DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

I followed the discussion of Bianca pretty closely since I was the one that took issue with the buildup/lack thereof with the last Takeover. I don't recall anyone on this board saying she shouldn't be getting a shot or didn't deserve it - just a couple of people agreeing with my sentiments that there wasn't much of a buildup. Maybe she's confusing people here with Sam Roberts?

Rippa rightly pointed out that the buildup was typical and consistent with other RR weekend Takeovers and if you look at the landscape, Bianca made the most sense for the title shot. It also didn't come without much buildup. She had been climbing the ladder for months, she earned her title shot at least a month ago I think, she vanquished Cross, and the next step was Shayna.

This was really just step one. NOW you're going to get more buildup going into the next Takeover. You're going to get each one of these women having more of a problem with each other and Bianca proving the artificial naysayers *COUGHSAMCOUGH* wrong.

BTW, Sam Roberts saying it wasn't scripted is so transparently a work. What is he going to do, pull the curtain back on an actual angle WWE let him take part in?

• Like 1

I don't know if this was mentioned or not (lord knows I can't keep track anymore) but the next Superstar Shakeup was announced

The next Superstar Shakeup seems to have a date.

A promo that aired in Canada during Raw last night showed Scott Stanford announcing an ‘International Superstar Shakeup’ that would take place on April 15 and 16 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. The significance of the world ‘international’ wasn’t explained.

The Superstar Shakeup replaced the WWE Draft last year as a way to move Raw wrestlers to SmackDown and vice versa. Whereas the WWE Draft had more formal rules regarding draft picks and trades, the Superstar Shakeup is more vague in the way Raw and SmackDown talent are traded. Last year’s notable jumps included The Miz, Baron Corbin and The Riott Squad to Raw while Asuka, Samoa Joe and Jeff Hardy went to SmackDown.

NXT stars are also included in the Shakeup: Sanity and Andrade went to SmackDown while Drew McIntyre went to Raw.

Since it is the week after Mania it makes sense

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I don't know if this was mentioned or not (lord knows I can't keep track anymore) but the next Superstar Shakeup was announced

Since it is the week after Mania it makes sense

Hope it doesn't fuck Smackdown Live up.

It would be nice if the shakeup meant that some lower/middle-card people went to NXT.  Past history indicates while it's seen as a demotion by some it does a pretty job in rebuilding those that don't have much going on on Raw/SD.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

I followed the discussion of Bianca pretty closely since I was the one that took issue with the buildup/lack thereof with the last Takeover. I don't recall anyone on this board saying she shouldn't be getting a shot or didn't deserve it - just a couple of people agreeing with my sentiments that there wasn't much of a buildup. Maybe she's confusing people here with Sam Roberts?

IMO, I didn't get anything confused. I looked back and found one of the posts I saw here to get the exact wording. They specifically said they didn't like her work (not a problem) and her match with Shayna gets her out of the way for other contenders (which I took as an indicator of they believing she wasn't good enough to be in her spot. You don't say that if you think someone should is good.).

I will say I didn't appreciate being scoffed at when I brought up Roberts being racist toward Bianca in his TakeOver rant. Work or not, that may have been one of the most boneheaded things I've heard in wrestling and supposedly, NXT is better than that if we listen to the diehards. Someone is to blame for that mess.

Misogynoir is very real and I feel that's what happened there. I explained why I saw it that way and was met with a 'no one cares' stance. So has that sentiment spilled over? I don't think so, but maybe it's in my subconscious.

Mentioning someone's name serves no purpose. One, it's tattle-tales. Two, the person will lash out and may possibly be aggressive. As a woman, that's not a comfortable feeling. Three, the times I've copied and pasted posts that I found worrisome for others who asked for them were met with indifference at best. If you're not going to consider what I'm presenting, why should I bother presenting anything?

When I mentioned what I think is inappropriate, it's something I saw here. I rarely bring up anything from other sites. I don't keep up with dates and times when everything is mentioned. But I'm not going make up something out of thin air, either. 

