DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2019 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

RULES:
You get five predictions. Your five predictions must be different from everyone else. In the case of someone posting duplicates, whoever posted it first will get it.
Can't be super vague. (ex. a UFC belt will only be defended twice. However, the UFC middleweight title will switch hands twice is acceptable.) I am not going to try to figure out what you mean. Starting this year, simply saying "X will fight for/win/defend the __________ title" or any other variation is prohibited. If you want to do that, you can just put that in your tiebreakers like any other year.
Predictions of events that are pretty much a foregone conclusion will be automatically disqualified. I will ask you to substitute or add on to that prediction. Examples would be:

• Fedor Emelianenko will retire this year.
  • Jose Aldo will retire this year.
  • Khabib Nurmagomedov will return later this year to defend his championship.

Weird stuff like drug tests, injuries, and deaths, we will stay away from because of obvious reasons and it lacks creativity.

First one to three or the closest to three correct predictions wins. The tiebreak, if needed, will be the UFC champions on February 4, 2020. No two people can have the exact same twelve champions on their list .Remember, I will generally side with the more specific ones especially if two or more people get three correct. If both have three quality correct predictions, I will then go to the tiebreaker.

HW (265lbs):
LHW (205lbs):
MW (185lbs):
WW (170lbs):
LW (155lbs):
FW (145lbs):
BW (135lbs):
FlyW (125lbs):
Women's Featherweight (145lbs):
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):
Women's Strawweight (115lbs):

2014 winner: grizzlyedwin
2015 winner: Hail Sabin
2016 winner: DreamBroken
2017 winner: AxB
2018 winner: Hail Sabin

The contest deadline will be February 8, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. CST.

OK, let me think...

1) The Bellator Welterweight Championship will change hands TWICE during the Welterweight Grand Prix.

2) Conor McGregor will lose at least two title matches in 2019.

3) An undefeated fighter will win a championship in either UFC or Bellator

4) Paddy Pimblett will go undefeated, win the Cage Warriors Lightweight title, and be signed to the UFC by the end of the year.

5) Mackenzie Dern will not lose a fight. But she will also miss weight at least twice.

HW (265lbs): Alexander Volkov
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones
MW (185lbs): Robert Whittaker
WW (170lbs): Kamaru Usman
LW (155lbs): Khabib Nurmagomedov
FW (145lbs): Tony Ferguson
BW (135lbs): Dominic Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): Henry Cejudo
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Ketlen Vieira
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Jessica Andrade

If Max loses his belt to the dude the guy confused him with in Toronto, he might jump off a bridge. 

Also, that dude is in for a serious mindfuck when he sees those two dudes square off in the cage.

1. Khabib vs. Tony Ferguson is made and finally happens this year for the UFC World Lightweight Championship.
  2. Max Holloway gets his wish granted and the UFC does a show in Hawaii that he main events.
  3. Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya is the headliner for a stadium show in either Australia or New Zealand.
  4. Cris Cyborg has an official pro wrestling match in a notable wrestling promotion.
  5. Deontay Wilder wins his rematch against Tyson Fury and does so inside the distance.

HW (265lbs): Jon Jones
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones
MW (185lbs): Israel Adesanya
WW (170lbs): Tyron Woodley
FW (145lbs): Max Holloway
BW (135lbs): Marlon Moraes
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Holly Holm
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Tatiana Suarez

1. Kayla Harrison will go Unbeaten and win her Tournament in PFL 

2.  Jake Hager will have a better MMA record then Filthy Tom Lawlor this year. 

3. Mackenzie Dern will win a fight in less time then she misses weight by (for example is she misses by 5 pounds the threshold is she wins in less than 5 mins). 

4. PVZ/King Reina will have a Pro Wrestling match in a notable promotion by the end of the year. 

5. We will get a Shevchenko vs. Shevchenko fight in 2019 

HW (265lbs):  Derrick Lewis 
MW (185lbs):  Robert Whittaker 
Women's Featherweight (145lbs):  Megan Anderson

Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes

Women's Strawweight (115lbs):  Rose Namajunas 

1. Aspen Ladd will remain undefeated through 2019 while Holly Holm will go winless in 2019.

2. Ryan Bader will keep both Bellator HW/LHW championships through the year

3. Jose Aldo will win the rest of his fights on this retirement tour this year by stoppages

4. After over a year out, Nicco Montano will have a successful comeback, winning whatever fight she has but will not get a chance to regain her title this year.

5. Milana Dudieva will win the upcoming Invicta FC flyweight tournament

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
WW (170lbs): Colby Covington
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Joanne Calderwood
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Tatiana Suarez

9 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

1. Kayla Harrison will go Unbeaten and win her Tournament in PFL 

2.  Jake Hager will have a better MMA record then Filthy Tom Lawlor this year. 

3. Mackenzie Dern will win a fight in less time then she misses weight by (for example is she misses by 5 pounds the threshold is she wins in less than 5 mins). 

