DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

10 hours ago, supremebve said:

If I heard someone say any of this stuff about Bianca Belair, I'd be relieved.  That would be one fewer person in the world who had an opinion I'd have to consider as valid.  I once had a woman tell me her favorite Stevie Wonder song was "I Just Called to say I Love You," and I realized I didn't have to waste time listening to anything else she ever said.  

Look, I ultimately believe in freedom of speech and thought in a broad sense, but holding this opinion should be a criminal offense. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If I heard someone say any of this stuff about Bianca Belair, I'd be relieved.  That would be one fewer person in the world who had an opinion I'd have to consider as valid.  I once had a woman tell me her favorite Stevie Wonder song was "I Just Called to say I Love You," and I realized I didn't have to waste time listening to anything else she ever said.  

She didn't know anyone in a Coma, did she?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

So he brought an item for which there is no possible use in the NW all the way across the country? Damn, I love rasslin logic once it's explained!

He was undefeated in Coal Miners Gloves Matches so NW or not if you are good at something why change it?

That's a great little vid. He seems frustrated and it's understandable he's moving on. He's starting to get up there in age, so it's a good time for him to move on and return to Noah or wherever it is he decides to end up going. Given wrestling is now dominated by smaller guys, I think it's a given he ends up winning the GHC heavyweight title if he indeed decides to return to Noah.

On her weekly vlog, Kris Wolf announced that she's retiring after her current tour is wrapped up due to concussion issues.

Really sad but if she's having the symptoms she talks about, it's a good thing she recognized them before it got out of hand (blackouts, etc).

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, FireThunder said:

On her weekly vlog, Kris Wolf announced that she's retiring after her current tour is wrapped up due to concussion issues.

Really sad but if she's having the symptoms she talks about, it's a good thing she recognized them before it got out of hand (blackouts, etc).

Pity to hear. Wolf was always so much fun. I'm glad she is doing it though before things got any worse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Austin said:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/315254932

I think this gives us a little insight as to why Itami left the WWE

That made me genuinely feel for KENTA, almost to the point of tears, but I've had just a fucking piece of shit day, so I'm more emotionally on edge than normal. Being happy with yourself and your situation is the most important thing in life. Without that, the rest of this doesn't mean much. It will be great to see him in Noah, New Japan, or whereever he chooses knowing he's happy.

• Like 9

I asked BLR earlier who or where it was said that Bianca is a waste and there was no response. Now it's people are saying she should be pushed down the card or whatever. I'm guessing these comments aren't from here and honestly, who knows where they're coming from.

More importantly, why does it matter what some knucklehead has to say about her being pushed down the card?

We all saw how good her performance was and while she's not the best female wrestler on NXT, she's certainly getting there and when she wins that title it's going to be a fucking awesome moment and a great story and she'll have the video package to build to it.

At the WM weekend Takeover, Bianca will walk out as champion.

• Like 1

There's no way that isn't happening. It's the super obvious booking decision and NXT doesn't generally do stuff just to avoid doing the obvious. Io's the only one that could possibly be an alternative but they have her teaming with Kairi right now, so that takes her out of the running.

7 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I just don't agree with this premise at all. There's no fan uprising demanding a Punishment Martinez main roster run, and we just had another post (correctly) lamenting the waste of Rusev. Braun Strowman, the definition of a performance center hoss, has been consistently and massively over with basically every segment of the audience, while Itami just turned back into KENTA because fan nostalgia for his NOAH/ROH matches didn't count for anything. There are too many exceptions for indie/PC to be a useful dichotomy.

Its more a way to force his the "fans will not be happy unless all of their favorites are pushed." narrative. Even though you can find things like AJ as champion that most people supported.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I asked BLR earlier who or where it was said that Bianca is a waste and there was no response. Now it's people are saying she should be pushed down the card or whatever. I'm guessing these comments aren't from here and honestly, who knows where they're coming from.