If someone disagrees with my POV, that's fine. But I am never going to be on the same page as most of you. That's not an indictment on anyone. Everyone has their own perspective. Everyone can express their opinion and offer their explanation for it. But no one should be expected to justify who they are or how they express themselves as wrestling fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It would be nice if the shakeup meant that some lower/middle-card people went to NXT.  Past history indicates while it's seen as a demotion by some it does a pretty job in rebuilding those that don't have much going on on Raw/SD.

I don't think that will ever happen. It's a good idea in theory, but I don't know how they can make it work. When taking into account big names still being signed to NXT, there's no place for RAW/SDL low-carders to go.

If the international portion of the shakeup is true, I can see Pete Dunne and Rhea Ripley moving over with Jack Gallagher going to NXT UK. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

IMO, I didn't get anything confused. I looked back and found one of the posts I saw here to get the exact wording. They specifically said they didn't like her work (not a problem) and her match with Shayna gets her out of the way for other contenders (which I took as an indicator of they believing she wasn't good enough to be in her spot. You don't say that if you think someone should is good.).

I will say I didn't appreciate being scoffed at when I brought up Roberts being racist toward Bianca in his TakeOver rant. Work or not, that may have been one of the most boneheaded things I've heard in wrestling and supposedly, NXT is better than that if we listen to the diehards. Someone is to blame for that mess.

Misogynoir is very real and I feel that's what happened there. I explained why I saw it that way and was met with a 'no one cares' stance. So has that sentiment spilled over? I don't think so, but maybe it's in my subconscious.

Mentioning someone's name serves no purpose. One, it's tattle-tales. Two, the person will lash out and may possibly be aggressive. As a woman, that's not a comfortable feeling. Three, the times I've copied and pasted posts that I found worrisome for others who asked for them were met with indifference at best. If you're not going to consider what I'm presenting, why should I bother presenting anything?

When I mentioned what I think is inappropriate, it's something I saw here. I rarely bring up anything from other sites. I don't keep up with dates and times when everything is mentioned. But I'm not going make up something out of thin air, either. 

If someone disagrees with my POV, that's fine. But I am never going to be on the same page as most of you. That's not an indictment on anyone. Everyone has their own perspective. Everyone can express their opinion and offer their explanation for it. But no one should be expected to justify who they are or how they express themselves as wrestling fans.

The problem is that it just looks like you're making shit up to prove your point without evidence. This is why "present evidence of your claims" is a thing. Not only that, but here is what you said:

On 2/4/2019 at 9:54 AM, Burgundy LaRue said:

I see where some say Bianca Belair is a waste of space.

19 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

And sorry to say, there are a lot of Bianca naysayers, beyond thinking she isn't ready or whatnot. A couple folks here were saying they'd be happy to see her push down the card in the event she lost to Shayna at Takeover because she isn't worth the time. I'll spare you the details of other stuff I've read because most of it wasn't here.

In each one of these comments you made it sound like it was many people saying this and when you just responded a few minutes ago, you say you found one person saying something about it. 

You also just said this:

When I mentioned what I think is inappropriate, it's something I saw here. I rarely bring up anything from other sites.

Except your post from yesterday says this:

I'll spare you the details of other stuff I've read because most of it wasn't here.

It's unfortunate if you think it's tattling to quote what someone said to back up your own claims. Even still, if it's ONE person or maybe two people, honestly, who cares? There's a shitload of us here and if we're just going by a couple nebulous comments from two random contributors, then that's not an overwhelming opinion. Not everyone is going to be on the same page about any wrestler, whether if that's Bianca, Becky, or hell, we've had debates on here about Akira Taue. The general consensus is that she's going to be great and is going to rightly win the title.

25 minutes ago, FakeWorker said:

What's the point of keeping Kairi and Io on NXT? 