4. Cyborg/PVZ/King Reina/Pannie 2 of those will have a Pro Wrestling match in a notable promotion by the end of the year. 

5. Hager/Lawlor/Brock/Lashley/Batista/Shamrock 2 of those 6 will hold pro Wrestling titles with TV at the end of the year. 

HW (265lbs):  Derrick Lewis 
MW (185lbs):  Robert Whittaker 
Women's Featherweight (145lbs):  Megan Anderson

Women's Strawweight (115lbs):  Rose Namajunas .

@Hail Sabin, can you narrow down 4 and (especially) 5 so it would be a little easier to keep track of? We can't hedge our bets with 5 different parts.

39 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

1. Aspen Ladd will remain undefeated through 2019 while Holly Holm will go winless in 2019.

2. Ryan Bader will keep both Bellator HW/LHW championships through the year while Jake Hager emerges as the top Heavyweight contender by the end of the year.

3. Jose Aldo will win the rest of his fights on this retirement tour this year by stoppages

4. After over a year out, Nicco Montano will have a successful comeback, winning whatever fight she has but will not get a chance to regain her title this year.

5. Milana Dudieva will win the upcoming Invicta FC flyweight tournament

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
WW (170lbs): Colby Covington
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Joanne Calderwood
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Tatiana Suarez

@DreamBroken since it's Bellator and the heavyweight division, I'm giving Hail Sabin the Hager one since it's essentially the same. You can keep the Bader part of that since it can stand alone as its own prediction. You can still alter it, of course.

13 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Was watching Halftime Heat now will try to fix it. 

Since I already mentioned Cyborg, I will count 4 as Paige VanZant AND King Reina will both have wrestling matches for notable promotions.

Now that I think about it, it would be best to come up with a new prediction for number 5 and have it MMA/boxing/kickboxing centered. All those guys are already competing for pro wrestling belts or already hold them. Plus, it's not like belts are in short supply. Also, let's keep it to a minimum of one or two parties involved in the prediction as to limit the either/or aspect.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Since I already mentioned Cyborg, I will count 4 as Paige VanZant AND King Reina will both have wrestling matches for notable promotions.

Now that I think about it, it would be best to come up with a new prediction for number 5 and have it MMA/boxing/kickboxing centered. All those guys are already competing for pro wrestling belts or already hold them. Plus, it's not like belts are in short supply. Also, let's keep it to a minimum of one or two parties involved in the prediction as to limit the either/or aspect.

Fixed 4 to what it says in you post. I used those 4 since we talked about those 4 in the AEW thread. 

I put a new #5 that probably won't happen but I couldn't think of a quick Ilima-Lei Macfarlane one. 

6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Fixed 4 to what it says in you post. I used those 4 since we talked about those 4 in the AEW thread. 

I put a new #5 that probably won't happen but I couldn't think of a quick Ilima-Lei Macfarlane one. 

Ok, we are good now.

I know these won't count because I missed the deadline but I'll throw five in here for fun. I can't keep up with the ufc like you all do though - I watch every show but there's just too many fighters and divisions to try and keep track of.

1- One Fc ends 2019 with only two filipino champions across thd men's mma divisions. 

2- Eddie Alvarez is eliminated from the One gp before the finals (ie. he loses in the quarters or semis - not by injury ooc).

3- Tenshin either signs with One or competes in a Rizin-One co-promoted event.

4- Angela Lee loses in March but wins at least two fights after that before year end.

5- McGregor has a fight announced this year but doesn't actually compete because some type of shenanigans. He does not fight this year.

HW (265lbs): Jon Jones
MW (185lbs): Kelvin Gastelum
BW (135lbs): TJ Dillashaw
Women's Bantamweight ( 135lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (11 5lbs): Jessica Andrade

2 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

I know these won't count because I missed the deadline but I'll throw five in here for fun. I can't keep up with the ufc like you all do though - I watch every show but there's just too many fighters and divisions to try and keep track of.

1- One Fc ends 2019 with only two filipino champions across thd men's mma divisions. 

2- Eddie Alvarez is eliminated from the One gp before the finals (ie. he loses in the quarters or semis - not by injury ooc).

3- Tenshin either signs with One or competes in a Rizin-One co-promoted event.

4- Angela Lee loses in March but wins at least two fights after that before year end.

5- McGregor has a fight announced this year but doesn't actually compete because some type of shenanigans. He does not fight this year.

I'll accept them but you gotta add the champions for the tiebreak.

8 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Awesome. If it's alright, I'll do that later today when I'm on a work computer. My laptop is still busted and I can't be bothered to write out the champions list on my phone.

No problem.