DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

In part of her efforts to promote Elimination Chamber despite not being on the card (save for appearing in the crowd for Ronda/Ruby), Charlotte Flair did a lot of local media in Houston yesterday, and the below interview's a very interesting one, with some thoughtful questions about topics like how to be a role model while being a heel and her perspective on an all-women's show. The reason I'm posting it here though is that she gives an answer about the importance of your character evolving that made me wonder about whether many NXT callups not getting where they'd like to be on the main roster is really because they were 'held back' or booked badly, or if just didn't keep pushing and developing:

"The ones that never stop learning, I think are over time, the ones that you see progress. You have to evolve, everything evolves, and if your character doesn't, if you don't, you fall off."

• Like 4

I wonder if WWE booking stadium shows for the Royal Rumble is a way for them to counteract New Japan's Wrestle Kingdom attendance growing the past few years. By booking it as a stadium show, it makes Royal Rumble more of an event in the vein of a Wrestlemania weekend. The type of fan that would go to a Royal Rumble weekend might have the same type of disposable income to travel to Wrestle Kingdom. 

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Eddie is the greatest of all time. Face, heel, flying, brawling, grappling, talking. Just fantastic at absolutely every element of being a pro wrestler. 

I fully agree, and want to add that he could kill it with comedy as well, and he spent time as both a great junior/cruiser and a heavyweight. If he'd lived a long life, I think it would be doubtless to many people that he was the best of all time. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

I wonder if WWE booking stadium shows for the Royal Rumble is a way for them to counteract New Japan's Wrestle Kingdom attendance growing the past few years.

Not even a sliver of a chance that this is even partially the reason.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cubbymark said:

I wonder if WWE booking stadium shows for the Royal Rumble is a way for them to counteract New Japan's Wrestle Kingdom attendance growing the past few years. By booking it as a stadium show, it makes Royal Rumble more of an event in the vein of a Wrestlemania weekend. The type of fan that would go to a Royal Rumble weekend might have the same type of disposable income to travel to Wrestle Kingdom. 

I would think it has more to do with them trying to turn the SS/RR/SS into destination trips like WM. Plenty of ticket availability for travelers and more people in town to attend all of the shoulder shows in town as well. It's more of just a business expansion model I think.

This has nothing to do with anything current but I love the fact that a band made a song out of Harley Race's "Take the Damn Money" promo.

He growls into the mic, he glares into the lens 
He’s been pushed to the breaking point, and here’s where it’ll end 
He’s got a briefcase full of cash for anyone who’ll act 
On an offer to carry out his unsanctioned attack 

Somebody take the damn 
Somebody take the damn 
Take the damn money 
Take the damn money 
It’s right here for you 
Any limb will do 
Take the damn money 
Take the damn money 

The names upon his list, the devil’s entourage 
Spat through the titleholder’s gravel-lipped barrage 
The former champions, the demons from the East 
He pleads for anyone to cut out his disease 

“You are the champion, you took the belt from me 
You’re the man, you can do it, come and get it please” 

Somebody take the damn 
Somebody take the damn 
Take the damn money 
Take the damn money 
It’s right here for you 
Any limb will do 
Take the damn money 
Take the damn money

• Like 6

The wife of Corey Graves claiming that Corey and Carmella were having an affair. I really don't think there's much good that can come from discussing it though, so I'mma Homer Simpson it into that shrub over there.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I fully agree, and want to add that he could kill it with comedy as well, and he spent time as both a great junior/cruiser and a heavyweight. If he'd lived a long life, I think it would be doubtless to many people that he was the best of all time. 

His ability to read the crowd and work based off their reaction. He and Benoit would be agents by now. Well I even wonder if Eddie didn't die alot of the good changes probably would not have happened. 

• Like 2