Pure unbridled speculation on my part: not saying this is the case, but I could totally see Vince and co. being kind of weird on the idea of having more than one Asian woman on the main shows. Not out of any xenophobic malice necessarily, but just like how they couldn't have more than one Shane or Lance in 2002, so all of the sudden it became Gregory Helms and Garrison Cade. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is that the argument?  That there's a class of fan who like certain wrestlers for the wrong reasons?  Because tha's a ridiculous point of view.

The argument is not that there's a class of fan who like certain wrestlers for the wrong reasons. Whatever reason you like a fan is perfectly fine.

The issue is closer to a few other problems since then:

Fans refuse to admit there's still a mark inside them, and don't seem to get that "...I just mark out for this wrestler" is honestly a GOOD ENOUGH reason to like someone. You don't have to give some flowery reason or talk about their punches or their missile dropkick- "I just like them, and I'd like them to succeed" is perfectly fine. It's okay to be a mark.

Because fans won't admit that they're a mark inside them, instead of just showing some guts and saying "You know what? I don't care if it wouldn't be best for business. I don't care if anyone else in the whole world except for me would like it. I like this wrestler. I want to see them win the World Title." and cover it up with "well, can you see how [x] and [y] and [z] have happened? Clearly, this is PROOF that they're the right decision and NEED to be the World Champion."  (We saw it with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan in their time with non-mainstream things trumpeted as mainstream stuff...and considering how people riot when they're told Becky Lynch is over, but not a draw...guaranteed that you'll see some people say stuff like 'who cares if it came out a year before, the song's called 'The Man'- The Killers clearly wrote it about Becky Lynch! She's a mainstream draw!") 

Eventually, when that happens, the fan comes to this argument and tells themselves "I'm not just a mark- that's those LESSER fans. I'm a SMART fan, what I say is provable by actual empirical evidence!", which leads to "It's SO OBVIOUS that going THIS direction is the right way, and the ONLY right way, that any other way you could go is objectively wrong! If you don't go this way and put the World Title on this person, then you hate money, you hate the fans, and you hate me personally!" 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Pure unbridled speculation on my part: not saying this is the case, but I could totally see Vince and co. being kind of weird on the idea of having more than one Asian woman on the main shows. Not out of any xenophobic malice necessarily, but just like how they couldn't have more than one Shane or Lance in 2002, so all of the sudden it became Gregory Helms and Garrison Cade. 

I would hope because they're a tag team Vince will be able to tell them apart from Asuka, but...it's Vince.  "Damn it, pal, didn't there used to be only one of her?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, FakeWorker said:

What's the point of keeping Kairi and Io on NXT? 

They can call up Kairi.

Io I'll refrain from saying to keep NXT spoiler free.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Injury updates per Meltzer

Seth Rollins - Bad Back. Not WrestleMania threatening. Might not be on EC though. They are going to rest him. Original plan was McIntyre/Corbin vs. Strowman/Rollins so that might explain the angle with Angle suddenly.

AJ Styles - Has hernia. Still possible he will work SDL tonight but its why he hasn't been on house shows.

Sasha Banks - She is "banged up". It appears that she has "Partial clearance". Basically she can be around to shoot angles and they trust you to do angles. She just can't work matches. They clearly think she will be cleared by EC (but don't be surprised if they are last out of their pod).

Becky Lynch - WORK WORK WORK (just because there are still people believing that it is legit). For once they decided to be consistent and yank people off house shows when doing a worked injury but it did screw the SDL shows since no Becky or AJ

Having a ginormous roster contributes to under-exposure of much talent, but at least now the WWE has learned to give people time off and that it will not affect the quality of the shows (and incidentally make the worked injuries more believable).

- RAF 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So apparently Heavy Machinery is just Otis and Tucker as they both lost their last name.  Nothing says menacing like a guy just named Tucker.   isn't there a prelim guy on the NXT UK roster called Tucker?

I think the ring announcer on Raw last night said their last names when introducing them.