DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

That tweet is proof that wrestling Twitter can still be pretty awesome if Tanahashi is jumping in.  Now I really want to see an air guitar battle between him and Kyle.  I guess if you want to include Eric then sure but so far I'm not too fond of him.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That tweet is proof that wrestling Twitter can still be pretty awesome if Tanahashi is jumping in.  Now I really want to see an air guitar battle between him and Kyle.  I guess if you want to include Eric then sure but so far I'm not too fond of him.

Just stick him in the back playing air drums and let Tana & Kyle battle it out for lead guitar. 

• Like 3

I am not digging up the actual thread because I don't think folks care that much but per Pro Wrestling Sheet

The cast of Total Divas for the next season will be

• Ronda Rousey
  • Sonya Deville
  • Carmella
  • Natalya
  • Nia Jax
  • Naomi

The Bellas are only doing Total Bellas in an effort to try and save the ratings of that show. It also means that Paige and Lana won't be back this year

Meltzer made it sound like Sonya's girlfriend would be featured, but is she still with Seth's ex-girlfriend? That seems problematic unless they're hoping no one digs up her old social media shit again. 

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Meltzer made it sound like Sonya's girlfriend would be featured, but is she still with Seth's ex-girlfriend? That seems problematic unless they're hoping no one digs up her old social media shit again. 

Bi-sexual, female, neo-nazi = ratings GOLD

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not sure when it was taped, but during her appearance on UUDD, it sounded liked Sonya was back with the girlfriend she was with when she first came to WWE. I could have easily misheard.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man it's criminal how badly The Ascension was handled. They could really be one of those teams that benefits from either being sent back down or leaving for NJPW/AEW/Theoretical No 2 

When the Accension was started it was a faction right? They turned into a complete Road Warrior Cosplay as time went on I dont see New Japan or AEW wanting them, I'm not sure I see them teaming outside of WWE unless they as for their release together 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Someone told me they broke up, I took a quick scroll through her (and nazi girl's) instagrams and it looked like all pictures of them together were gone from both. Good for her, if so. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, Craig H said:

Out of all of those names though, Samoa Joe stands out the most. He should have had some kind of title run by this point. Hell, he should have won the WWE Title in the second match with AJ and probably dropped it back to AJ in the third match.

I was just thinking about how great Joe is at handling alot of the lame angles he's been in on the main roster. The way he delivers his verbiage and promo makes every angle he's in turn out better than is show like alot that feud with AJ reading the bedtime story or even the battle rap style promo a few weeks ago. Almost everyone else sounds robotic, who would've thought Joe , Punk and Bryan would be some the best talkers of modern WWE.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I was just thinking about how great Joe is at handling alot of the lame angles he's been in on the main roster. The way he delivers his verbiage and promo makes every angle he's in turn out better than is show like alot that feud with AJ reading the bedtime story or even the battle rap style promo a few weeks ago. Almost everyone else sounds robotic, who would've thought Joe , Punk and Bryan would be some the best talkers of modern WWE.

I’m pretty sure Punk was known as a great talker before he was in the WWE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I've said it before, but Joe is just straight up one of the most believable guys on the roster. Even though he loses 9 times out of 10, anytime his music hits I immediately think he's going to fuck someone up. And when he talks, he just comes off like a dude who will straight up murder you if you look at him the wrong way. During the build up to the Lesnar match, when he backed Heyman into the corner and was very calmly threatening Paul's life off mic, that scared the shit out of me. Of course, it would be nice if he won a match that meant something every now and then but we can't have it all. ?

• Like 6

I wonder how WWE has managed to avoid a romance angle between Sarah Logan and Sonya Deville so far?

Eta: N/m, it's not Logan that I thought had also stated that she was gay.  But it wasn't just Sonya that was open, was it?  Wasn't someone else openly gay in the women's division?

Ugh, main point being, I'm surprised that WWE hasn't tried to dip toes in this as an angle.

To follow up - Sonya was interviewed yesterday about joining the cast and confirmed her girlfriend will be on the show but the girlfriend is not Zahra

Also tying into that - someone recapped Rusev and Lana's appearance on Lillian Garcia's podcast and Lana talked about (at least her version) of why she is not back

Spoiler

Rusev and Lana were on Lilian Garcia’s podcast and expressed their frustration with things. One of the things mentioned was how Rusev kept trying to have them change plans on the breakup with Aiden English, a decision that killed English and hurt Rusev and was no benefit to anyone. Like with the original Rusev/Lana breakup, it was so obvious the sum of the parts together were more valuable than the individuals apart, but this happens all the time in WWE and I’m mystified how they did it particularly with the Rusev/Lana and Alberto/Ricardo splits that hurt both sides and didn’t learn.

