DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Kevin Steen (NOT! Kevin Owens!)

Diehard fans refusing to refer to wrestlers by their WWE names always seemed particularly petty, but I've actually noticed it happening less and less as of late.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Diehard fans refusing to refer to wrestlers by their WWE names always seemed particularly petty, but I've actually noticed it happening less and less as of late.

I’ve never really noticed that happening much. Although it happened a lot with Matt Sydal, because... Well, “Evan Bourne” fucking sucked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ve never really noticed that happening much. Although it happened a lot with Matt Sydal, because... Well, “Evan Bourne” fucking sucked.

I mean, insert almost any name from 2007-2013ish and that is mostly true, but the spirit behind it is a rejection of WWE and their "Universe."

And as WNBB pointed out, it has been all over the place for years, probably most strongly with people refusing to call Claudio Castagnoli "Cesaro." There have been other examples ("AmDrag," "KENTA," "Hero") People will explain it with various forms of "That's just what I've always called him since I loved him in ROH" but you don't see anything similar happening in any corner of wrestling other than beloved puro/indie guys going to WWE. Nobody refuses to acknowledge Demolition Ax because he was first established as Masked Superstar, because that's clearly silly, but this is still a thing.

• Like 1

Look, there have been more strawmen armies eviscerated in these posts that there should be a virtual national holiday, I'll say my peace and I'm done.

That "hardcores" won't get invested in them because whatever is nonsense. The bottom line is, the WWE has made sure that the only thing long term to count on is in ring action. The storylines are half-assed, lazy and generally lame. The characters are wooden stilt people who act strangely. Anytime somebody gets over, it's because they somehow get seen as real people. 

Those storylines in the late 90's were so dumb ass shit, but people wanted to watch the people performing them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kassius Ohno is the worst name. Give me Oney Lorcan all fucking day over Kassius Ohno. I think he may be the only guy whom I still refer to by his indie name because I die inside every time I hear Kassius Ohno.

The Hana photos are clearly a joke at this point, though, right? Are they any worse than the Alexa or Becky photos that came before them?

I'm reluctant to jump in on this conversation because I generally avoid the long-winded posts that are yelling about stuff that doesn't actually exist, but I call bullshit on anybody saying diehards don't get invested into storylines these days. I was crying when Kenny and Kota embraced in Sapporo almost a year to this day. I remember the goosebumps when Bryan was on the cage in that stupid Wyatt coverall leading the best fan interaction I've ever seen in wrestling. Lucha Underground went completely over the top in its storylines but I was marking out like an 8-year-old kid watching Mil Muertes sitting on his throne basking in the combat in front of him like he's Shao Kahn. Grown adults (well kind of mostly) went apeshit for a guy coming back from the dead accompanied by a phalanx of phalluses. Companies who respect their fanbase and write half-way compelling stories with interesting characters get the reactions they intend all of the time and in a variety of settings. This fan backlash was a problem Vince and company created and they either aren't flexible enough or smart enough to make it work. I don't think it's the latter because HHH gets the responses he wants the majority of the time in NXT. This shit ain't hard. Yeah, we'll like guys we saw develop in the indies and have a soft spot for them but who is booing Big E because he didn't wrestle in ROH? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

One of my friends once referred to Vince recristening workers with "their slave name." 

I think Big Show also said that in 2007 when he worked that one-off match against Hogan during his year away, Big Show was his slave name and for that night he was Paul "The Great" Wight

AND ANOTHER THING...

Truth is a global treasure who they've had around since like Wrestlemania III and done diddly with. Charismatic, hilarious, can cut great promos, raps, great look, and when motivated and given a shot, guy can work too. What a waste but better late than never.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 years ago, if you'd asked us where Jeff Hardy would be in 2019, we'd have said Dead or in a wheelchair. How is it that he's taken so much punishment in his career and he's still jumping off the top rope every night? I mean, between the Hardys, the Dudleys, and Edge & Christian, he'd have been most people's pick to retire first, wouldn't he?

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

20 years ago, if you'd asked us where Jeff Hardy would be in 2019, we'd have said Dead or in a wheelchair. How is it that he's taken so much punishment in his career and he's still jumping off the top rope every night? I mean, between the Hardys, the Dudleys, and Edge & Christian, he'd have been most people's pick to retire first, wouldn't he?

I mean, he did spend a lot of that time doing a shit load of drugs. That probably took a little of the edge off whatever pain he was in.

Voices of Wrestling published the results for their 2018 MOTY poll. I'm gonna make sure I see most of the stuff at least in the top 100 and the stuff that interests me beyond that. 

I don't have a lot against it other than, I know I know, the Gargano match is way too high for me (well both of them), but I get it, especially the Andrade match. And the Takeda/Kodaka match didn't live up to the hype for me but BJW deathmatches aren't my thing anymore. My top 10 is: Dominion main, Omega/Ishii G1, Ibushi/Tanahashi, Ibushi/Ishii and Golden Lovers/Bucks with WALTER/Thatcher from Progress and WALTER/Allin from EVOLVE, Brock/Bryan, Park/Rooosh, and then maybe the Andrade/Gargano rounding out the top 10.

• Like 1

Not that it matters, but WALTER/Allin and WALTER/Thatcher maybe the best 2 WALTER matches ever.

Also, Riddle/Ospreay from the WWN SuperShow is the best Ospreay match I've ever seen.

Gargano/Andrade is my pick for MOTY.

Brock/Bryan is also an top 10 for me.

All 5 of those would make my top 10 easily.

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

There is an old DVDVR from around 20 years ago that literally said "Matt Hardy 2010*: WWF Champion. Jeff Hardy 2010: Wheelchair". 

*or some date thereabouts