DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Anybody that has seen the match knows it is not a crazy statement. Flair and Garvin had very hard hitting action filled matches. 

I’ve seen it, I liked watching Garvin run roughshod back in the day, but there is nowhere near the level of finesse and emotion and crispness as the Steamboat matches 

So, I realize full good and well that I'm one of maybe three people that cares about the answer to this question, but do we know what happened to Bray Wyatt? He showed up at house shows, put stuff out on Twitter machine about being a new man, and then apparently entered the phantom zone? Powers that be just stop pretending to even give a shit about him?

Dickinson posted this on Instagram "Machine" (seriously, wrestling fans need to stop posting as if they are Jim Cornette or Conrad Thompson ?):

Someone needs to make this happen.

1 hour ago, Phil4126 said:

So, I realize full good and well that I'm one of maybe three people that cares about the answer to this question, but do we know what happened to Bray Wyatt? He showed up at house shows, put stuff out on Twitter machine about being a new man, and then apparently entered the phantom zone? Powers that be just stop pretending to even give a shit about him?

Supposedly in the "creative has nothing for you" limbo since last summer when he dropped the tag titles, with some people saying he took the opportunity to heal up from some nagging injuries. Ideally being held off for something big (It doesn't look like they have a better opponent for Bryan at Mania), but most likely will show up next in the Andre battle royal and then spend the rest of the year jobbing to everyone until the next aborted family reunion.

You know what would be a good use of Wyatt? Aleister Black(BTW, one of the best name changes) is coming up soon. Maybe have Bray come back as a man who went on a personal pilgrimage. On this pilgrimage he found a priest in a black church. The man taught him of a new gospel that has opened his eyes, and made him see what truly is behind those fireflies. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I still see enough "Claudio" and "Sombra" to set my teeth on edge. 

When your given name is Claudio Castagnoli, anything else isn't going to be as good.

Claudio Castagnoli > Cesaro

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Kassius Ohno is an awful name. I know it's paying homage to Muhammad Ali, but that doesn't make the name any less cringeworthy. I stick with Chris Hero.

Complaining about fans choosing to refer to a wrestler by their pre-WWE name is more petty than the supposedly petty act in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know what would be a good use of Wyatt? Aleister Black(BTW, one of the best name changes) is coming up soon. Maybe have Bray come back as a man who went on a personal pilgrimage. On this pilgrimage he found a priest in a black church. The man taught him of a new gospel that has opened his eyes, and made him see what truly is behind those fireflies. 

No. Please keep Aleister Black away from Bray. Thank you. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know it's paying homage to Muhammad Ali, but that doesn't make the name any less cringeworthy.

If it's supposed to be a homage to Muhammed Ali, it's a shit one. It's a grave insult to Muhammed Ali, using his slave name like that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When your given name is Claudio Castagnoli, anything else isn't going to be as good.

Claudio Castagnoli > Cesaro

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Kassius Ohno is an awful name. I know it's paying homage to Muhammad Ali, but that doesn't make the name any less cringeworthy. I stick with Chris Hero.

Complaining about fans choosing to refer to a wrestler by their pre-WWE name is more petty than the supposedly petty act in the first place.

You're using it because it's his given name rather than just a ring name he hasn't used in eight years?

That somehow makes it worse... :( 

I’ve been a fan of the guy for a long time, but Kassius Ohno always struck me as the flavor of stupid he’d come up with himself, rather than WWE would suggest. The company has a spotty history, but I just don’t see “what if you had a Japanese surname to go with your Misawa tribute elbows?” being asked. 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You're using it because it's his given name rather than just a ring name he hasn't used in eight years?

That somehow makes it worse... :( 

No, I use it because I'm used to it since following him since about 2004, and because it's infinitely better than Cesaro. Who are you to judge me? I don't need to justify myself to anyone here.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I’ve been a fan of the guy for a long time, but Kassius Ohno always struck me as the flavor of stupid he’d come up with himself, rather than WWE would suggest. The company has a spotty history, but I just don’t see “what if you had a Japanese surname to go with your Misawa tribute elbows?” being asked. 

I think he freely admitted to coming up with it. That doesn't matter to me so much as the combination of what AxB said, the goofy initials, and it just sounding fucking outright terrible. 

Cesaro is okay with me because every time I hear it, I hear it in Steve Austin's voice. 

• Like 1

With Kassius Ohno, it seems to be weird (EDIT: Oyaji just said it.)

On the one hand, it's clear that the logic was simple: His gimmick was "the Young Knockout Kid", so they needed his initials to be "KO"...but on the other hand, they did the same thing for Kevin Owens, and that's a decent enough name. 

Either way, it neglects the whole important part with Kassius Ohno that also needs to be mentioned: ...uh, you're waxing poetic about "CHRIS HERO". That is one of the most "this guy is going to be on the shindies for life" names for a guy who somehow managed to make it nationally, let alone to a major promotion. Even a name like Kassius Ohno at least feels more like a 'national WWE guy' than Chris Hero would.

• Like 2

My first exposure to Chris Hero was a Juggalo Championshit Wrestling VHS my freshman year roommate showed me, in which he is called: The Bicurious Hero, Chris Hoagie, Chris Homo, and—most enthusiastically—Piss Taco. So I guess what I’m saying is Chris Hero struck me as less awful than it might have, given the context. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't get a "national WWE guy" feel from Kassius Ohno either.

Even if "Kassius Ohno" is still a stupid name- that feels like "Okay. That's a stupid name, probably came from NXT's Name Generator...but eh. Stupid name, whatever."

Chris Hero, on the other hand...it is a miracle that this guy ever rose to a level where he is not wrestling in his local VFW hall, with a roster of people coming to the ring to all your favorite 2000s nu-metal tracks (well, except for the white guy who comes to the ring to "Ruff Ryder's Anthem"...gotta have him...), alongside all your favorite heroes like "Upper Class Guy who Owns a Sweatervest", "Ambiguously Gay Guy In a Feather Boa", "A guy named Storm", "A guy named Steele", "Guy Who Badly wants to be Heath Ledger's Joker", "Girl who Badly wants to be Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn who has three restraining orders against the guy who wants to be Ledger's Joker", and World Champion "The 50-year-old promoter who's biggest high spot is a punch to the face and yet has beaten every big name guy who comes into the arena".

Even noting that Ohno is a very talented wrestler, that should have only gotten him in a 19 year blood feud with the Cruiserweight Champion, "Guy Who Looks Like Jeff Hardy, in that he has Long Hair and wrestles in Hot Topic clothes."

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, I use it because I'm used to it since following him since about 2004, and because it's infinitely better than Cesaro. Who are you to judge me? I don't need to justify myself to anyone here.

You’re of course free to do as you please. If you’re keen to be free from judgement, I have nothing to offer you. Everyone’s always judging everyone. 

It might be different for you, but I normally read people using old names as a way to project their superiority as a fan. It’s always struck me wrong. But as I said, you’re free to do as you please and I’m free to hold whatever petty hang-ups I please. 

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

Even Dolph back in 2008 was given 15 minutes to come up with something better than that, and he I guess spent that fifteen minutes listening to Ratt or something 

I thought that WAS the better name, and originally it was supposed to be "Dolph Diggler" and he said "No, can't do it- they'll know it's a Boogie Nights" reference, not going with that one. 

For what it's worth, I asked a buddy of mine who is a professional wrestler what he thought about fans using old gimmick names, and this is what he said:

Usually guys are working twice as hard to make something work so that people forget about the previous gimmick. So it being brought up gets pretty old.

• Like 2