DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am assuming this is also discounting Elimination Chambers (since HIAC's don't count)

I would say so, yeah. I'll also take the opportunity to say that old school WWF's blue bars* escape to win style cage matches completely miss the point. The point of a cage match is "you cannot get away from me this time, coward". Escape to victory (not the film) just implies you can win a fight by being better at running away. And that only works if your last name's Mayweather.

* Apparently it was a lot more painful being slammed into that than the traditional wire cage. But it looked more like a play pen than an arena of deadly combat. Speaking of which, if having your forehead raked across the cage wall leaves you bust wide open, why don't UFC fighters bleed from the shoulderblades in every standing grapple war? Maybe the new bloodless cage matches are just being realistic.

Funnily enough you bringing up the blue bars makes me remember Bossman vs. Hogan

The problem there is it wasn't as high stakes as most of the other matches mentioned and they pretty much did the same match over and over at the various house shows (since you can easily find the MSG and Boston Gardens versions online)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

I would say so, yeah. I'll also take the opportunity to say that old school WWF's blue bars* escape to win style cage matches completely miss the point. The point of a cage match is "you cannot get away from me this time, coward".

That's how they always did it though dating back to the 60s and 70s with Bruno.  He'd beat the shit out of guy and then walk out the door. P.S. I love the Bossman vs. Hogan cage match at SNME because outside of the match itself I believe Zeus beat the shit out of Hogan before the match even started.  It's one of my earliest wrestling memories. I was legit terrified of Zeus. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Let me predictably offer

This is the greatest cage match of all-time imo. I'd take this over Magnum/Tully.

Unbelievable match.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Earlier today, @Marty Sugar

had a go at me because I was making a joke about how WWE developmental actually impairs the wrestlers it's supposed to be improving (nb: it doesn't really. I think it's more the schedule grinding on people, having to adhere to a TV match format all of the time, and the curious way they all get so disheartened and unenthusiastic on the main roster after a while). But anyway, Curt is suggesting that two of the best wrestlers of the last decade, at their athletic peak, with plenty of experience working together, would be physically incapable of having a great match together because their pay cheques were signed by Dixie Carter. Snarkier than owt I said, that.

Nice try, bud.

• Haha 1

The Honky Tonk Man to the WWE HoF!!!!!! I saw it on FB and upon reading up on it it’s not that big of a surprise since he apparently inducted KoKo. He obviously made nice with everybody then.

He might have been the first grumpy old wrestler to go crazy on the internet, and he was just that overshadowed only by mid90s Ultimate Warrior and drugged up Raven. Tom Zenk might have came earlier Idk. Is he surrendering his gimmick to them? That was his biggest gripe (of many many gripes lol) over the years. 

I was not a fan but I support what appears to be WWE’s policy of inducting 1 guy a year who is thought to have never had a chance. With him out of the way we can get to the others!

• Like 2

As for Cage Matches, I would just like to mention that there are a ton of less than 5 star matches that never get old to me. Lawler/Savage from Memphis, all of those SMW cage matches, most Wargames matches, and I’ve only seen it clipped by that first FMW Wargames match looks crazy good. 

Would you believe that other than SuperBrawl II, that bullshit (Chamber Of Horrors) is the only WCW pay-per-view I ever ordered or watched live on pay-per-view? Well, to be more accurate, my dad and some burnout truck driver neighbor went in half on buying it. By the time I started chipping in on pay-per-views with friends, WCW was already giving away Hogan/Goldberg for free on Nitro. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Funnily enough you bringing up the blue bars makes me remember Bossman vs. Hogan

That was the first thing I thought of too. I recall liking it until the stupid ending where Hogan grabs Bossman's shirt through the cage and works him back up to the top. Like, all Bossman had to do is let go and fall to the floor and he's champ...