More importantly, why does it matter what some knucklehead has to say about her being pushed down the card?

They go to another school in Canada.

This one guy use to bug the piss out of me whining that everyone hates Daniel Bryan and wants him crippled. Would ask who said that and nothing. 

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Its more a way to force his the "fans will not be happy unless all of their favorites are pushed." narrative. Even though you can find things like AJ as champion that most people supported.

You mean, if "fans will not be happy unless all of their favorites are pushed", and one of their favorites is pushed, it makes them happy? You don't say!

40 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

All of vs one of

Granted, but even then it can tie into the real answer: They want all of their favorites (and un-favorites) USED properly.

It's the big problem with this "new era" of WWE: It's been enough time to know- they're not being nice, they just put on a nice sweater. They don't seem to GET the big difference.

WWE failed because the writing and booking is fundamentally broken and it seems to have no hope to change. Wrestling minds in charge, sitcom writers/soap opera writers, get the best showrunners in the world to come in...it won't matter. And right now, they're pushing smark darlings...which is a start. Only problem- if they don't fix  those fundamental problems, it's just the same show- but people you like benefit. 

8 hours ago, FireThunder said:

Glad I got to see her in Atlanta this past week. She was immensely entertaining.

This is what I think NJPW gets right.  Even if the guys I like job in the most frustrating ways possible (such as a couple night ago) , it makes sense.   Yeah, you can question certain things- but no promotion does everything you want- there are millions of other fans out there.  I haven't felt like my intelligence or my fandom was insulted.   I think it helps with NJPW has all the factions which appeal to different types of fans.

That rumble Roman won- that was the last straw for me years ago.   It's what made me decide to drop the network and cut the cord.  I felt like WWE was telling me flat-out we don't give a shit about what you want.  It really feels like there isn't that variety in WWE-land, except for the women.   Maybe things are different now, but I got willing to dive into other promotions, and eventually got my fix somewhere else.  I don't know if they could ever win me back at this point , especially if AEW provides a good alternative (ROH provides a decent one, and having Juice and Zack help a lot because I enjoy both of them a lot).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Granted, but even then it can tie into the real answer: They want all of their favorites (and un-favorites) USED properly.

It's the big problem with this "new era" of WWE: It's been enough time to know- they're not being nice, they just put on a nice sweater. They don't seem to GET the big difference.

People want their favorites to win, that is how wrestling has always worked. 

When AJ Styles was champion he beat Nakamura, Rusev and Samoa Joe and the fans were happy. Its only hard if you go against the grain. 

• Like 1

I don't understand what's wrong with liking a wrestler for whatever reason you like them, and wanting to see them succeed as opposed to being mired in fart and dick joke purgatory but that's just me.

Is that the argument?  That there's a class of fan who like certain wrestlers for the wrong reasons?  Because tha's a ridiculous point of view.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I followed the discussion of Bianca pretty closely since I was the one that took issue with the buildup/lack thereof with the last Takeover. I don't recall anyone on this board saying she shouldn't be getting a shot or didn't deserve it - just a couple of people agreeing with my sentiments that there wasn't much of a buildup. Maybe she's confusing people here with Sam Roberts?

Injury updates per Meltzer

Seth Rollins - Bad Back. Not WrestleMania threatening. Might not be on EC though. They are going to rest him. Original plan was McIntyre/Corbin vs. Strowman/Rollins so that might explain the angle with Angle suddenly.

AJ Styles - Has hernia. Still possible he will work SDL tonight but its why he hasn't been on house shows.

Sasha Banks - She is "banged up". It appears that she has "Partial clearance". Basically she can be around to shoot angles and they trust you to do angles. She just can't work matches. They clearly think she will be cleared by EC (but don't be surprised if they are last out of their pod).

Becky Lynch - WORK WORK WORK (just because there are still people believing that it is legit). For once they decided to be consistent and yank people off house shows when doing a worked injury but it did screw the SDL shows since no Becky or AJ