DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

You do realise the FBI monitor the internet, right? Because fed could easily mean federal agent, rather than wrestling federation. And it could be seen as you're panhandling for funds to bribe a law enforcement officer there.

Also, airfare to Japan, hotel, tickets to a show and however you organise a sponsored meal with a wrestler can't come to much than ten thousand at most, right? You could be having dinner with Hana next week if you set your mind to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

What's the over/under on how many indy workers were named "Chris Michaels" and "Suicide Kid" back then?  Notice they had to specify the territory of the ranked versions.

As far as I know there were only two Suicide Kids

Mikey Henderson (which is the CA one on that listed) and the dude who worked IWA Mid-South one (who I have no idea who that was)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What's the over/under on how many indy workers were named "Chris Michaels" and "Suicide Kid" back then?  Notice they had to specify the territory of the ranked versions.

I'm almost certain that a Chris Michaels used to work the Hardy's Omega promotion way, way back in the day. So I would guess there's at least 7 others.

• Haha 1

Funnily - Cagematch claims there have only been two Chris Michaels

There is the one who worked WCW and Smokey Mountain who also went by Chris Comet

And the one from New York who was in UWF and ECW when it was Eastern Championship Wrestling (plus was a jobber on WWF TV under a different name)

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Funnily - Cagematch claims there have only been two Chris Michaels

There is the one who worked WCW and Smokey Mountain who also went by Chris Comet

And the one from New York who was in UWF and ECW when it was Eastern Championship Wrestling (plus was a jobber on WWF TV under a different name)

Chris Comet sounds like the really shitty bass player in a 1980s cover band.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That reminds me... It’s crazy to think when Baley used a top rope elbow briefly as a finish, she didn’t call it Baley’s Comet.

She does, but only every 77 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As far as I know there were only two Suicide Kids

Mikey Henderson (which is the CA one on that listed) and the dude who worked IWA Mid-South one (who I have no idea who that was)

I always operated under the assumption that IWA-MS Suicide Kid was Mikey as well.

3 minutes ago, Ace said:

I always operated under the assumption that IWA-MS Suicide Kid was Mikey as well.

Apparently the IWA-MS one was a dude named Jacob Boyer who was trained by Ian Rotten

15 hours ago, AxB said:

You do realise the FBI monitor the internet, right? Because fed could easily mean federal agent, rather than wrestling federation. And it could be seen as you're panhandling for funds to bribe a law enforcement officer there.

Also, airfare to Japan, hotel, tickets to a show and however you organise a sponsored meal with a wrestler can't come to much than ten thousand at most, right? You could be having dinner with Hana next week if you set your mind to it.

38.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm glad nobody suggested bringing him in for AEW.

Well Masters was getting good near the end of his WWE run, so if he still had that fire, then sure. It’s that I just remember someone here suggesting Masters was better than Owen Hart in any point in Owen’s career.

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well Masters was getting good near the end of his WWE run, so if he still had that fire, then sure. It’s that I just remember someone here suggesting Masters was better than Owen Hart in any point in Owen’s career.

SMH

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well Masters was getting good near the end of his WWE run, so if he still had that fire, then sure. It’s that I just remember someone here suggesting Masters was better at any point in Owen Hart’s career.

On a side note, looking back at Owen Hart, that dude was really fucking good, maybe actually underrated even in the light of how he's been lionized after his untimely death. I enjoyed his high-flying babyface stuff in WWF and NJPW, but he was an amazing firey babyface, a great comedy heel, and a great vicious heel. His range in terms of portraying a character on the mic and through his work was fantastic. He probably should have had a run with the big gold at some point. The perfect place in terms of my own interest in the matches and feuds, I think, would have been to lift the gold off of Michaels at IYH: DX and then hold it up until WM 14, dropping the gold to Austin and turning back heel in the process as he became more desperate to hold on to the champonship, targeting Austin's neck in sneak attacks, etc.

Of course, neither Michaels nor Austin would have wanted anything to do with any of that, but I would have been endlessly entertained by it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SMH

I don't know if anyone actually said that Masters was better than Owen, but for a short while there were a bunch of people who made it seem like Masters was some kind of elite level talent.

And that's kind of the charm of this place. You'll get people saying how amazing Chris Masters is while also saying that HBK wasn't that good or that Batista carried Benoit in that one match on Raw they had.

• Like 2

Regarding Owen, I remember as a kid watching him as the Blue Blazer and wondering how he did all of the flippy shit he was doing on Superstars.

If I would have seen Japanese wrestling or lucha at that same age my brain would have exploded.

• Like 3