DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

15 hours ago, Victator said:

Anybody that has seen the match knows it is not a crazy statement. Flair and Garvin had very hard hitting action filled matches. 

Indeed. They were brutal.  I could hear JR now, oh the physicality! They were both welted up big time.. I can't imagine a big fan of NWA not loving that stuff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Speaking of bad names. From easy, and to say, Dijak, to one that is four syllables too long, Dijakovic. That’s one where I’m extremely okay with people going back to the indie name, as a nickname.

Wonder why he couldn’t go by his real name, Chris Dijak? Has “Dijak” been trademarked?

I was thinking of bringing up the awfulness of Dominik Dijackovic. Chris Dijak would have been fine.

Another bad one is Jaxson Ryker, but I guess it's not bad compared to being called Gunner.

Imagine if WWE signed Joanna Jędrzejczyk from the UFC... Would love to see them try and keep pronouncing her name throughout a match.

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Imagine if WWE signed Joanna Jędrzejczyk from the UFC... Would love to see them try and keep pronouncing her name throughout a match.

Don't most of the UFC commentators just call her Joanna Champion? Regardless, the WWE commentary crew would just refer to her as Joanna.

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Don't most of the UFC commentators just call her Joanna Champion? Regardless, the WWE commentary crew would just refer to her as Joanna.

No. She lost the title and Joanna Champion was what fans called her.

The commentators just called her "Joanna Youngjaycheck" which I'm sure is a butchered pronunciation of her name.

33 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

There's a 50/50 chance he'll just be "Dominik" when he gets to the main roster anyways.

Just like Otis is gonna be just "Dozer" eventually, but that's a good thing. I can't decide if it's going to be "Dominick" or a respelling of his last name."Dijack" isn't that bad outside of it rhymes with Ryback. And that can be a thing.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:27 AM, SorceressKnight said:

. Even for lower names it's there- Rowan as Daniel Bryan's sidekick works not just because Rowan's big and fits the role of Biodiesel, but also the hardcore storyline of "Daniel Bryan is holding Luke Harper back! Harper was on the indies too! Bryan should have picked HIM to be a star and gotten another indies guy over! Bryan sold out!".

]

Is this seriously a thing people are saying? If so, that is outrageous. We have no idea where the storyline is going. Harper could totally be added to the group. I'd love it if he were. 

• Like 1

Also, I don't usually have a problem with people on this board using well-known indie names as shorthand because, at least on here, it doesn't come off as elitist. I still called Bryan "Dragon" sometimes. It's a habit. Now, on the other hand, people at shows who use indie names are almost always super smug smarks and it usually is annoying as hell. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Now, on the other hand, people at shows who use indie names are almost always super smug smarks and it usually is annoying as hell. 

Those are the worse.

I see them all the time at Full Sail.

7 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I don't think it's intentional, it's just how it appears. Because some fans do call CM Punk "Phil" just to be smart and it's annoying. And I'm no better since I'll probably call PAC "Neville" for a year at least.

Well, in defense there, he is trying to be an old-fashioned heel and was a very good heel in WWE, so I'm sure he'd love to keep being able to draw ex-PAC Heat in AEW.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2