DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wouldn’t say 50, but that isn’t that far off from the truth. Hell Hunter’s last good/great singles match was the one he had with Goldust during the Authority Vs. Rhodes Dynasty feud.

Yeah, I opened up a can of worms with that one.  I don't even like HHH as a wrestler, but two of my favorite matches of all time are HHH-Jack Rumble 00 and HHH-Jericho Fully Loaded 00.  And when you list the greatest RAW matches of all time, you're lying or were too young if Austin/HHH vs Benoit/Jericho isn't near the top.  And I'm not even counting his WM Undertaker matches (which are not on my all time list.)  Point being was that Dustin probably did have much better matches than HHH in the long run.  And you could have left it at that.  But the Dustin love had to escalate to "Dustin had 50 matches better than HHH/Cactus Jack or whatever HHH match you think is his best." 

Dustin is a legit to top ten all-time guy for me, but I like Trips quite a bit, at least at times.

00 Triple H was an absolute master of WWF Main Event Style, but tying that back into what @Matt D was saying, WWF Main Event Style is not, generally speaking, held in high regard amongst... What do we even call it these days? Internet Wrestling Community is so past the point of being relevant now. Anyway, hardcore fans that watch stuff from around the world and historical footage and what not.

So Hunter was great at a style not as well regarded as, say, King's Road or Strong Style or the NWA Heritage Style, or modern NJPW or PWG or what have you. So what does that mean? Does it mean he was great, because he was great at that style? Does it mean he was just good, because he was great at a "bad" style? Or does it mean he sucked? (And, yes, I'm ignoring that some people don't think he was great at WWF Main Event Style both for the sake of the argument and because I feel like it)

Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck from Spring Stampede 94 is my favorite WCW match. Triple H vs Undertaker from Mania 27 is my favorite WrestleMania match ever. I think if you stacked up Triple H's 50 best against Dustin's, Dustin wins pretty easily. But I never bought the 50 matches better than argument even then.

Masters was a ton of fun on C shows and Ring Ka King. He was good as Drake's second in Impact, and it's a shame he left before they did the inevitable break up.

Mark Henry circa 2006-2010 was damn sure better than HBK in that same time frame, to the point where I honestly don't understand the other viewpoint.

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Can you believe that Liger wrestled Tyler Breeze in a WWE-affiliated ring in 2015? That was probably the harbinger that shit was about to get weird in our reality, honestly. Liger wrestled Tyler Breeze in NXT, and the Cubs won the World Series next year. There obviously was a glitch in the fucking matrix.

It's strange. I watched(and enjoyed)this match but it still doesn't seem like it's a thing that really happened. Even reading that sentence doesn't really compute.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I remember lots of HHH review threads, but I don't remember that one specifically. 

Welp, now's the time to hit the search engine on this site!

There used to be the Dustin of the Day forum, but I think that disappeared during one of the times the board went kerblooey. I think it was run by Rippa. From what I remember, it was started specifically because of that particular argument.

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Can you believe that Liger wrestled Tyler Breeze in a WWE-affiliated ring in 2015? That was probably the harbinger that shit was about to get weird in our reality, honestly. Liger wrestled Tyler Breeze in NXT, and the Cubs won the World Series next year. There obviously was a glitch in the fucking matrix.

Which, on a side note, reminded me of Liger in PWG, specifically the 10 man match at BOLA 2016

6 of the 10 men are currently in WWE (Ciampa, Black, Alexander, Riddle, Kendrick, Dunne)

2 more had appeared in WWE within the last year or so before this match (Liger, Callihan)

The odd men out are Cobb and Taylor.

There's a big difference between WWF 2000 main event style and WWF 2019 main event style.  Triple H's matches in 2000 had more of a story and psychology to them than what has been happening the last couple years with performers like Cena and Rollins where it's mostly get your shit in and then get to the finish.  There's not a lot of beginning, middle and end. Finisher trading has been upped by 1000% too. 

That's why I hold Hunter's 2000 in high regard he was doing a lot of different types of matches with a variety of performers within the main event structure. I never agreed that Hunter's year was overrated.  I felt it was properly rated and then became underrated.  

• Like 3

On 2/7/2019 at 4:11 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

4 future champs in WWE?  Am I right? 

That list makes me want to fire up EWR again. Also, I remember Inferno Kid appearing on an early-00s reality dating show called Shipmates. They'd pair two singles up who were on a cruise for a blind date. He was a guy I'd always known from the Apter mags so that was the first time I'd actually ever seen him on tv. IIRC, he was a total douche and kept referring to himself by his wrestling name to the girl he was paired with.

Also, I love there was a tag-team called "Death and Destruction" and the name of the guys were Frank and Roger. That's like if The Road Warriors were referred to as Joe and Mike or Demolition was billed as Bill and Barry. "Here comes Bill! Here comes Barry!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Ax and Smasher.

• Haha 1

I think it seems like people on this board give "extra credit" to people who have shown great improvement over their careers. I think the best pure WWE examples of this would be Mark Henry, Nikki Bella, Chris Masters and to a slightly lesser degree the Miz. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Also, I love there was a tag-team called "Death and Destruction" and the name of the guys were Frank and Roger. That's like if The Road Warriors were referred to as Joe and Mike or Demolition was billed as Bill and Barry. "Here comes Bill! Here comes Barry!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Ax and Smasher.

I'll try to help.

"Dead Pig Fucker" Frank Parker & Roger "Anarchists Cookbook" Anderson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

We watched one of their matches not that long ago.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/09/new-footage-fridays-wahoo-valentine.html

That's a very odd wording. If it was "Following her suspension in the wake of her controversial actions..." that would make sense. The way that's written, it sounds like she's being rewarded for being controversial.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

That's a very odd wording. If it was "Following her suspension in the wake of her controversial actions..." that would make sense. The way that's written, it sounds like she's being rewarded for being controversial.

I guess WWE promo writers and PR people speak the same language. 

• Like 2

I know that Goldust and Shawn had a pretty lengthy house show run in ‘96. Any of those matches good/make tape? Weird they never ran that as a IYH main.

I think I prefer Dustin’s WCW work to anything he did in WWE except maybe the tag stuff with Booker and Cody.

23 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I know that Goldust and Shawn had a pretty lengthy house show run in ‘96. Any of those matches good/make tape? Weird they never ran that as a IYH main.

I think I prefer Dustin’s WCW work to anything he did in WWE except maybe the tag stuff with Booker and Cody.

There are a few. This is the one you want:

It's not a massive spot-filled affair but they use the ladder as a prop to help build the match. I want to say this is fun too, but I don't entirely remember:

• Like 1