DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I got really bored this morning since I am killing time before a meeting.

With Revival winning the Tag Titles last night - I was wondering what the list looked like of folks who were NXT champs who haven't won Gold in the WWE since their call up.

The list is

• Sami Zayn
  • Samoa Joe
  • Andrade
  • Ascension
  • Vaudevillains
  • Sanity
  • Ember Moon
  • Lucha Dragons (partial since Kalisto has won titles but not poor Sin Cara)

Two notes before folks ask.

This is just the NXT Championships (not any of the FCW versions). And I didn't include Kairi Sane who technically hasn't been called up despite being on like 3 PPVs.

I could swear that Sami had an IC or US title run, but maybe not. Out of all of those names though, Samoa Joe stands out the most. He should have had some kind of title run by this point. Hell, he should have won the WWE Title in the second match with AJ and probably dropped it back to AJ in the third match.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I could swear that Sami had an IC or US title run, but maybe not.

Nope - in fact Sami barely gets title shots

The last time he had a televised singles match on TV for a title - it was against Chris Jericho in Feb 2017

He got a few shots after turning heel and partnering with KO since they got a couple of tag shots and had that match against AJ at the Rumble

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man it's criminal how badly The Ascension was handled. They could really be one of those teams that benefits from either being sent back down or leaving for NJPW/AEW/Theoretical No 2 

Once those guys started showing their personalitis with their involvement in The Fashion Files, plus Southpaw, I was hoping they would get to be more humourous and embrace their kinda silly image as a throwback/homage to teams like LoD and Demolition. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I got really bored this morning since I am killing time before a meeting.

With Revival winning the Tag Titles last night - I was wondering what the list looked like of folks who were NXT champs who haven't won Gold in the WWE since their call up.

The list is

• Sami Zayn
  • Samoa Joe
  • Andrade
  • Ascension
  • Vaudevillains
  • Sanity
  • Ember Moon
  • Lucha Dragons (partial since Kalisto has won titles but not poor Sin Cara)

The only odd ones on this list for me are Sami and Joe.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man it's criminal how badly The Ascension was handled. They could really be one of those teams that benefits from either being sent back down or leaving for NJPW/AEW/Theoretical No 2 

The Ascension were terrible, and even after all this time have only been decent at best. The first time they showed any potential was the skits with Fashion Police, an that wasn't enough to justify a tag titles win. Could they have been handled better? Sure. Should they have really been given much over any other decent team? Not really. I think the Good Brothers are solid at best, and I've never had a desire to see them as tag champs. That said, they have a way better argument for deserving a good position than Ascension in and out of the ring.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

The Ascension were terrible, and even after all this time have only been decent at best. The first time they showed any potential was the skits with Fashion Police, an that wasn't enough to justify a tag titles win. Could they have been handled better? Sure. Should they have really been given much over any other decent team? Not really. I think the Good Brothers are solid at best, and I've never had a desire to see them as tag champs. That said, they have a way better argument for deserving a good position than Ascension in and out of the ring.

Tastes are tastes so I can't fault you for calling them terrible. I based what I said on their popularity and year long tag title run in NXT, and that if used with their limitations in mind, they could have at least some value. The dropoff from NXT to the main roster was absolutely staggering to me. If I'm alone, I'm alone just my opinion. It would appear this is the plan for Sanity as well.

I like the good brothers - the issue with them, though, is that they keep getting fucked with by this will they/won't they bullet club stuff with both AJ and Balor since they came in. They don't really have their own deal outside of that but could probably easily be rehabilitated if they ever ended up putting them with either guy long-term.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Usos to AEW confirmed!

Hide contents

Samoa Joe to AEW confirmed!

Hide contents

I find it dangerous to make such strong assumptions based on who's friends with who. A lot more than that goes into the mental calculus of deciding where you want to work. 

But how are you going to get idiotic news updates like last week's "We have a picture of Mickie James hugging the Young Bucks- she's totally jumping to AEW, you guys!"

