DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXV - 4/7/2019

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

If Roman Reigns returning from a second battle with leukemia and being featured in an A-list Hollywood action film isn't good for you, why should any wrestler try to entertain you?

I just don’t care for watching Roman as the top guy, even with all those factors, it won’t change that. Maybe it’s the way they’ve booked him as “The guy the Authority want to stop”, or maybe it’s just him. It’s gotta be something, because I find him, and his stories painfully boring.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just don’t care for watching Roman as the top guy, even with all those factors, it won’t change that. Maybe it’s the way they’ve booked him as “The guy the Authority want to stop”, or maybe it’s just him. It’s gotta be something, because I find him, and his stories painfully boring.

You've missed the point. It has nothing to do with Reigns. You can plug in anyone battling a potentially terminal illness with a big-budget movie in the can. They're going to be treated as conquering heroes in many fan circles.

But you're saying that doesn't matter for anyone.

And how do we know how he'll be written when he returns? We don't know when that will be. It may not happen at all.  The what-aboutisms concerning him are for nothing to this point.

The whole "hate the character" qualifier is sad and hilarious. Folks right here were saying how Roman needed to be gone for a year to reset his character, then maybe they'll like him. No one saw cancer coming, obviously. But that he's out of the way for what will be a while (or longer) and somehow the character still bothers you when he hasn't been on TV for 3 months? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

You've missed the point. It has nothing to do with Reigns. You can plug in anyone battling a potentially terminal illness with a big-budget movie in the can. They're going to be treated as conquering heroes in many fan circles.

But you're saying that doesn't matter for anyone.

And how do we know how he'll be written when he returns? We don't know when that will be. It may not happen at all.  The what-aboutisms concerning him are for nothing to this point.

The whole "hate the character" qualifier is sad and hilarious. Folks right here were saying how Roman needed to be gone for a year to reset his character, then maybe they'll like him. No one saw cancer coming, obviously. But that he's out of the way for what will be a while (or longer) and somehow the character still bothers you when he hasn't been on TV for 3 months? 

Where did he say that? He was talking about his own opinion. And maybe you talk your way into insults with statements like that. I'm not saying the insults are justified but let's not pretend we're all angels here and mistreated by the board in general.

I only follow through watching PPVs, very highly touted TV matches and listening/reading reviews. However, it's pretty clear that the company is in a holding pattern now that they don't have Roman after FINALLY anointing him to be the guy. They don't know what to do because everybody else outside of Roman and Brock were treated as JAGs. Their Roman fascination has caused a huge problem for them, so yeah... Even with him off TV for three months, he's still a big factor.

8 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Because I've seen her work for the last three years, and I've seen people on this board take on extremely positive (and negative) opinions on specific wrestlers without their work necessarily being able to back it up for almost 20 years.

It isn't that I don't like Sasha. I enjoyed the NXT stuff with Becky and Bayley as much as anyone. But either the PC rehearsals made those matches or her work has seriously deteriorated since the call-up, to the point where the narrative of "Sasha is a super worker being held down" doesn't really make sense anymore. There's only so much you can blame on the booking and agents.

FWIW, the Bayley/Sasha matches weren't rehearsed at the PC. According to them, they literally didn't talk about what they doing at Brooklyn until the night before because Sasha was on the road with the main roster the full time.

I still think the Bayley/Asuka match from RAW last year was the best main roster women's match in 2018. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

And here I sit alone. #feeltheglow

I'm there with you. Naomi is very good and should be in consideration more for big pushes. But she's stuck working with a robot in Mandy Rose in a terrible story.

And that's the overall point some of us try to make. We think Naomi deserves more recognition, but she's rarely discussed here. I get accused of stanning for Roman Reigns, some think we have it in for Sasha Banks. 98% of those accusations are untrue. But we don't see things the same way. That's cool, makes for more interesting conversation. But it's social media and things go off-course in a hurry. Apparently, some of us talk our way into being mistreated--who knew? (sarcasm)

So, yeah, that WrestleMania card is coming along nicely, eh?

Can't wait for Rebecca Knox to walkout of MetLife Stadium with Ronda's title.

Maybe Tyler Black walks out with a title, too and they dedicate their title wins to Ian Rotten!

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Wait, did Becky Lynch work IWA Mid-South at one point? I legitimately didn't know that.

Nah, just SHIMMER.

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If the rumors of AEW trying to get Brock are true ...

If true, that's some next level shit.  Put out word that you're going to sign Brock when he's free.  Brock - being one of the main anathemas of WWE right now - keeps retaining as champ and signs multiyear deals.  Fans get disgusted and are ready for an alternative. Here comes AEW.

Shit, son.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that people just think Sasha is a great worker. I never knew that was such a controversial opinion.

To be fair I think Sasha is a great worker, just a bit overrated.

• Like 1

Where you fall on Sasha says as much about you as it does about her. I think she's really quite good at the big picture stuff, of letting her character shine, of telling the story of the match, of doing very little things to help achieve both. Moreover, her matches can have pretty compelling stories. Where she struggles is the actual execution of hitting stuff. To some people that's a killer. A lot of the time it's because she overstretches and tries to do things that she can't actually manage (which I guess is a little different than the Bayley criticism). As such, I'm a little mixed. I don't care a ton about execution if you get everything else right, but I do think people ought to work with open (and clever)-eyes to their limits.

• Like 5

Her matches definitely have a more coherent feel to to their narratives than Becky's and Becky is by no means a smooth operator in the ring herself, so I don't think there's a huge gulf between those two in bell-to-bell ability. Promos and character work are where Becky really outshines Sasha.

Just spitballing here.  But successfully pulling off the Iron Woman match or that top rope reverse Rana would be enough to convince me to keep raising the difficulty level.  

That being said, it definitely opens Sasha up to that criticism that “hitting” what she is going for is valid.  She is super ambitious and it’s both a strength and the trap she keeps falling into.  

From over here Sasha still has plenty of Main Event credit to spend (in the case of the potential injury to Becky) that slotting her into another match with whomever is Champion is easy and plausible.  Not even shitty booking has robbed her of that yet.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/wrestlemania-35/article/axxess

For those curious, the Premium VIP and VIP listings are:

Premium VIP sessions: 

·         Thursday, April 4         8:00PM-10:00PM                Charlotte Flair

·         Friday, April 5              6:00PM-8:00PM                 Ronda Rousey

·         Friday, April 5              8:00PM-10:00PM               Shane McMahon

·         Saturday, April 6         8:00AM-10:00AM              Seth Rollins

·         Saturday, April 6         10:00AM-12:00PM            Becky Lynch

·         Monday, April 8          12:00PM-2:00PM               AJ Styles

VIP sessions: 

·         Thursday, April 4         6:00PM-8:00PM                  The New Day       

·         Friday, April 5              1:00PM-3:00PM                  Sasha Banks/ Bayley

·         Friday, April 5              3:00PM-5:00PM                  The Miz/ Maryse

·         Saturday, April 6         1:00PM-3:00PM                  Daniel Bryan

·         Saturday, April 6         3:00PM-5:00PM                  Braun Strowman

·         Saturday, April 6         6:00PM-8:00PM                  Asuka

·         Saturday, April 6         8:00PM-10:00PM                NXT Champions (Men & Women)

·         Sunday, April 7            8:00AM-10:00AM               Dean Ambrose

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unpinned and unfeatured this topic