DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

On Sheamus, I think the main issue with him is that even though he's not a performance centre guy (came up on UK & Irish indies) there's something very McMahon-y about him. Like he's the kind of guy who Vince looks at and thinks "Now that's the type of Wrestler I like". And a lot of people have this real instinctive dislike of Vince's house style, and much prefer the forces of anti-McMahonism.

Wasnt he also "tainted" by being Hunter's workout buddy? 

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet - the WWE is negotiating with Batista for a match at WrestleMania

Here is the new world we are in though - supposedly Batista has an offer from AEW that he hasn't turned down yet

I mean the story is very clickbaity as it really does appear as Batista is just using the threat of AEW to up his leverage but hey, stranger things have happened

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

On Sheamus, I think the main issue with him is that even though he's not a performance centre guy (came up on UK & Irish indies) there's something very McMahon-y about him. Like he's the kind of guy who Vince looks at and thinks "Now that's the type of Wrestler I like". And a lot of people have this real instinctive dislike of Vince's house style, and much prefer the forces of anti-McMahonism.

Sheamus is kind of the proto-Roman. He’s a perfectly good wrestler heavily pushed a little too soon, who has much more natural charisma than is shown by his creative.

• Like 1

So many things about Sheamus...

• He was in that generation between Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge and the Shield. That generation of guys who got pushed as supporting players in the Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge drama of the day but never got the mandate to stay there full time. Sheamus, Barrett, Ziggler, McIntyre, Morrison, Rhodes, Miz, Del Rio, etc. There were lots of pushes in there, but none of them ever became perennial headliners and eventually drifted into the role of midcard afterthought. 
  • The next generation, the NXT generation, was based on the blueprint of guys like Punk and Bryan who had their indy cred as a strong foundation to build on. Sheamus and his people didn't have much of that cred and looked like old news when the NXT generation started coming up.
  • Came in with a big push and the workout buddy talk and was of a certain size and wrestled a style that didn't immediately endear him to a lot of fans.
  • Some people held WrestleMania 28 against him during his main event run.
  • For much of his main event runs, he was tethered to Del Rio and Orton. The matches were mostly good, but those are some dull feuds.

I love his work. He's very underappreciated. But there's a lot there to explain why fans wrote him off for a while. 

• Like 8

Interesting observations, and I tend to agree mostly... 

Sheamus, for the type of wrestler he is ticks off most of the boxes. He's perfectly serviceable in the ring, he gets his points across in promos, he has a good look (hoss), can wrestle effectively as a single or as a tagteam worker. In short, everything seems pretty good, yet I find him dull as ditchwater no matter what he's involved in. I'm Irish, so I should be predisposed to like the guy, but he just bores me to tears.

6 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Nah. Tagging Deadspin and petitioning to get Bix fired because he doesn't like his work is a bitch move.

In a perfect world, Graves and Bix would co-host a podcast that no one ever listened to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Batista has an offer from AEW?

That's an interesting one...

Here's the exact quote

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Dave Bautista is in talks with WWE for a match at WrestleMania 35, but it’s not set in stone yet … and another company is expressing interest. 

According to multiple sources, the “Guardians of the Galaxy” star is deep in talks with WWE about a return on “The Grandest Stage of Them All.”

However, we’re told he’s 50/50 on returning at this point based on how talks have gone. 

In addition to this, we’re told there’s been interest expressed to Dave from All Elite Wrestling and he isn’t turning them away. Our sources say he’s listening to what both companies have to offer.

It is quite the SO YOU ARE TELLING ME THERE IS A CHANCE~! phrasing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

A billionaire is throwing money around like candy at a parade. He'd be crazy to not at least listen.

I know they've said they don't view WWE as the enemy, but part of me wonders if there's a little bit of Theo Epstein vs Brian Cashman going on here where Tony, Cody, and whoever know that it's probably a long shot to sign someone like Batista or even the Usos when their contracts are up, but wouldn't it be funny if they caused WWE to way, way overspend on guys just by getting involved in contract negotiations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple quick things:

-I feel bad for Graves going through a divorce yet like others have said somebody needs to get him off Twitter immediately.  No good can come out of that.

-I like Sheamus much more in a tag role than singles.  The soccer fan vibe he gives off with Cesaro is top-notch and they work quite well with some awesome teams.  Along with the other issues people had with him though he's also delivered some nasty shots that upset some people.  One that comes to mind is the kick to Jeff Hardy that knocked out his tooth.  I just remember he got a lot of grief over that.  But despite all that I like the fella.

-And Batista maybe doing AEW?  Holy shit if you think his fashion watch in WWE was legendary imagine how it would be in AEW.  That would be tremendous.

Just imagine, if WWE hadn't acceded to Daniel Bryan's request to come back and wrestle again, he'd be AEW's biggest superstar signing right now. Whereas instead, the first real big jump (assuming Big Dave doesn't go) is going to be AJ. Then KO and Sami, most likely. 

Based on who we know Omega, the Bucks, Cody and Daniels are friends with. Except I didn't say Xavier Woods because they're never letting him go, or Adam Cole because he's dead.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet - the WWE is negotiating with Batista for a match at WrestleMania

Here is the new world we are in though - supposedly Batista has an offer from AEW that he hasn't turned down yet

I mean the story is very clickbaity as it really does appear as Batista is just using the threat of AEW to up his leverage but hey, stranger things have happened

I would guess he is using AEW to leverage for that match with HHH he has wanted for a long time now.

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Based on who we know Omega, the Bucks, Cody and Daniels are friends with. 

Usos to AEW confirmed!

Spoiler

e24fd5839474b90dd2b4c6c353507b15.jpg 

Samoa Joe to AEW confirmed!

Spoiler

eb74073ee72ecf1be57dba7b26ba9d0e.jpg

I find it dangerous to make such strong assumptions based on who's friends with who. A lot more than that goes into the mental calculus of deciding where you want to work. 

• Like 2