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Are we truly worried about the quality of a tag team in order to be champs?  Shane o Mac is one half of the tag champs.  I don’t think WWE is worried about in ring quality at this point.  

43 minutes ago, iowanole said:

Are we truly worried about the quality of a tag team in order to be champs?  Shane o Mac is one half of the tag champs.  I don’t think WWE is worried about in ring quality at this point.  

I'm one of those rare, weird people on net who actually likes Shane. Besides if we are being truthful Shane has been in way better matches than the Ascension.

• Like 3

Sure. They are what they are. I do think that there is merit to the idea that WWE might not be getting the most that they can out of them, though. We talked about this a few days ago, but the WWE really did a much better job at positioning its talent to get every drop of usefulness out of them in 1999 from a character standpoint than they did in, say, 2015. 

That was the part of what I liked about mid -10s NXT. They really did get everything that they could out of each person on that roster. It was in stark contrast to the main roster, where guys like the New Day were being utterly wasted and had to take the wheel themselves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I'm one of those rare, weird people on net who actually likes Shane. Besides if we are being truthful Shane has been in way better matches than the Ascension.

Huh, then you would think my 9 year old is a good wrestler as well, because i’m 95% sure he throws the same amazing punches and sells just as well.  

• Haha 2

30 years ago at 1:30AM local time after the wrestling show, Ric Flair was either closing the bar or buying enough drinks to keep the bar open past hours.

In 2019, Charlotte Flair is up at 1:30AM local time wasting time on Twitter throwing lazy barbs at online dirtsheet writers.

That right there may be the best evidence yet that wrestling was better 30 years ago.

P.S. I am ten years older than Charlotte and even I am shaking my head going, "Really, a fucking Carnac reference?"

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

30 years ago at 1:30AM local time after the wrestling show, Ric Flair was either closing the bar or buying enough drinks to keep the bar open past hours.

In 2019, Charlotte Flair is up at 1:30AM local time wasting time on Twitter throwing lazy barbs at online dirtsheet writers.

That right there may be the best evidence yet that wrestling was better 30 years ago.

P.S. I am ten years older than Charlotte and even I am shaking my head going, "Really, a fucking Carnac reference?"

Thirty years from now, Charlotte Flair probably won't have a heart that's running on fumes from cheap beer and shots of whiskey like Ric Flair is because she wasn't in the bar and instead was on Twitter.

So yeah, I feel like this is a win for her, no matter how shitty the Tweet in question is. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Sure. They are what they are. I do think that there is merit to the idea that WWE might not be getting the most that they can out of them, though. We talked about this a few days ago, but the WWE really did a much better job at positioning its talent to get every drop of usefulness out of them in 1999 from a character standpoint than they did in, say, 2015. 

That was the part of what I liked about mid -10s NXT. They really did get everything that they could out of each person on that roster. It was in stark contrast to the main roster, where guys like the New Day were being utterly wasted and had to take the wheel themselves. 

That's still weird, though- because it seems like WWE is getting the most out of the Ascension, because The Ascension was a falling stock even in 2014 NXT.

You had the promos from 2011 FCW which made the Ascension look like this incredibly cool stable, and slowly but surely they chipped away most of the stars until you were left with Konnor and Bram...then Bram was insane and got fired from NXT, and they replaced him with Viktor (a weakness, because the guy just doesn't have the build for "badass power wrestler")....and then it was a slight uptick by virtue of being the only tag team in NXT for a year or so...and then suddenly NXT was getting actual tag teams and the Ascension got exposed, until finally they were what they were.

Now, I can't even say the Ascension are worthy of a big push, because they're not even the best "badass power tag team" that needs better treatment with AOP in place. If it's just about giving them an opportunity to be more, The Ascension are in the case where it might be kindest to just cut the guys, let their NXT cred get them indy bookings, and see if they can prove people wrong on the indie scene.

• Like 1