way for all contracts, probably some sort of tier system with some likely having allowances for such things. For instance Xia Brookside will be touring with Stardom next month. Stardom puts damn near everything on their site.

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The 2020 Royal Rumble will be held in Minute Maid Park in Houston

So it appears the new norm is domed baseball stadiums for Rumbles

I'm surprised, given how tough a time they had selling tickets this year.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The 2020 Royal Rumble will be held in Minute Maid Park in Houston

That was my first thought, Minute Maid Park is a baseball stadium, that's a little unusual.

Then I realized this is my first chance to ever go to a Rumble, so screw it. That's actually a great stadium, curious to see how it will work out for wrestling.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm surprised, given how tough a time they had selling tickets this year.

Houston is a much stronger wrestling market than Phoenix. With WWE seemingly doing everything it can to drive away fans, it may be one of the few cities they can do a decent number for the Rumble by the time January 2020 rolls around.

• Like 1

Oney Lorcan is one of my current top 5 favorites in NXT along with the EU, Ohno and Riddle, so I purchased the Biff Busick Beyond Wrestling comps on SMV and they are well worth the $11.99 each. One is him vs. various opponents and the other is the Eddie Edwards feud. His matches with Drew Gulak and Timothy Thatcher are by far the best, but his series with Edwards is really good and easily the best I've ever seen Edwards look. I missed out on this era of indy wrestling as I wasn't watching any wrestling during these years, but this was some good stuff from then.

Turning 35 this year, and (as you do) realising it is not as old as I used to think it was at 15, I started thinking about where some of my favourites were at 35 and how beat up and broken down (or not) they were. Not wanting to be a downer, I just find you get a new level of empathy with someone when you reach their age:

Mick Foley - had retired at WrestleMania 2000 a couple of months previously, had already sustained that laundry list of injuries on the back cover of his first book, but would still go on to a couple of high profile programmes with Orton/Edge/ whatever that was in TNA

Daniel Bryan - had just retired due to concussions, having spent the last decade being considered the best in the world

The Rock - already a few years removed from his run at the top, having remained virtually injury free and in his physical prime, still 4 years away from his WM match with Cena

Bret Hart - IC champ feuding with Shawn Michaels w/ Sherri, considered a solid worker but a couple of years from being made as a top guy, 4 years from knee scoping etc, almost a decade of active competition ahead of him

• Like 2

I actually watched Eddie/Brock around 11:30 but didn't get around to posting until just now.  It was mainly due to the rabbit hole I went down checking Eddie clips and stuff.  What a wonderful, wonderful match and even Goldberg's part didn't ruin the ending as much as it initially did (gotta setup Wrestlemania somehow, right?)  But it did make me realize something.

Back in 2004 much like a lot of you my two absolute favorites to watch were Eddie and Benoit.  To see them both standing tall as WM20 ended was the highlight of all highlights and for 3 years was something I highly treasured.  Don't need to mention why it was only 3 years but as time went on I stopped watching both of them.  For Benoit it was obvious why I'd stop seeing his matches.  But for Eddie I had no reason why I didn't check out his stuff more often.  He was one of my all-time favorites and while he had many faults I just couldn't judge him.  So until today I was baffled as to why I just don't watch his matches anymore.

But after watching his match with Brock tonight I now know why.  It hurts, man, it really fucking hurts.  Seeing his win and the celebration made me long for the days of him wrestling for at least a good 5 or so years before retiring.  He was a once-in-a-lifetime talent that went through Hell and back to get to where he was.  Once he retired he should have been alive to have that grand HOF induction and respond to the love that people were likely going to give him.   And it just sucks to know that whether it was things leading up to his death (he had some considerable bacne in the match) or his past catching up to him he's gone.  And much like past times watching his stuff especially if I'm in a particular frame of mind his matches and moments somehow bring a tear to my eye.

Sorry for the rambling post but just wanted to get this out there (apologies if it doesn't make sense)  But long story story short it really hurts watching Eddie's matches and I wish he was still around.

• Like 10

I've gone back and watched the Brock match several times and I always get choked up at a minimum. My favorite wrestler ever, the only ppv I ever bought by myself without any friends over or anything. There was no local bar playing it, and I HAD to see Eddy win the belt. 

It will always hurt. He was the best, he was the coolest, and the universe is just too fucking cold and cruel. I can count on one hand the number of title wins that have made me cry, and that will always be number one on the list.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Custos said:

Turning 35 this year, and (as you do) realising it is not as old as I used to think it was at 15, I started thinking about

... whether I was at an age where it was acceptable for me to unironically grow a moustache or whether I should wait til 40