Rusev talked losing the U.S. title back to Nakamura in the pre-show at the Rumble.

" It was the first championship I ever won. It hurts me because nobody cares about it,"said Rusev. "It feels like I'm the only one that cares about the title. I wanted to make it bigger. I wanted to make it what it was back when I wrestled John Cena for it. But it seems like every time somebody else has it, nothing happens. Now that I've lost it, the title is probably going to get lost again. And I'm going to get “lost probably too."

"I picture myself (at WrestleMania)...but again....we became so strong and we're featured but the more you hang around, the more you're forgotten. It doesn't matter how good you are. I think I'm good. It doesn't matter what I do. It kind of ends up the same thing."

"This is where I come in. I go....'hard work leads to profit.' I determine my own destiny," said Lana. "We're not going to be forgotten. We're going to fight for our careers. We're going to knock on Vince McMahon's door and fight for it. If you do not fight for your career, you will be lost. We're going to do everything possible. If it's not meant to be, we're going to look back and say, 'We did everything possible.' And if that was the way the journey was supposed to go, then that's the way it was supposed to go."

"He gets frustrated because he's lost over 50 pounds and works really hard on his body. And he goes, 'Maybe that will make me WWE Champion.' And he should be WWE Champion. I would be pissed if I was him."

Rusev noted he cut his hair and started doing CrossFit in order to get himself into better shape to show everyone how hard he’s working.

"I do all these things but nothing changes. I'm trying to catch Vince's eye. We pitch, we talk and it never comes to anything," he said.

The two were also taken off the TV show Total Divas after being on the last three seasons.

“It really sucks,” said Lana. “I go through a whole bunch of different emotions. Kevin Dunn is so great. We were first told we were basically a shoo-in, and that we were incredible this season. I was told that he loved me, that Bunim-Murray, which is the production company that produces the show, loved me, WWE loves me, WWE loves us, that we should be working on our spin-off show.”

“Kevin Dunn told me that E! Executives took a poll and that we are strongly disliked by the demographic, they do not like us and that I’m hated, we’re hated, and that the E! Executives thought that are stories were very slapstick, and they were a strong no.”

“I was shocked. I just sat there. It was like my tryout for WWE all over again. I’ve gone through a lot of different range of emotions. I’ll cry, but when I get hurt, I get really angry. That’s how I deal with hurt, I get really angry. Like, who is this new E! Executive?”

“It’s just that I’m not liked and one part of me is like – and I said that – Mark Carrano and Kevin Dunn was there and I said, ‘Maybe, I’m just not a likable person.’ I know I’m a good person, but maybe I have a boring personality because I’m just not liked.” Dunn and Carrano assured her this wasn’t the case and that much of what comes through the television is due to editing.

“There’s so many things in editing that I was royally screwed over. They take someone saying something from one thing and put it there. In edit they can do whatever they want and that’s out of your control. If they want to make me more annoying and I have to play that annoying girl, they’ll do that.”

“There were some things I got really mad about, but it is what it is. I understand that’s what I signed up for. I understand that when you sign up for reality TV, you have to be ready to be not perfect and I was okay with that.”

Spoiler due to size but her claim is that E! Executives took a poll and Lana was the most hated character on the show.

Its also worth the read for their version of frustration at Rusev not getting pushed and all the things he is trying to do to get noticed

11 minutes ago, nate said:

I wonder how WWE has managed to avoid a romance angle between Sarah Logan and Sonya Deville so far?

Aside from them on separate brands (for now) they already established that Sarah and Ray Rowe are married IRL  Heck, they even hyped up the Youtube video of the ceremony on an episode or two of Raw.  I'm not sure who else you're pair with Sonya but I'm honestly cool with the women not having romance angles.

EDIT:  And to go off of what Rippa posted it's hard not to feel for Rusev and Lana.  I didn't know how hard Lana had it in Russia and how that affects her still.  And Rusev seems like an amazingly likeable guy but the frustration came forth big-time.  They deserve better but given how things are now I'm not sure how likely it'll improve.  Hopefully if they stick around and Vince is more concerned with XFL then that might help their case.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CreativeControl said:

Rusev is just one big missed opportunity again and again. It fucking sucks reading that recap as it's not like he's one of those people showing up for a paycheque .

File under wrestlers deserving better in WWE.

• Like 3