DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Dustin's late 00s run in WWECW shouldn't be neglected. It was also really good. I'm not sure if he gets a run in Hogan-less WCW. There was always something missing charisma-wise when he wasn't wearing paint.

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

Dustin's late 00s run in WWECW shouldn't be neglected. It was also really good. I'm not sure if he gets a run in Hogan-less WCW. There was always something missing charisma-wise when he wasn't wearing paint.

What's really amazing is that was basically a player-coach, winding down his career run. 11 years ago. Half a decade before the tag run with Cody.

These need to be seen. They are next level stuff with incredible editing, production, and most importantly, a fantastic and relatable wrestling story. I broke out the Vince McMahon from South Park line with the opera glasses, "That was the finest wrestling I have ever seen," once I finished watching them. OTT is perhaps the closest thing we still have to a super indie. The rest are done at that level, which sucks. I know the counterargument is always "somebody will always come up and replace signed talent." But now with the rush to sign/hoard talent, people are being signed before they even get a sustained run on the indies. Jungle Boy signed with AEW around the same time he made his PWG debut. It's over.

Warning: David Starr is right at the border of Gargano melodrama bullshit territory. I hope he treads carefully. HBK is obviously a big inspiration for him, as it is with Gargano. The rot runs deep. I do appreciate his rugged, Kurt Russell-esque good looks though and I think he's a significantly more convincing actor than Gargano. Like the looks in those videos look real, not like a guy acting, which is how John boy comes off to me.

Another thing: this would've been the perfect counter to Thibs' "NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH TWO GUYS SAY THEY ARE BETTER!" strawman. Look at the drama you can build when wins and losses matter. Starr has been trying to beat WALTER for years and has come close but can't quite reach the summit. His best friend was about to do it ahead of him and he couldn't handle it. He's not a cartoon villain. He's just a guy with an obsession, like a lot of people. If you treat your stories with respect, stuff like this is possible even without a tonne of forethought. They can sprout more organically. It happens quite often in NJPW too.

• Like 8

Those are great videos. It's amazing how much you can add to a match with well edited promo video. I went from having no idea that feud was even happening to being stoked for the match. I get your criticism of Starr too, he always seems like he's really gunning for an EGOT in big matches.

Which is frustrating because he's both very smart and talented. I do get what he's going for, but maybe just a little bit more subtlety would be nice. If you haven't seen his match with Orange Cassidy from Beyond that RIPPA posted a short while back in the matches thread, do yourself a favour and check it out. He gets some legitimate reactions in the match because he actually stiffed Cassidy, sure, but it made for a compelling match. If this was a thing he did every week, it would be awful. But the stiffness was purposeful and the foundation for a great one off match with a guy that is all about the lolz and being a human sloth in the ring. He got real life fire out of OC and real concern/investment from a hardcore (interest level, not deathmatch) audience, which is very difficult to do. Full marks for that and it's my favourite match of his that didn't feature WALTER.

One of the better NA matches from the indies I saw last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

I know that Goldust and Shawn had a pretty lengthy house show run in ‘96. Any of those matches good/make tape? Weird they never ran that as a IYH main.

I think I prefer Dustin’s WCW work to anything he did in WWE except maybe the tag stuff with Booker and Cody.

I dont know if it is anywhere online, but the WWE Attitude Era 96-02 Unreleased Set has an amazing Shawn Michaels vs Goldust match that was dark at the end of an In Your House PPV and it may be the absolute most "Goldust 1996" match of all time. Its heavier on schtick than workrate but it is a damn fun watch and the finish is great too.

And as a bonus, you get to see Top Face WWF Champion Shawn Michael's spit right in the face of a 13-year old kid in the front row that is giving him shit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ace said:

This is a fringe opinion, but I've never enjoyed Sheamus except for his series with Dustin, which I believe was in this period.

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This is a fringe opinion, but I've never enjoyed Sheamus except for his series with Dustin, which I believe was in this period.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

I fucking hate Sheamus

Let's hug bro

I fucking hate Sheamus. Is a 3-way hug out of the question?

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

9 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I fucking hate Sheamus

Let's hug bro

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I fucking hate Sheamus. Is a 3-way hug out of the question?

...I'll be dodging your death stares as I like Sheamus.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Ace said:

I think Dustin was poised for a HUGE run if Hogan never shows up. Dustin in WCW never really needed to be a great promo or play to the crowd, he had a natural (no pun intended) charisma about him. He was Dusty 2.0 in terms of relation to the "every man" and getting sympathy for his selling minus the gift of gab. BUT when Dustin had something to say, he got his point across in a serious, straight-forward manor. Imagine a The Natural vs Nature Boy main event at Starrcade 94 with Dusty commentating. The story writes itself.

He's also a Liverpool FC supporter. And got knocked out by Yoshitatsu that one time for not cleaning the blender or some such nonsense. Pretty great.

Upper-midcard/tag team Sheamus is good times but that awful tables match with Cena is etched into my memory. Fuck that too soon push.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

...I'll be dodging your death stares as I like Sheamus.

All I really recall about Sheamus is Yoshitatsu beating his ass. Beyond that, I draw blanks at most of his career the past 5 years.

Edit: What timing. Oyaji had the same memory.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I like Sheamus in tag teams. Sheamus goes to ND tailgates and is a ND fan. He's alright in my book.

I like him in tag teams and that Summerslam match with Henry where he got destroyed outside and lost by count out.

The WWE is doing a gauntlet match again among the EC participants (winner enters last)

It’s probably not going 90 minutes again but with the folks involved it could go the full two hours and I doubt many would complain 

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I like Sheamus in tag teams. Sheamus goes to ND tailgates and is a ND fan. He's alright in my book.

I'm kinda with you, Craig. The Bar has really given rise to a Sheamu-ssiance in my house after approval was at an all time low during that League of Nations title reign (not that it was his fault)

When Sheamus was WWE champion the first time I had forgotten the belt existed. That’s how bad he was as champ. But it’s not all his fault. He had no business being the world champion, but he was booked as a fluke heel champion, instead of the beastly champion who beat Cena clean for it. It’s also telling when you are given the belt only because you make the guy(Roman) who’s going to win it back from you look better, because you shouldn’t be in a top spot, and then the fans will be happy when the guy that they don’t want as champ wins it because you are so terrible at being the champ.