DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXV - 4/7/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We will be going to WrestleMania this year and it's the first one I've ever attended. We will also be hitting NXT New York that Friday night. I'm excited and I'm sure we'll have a good time just off the fact we haven't done the whole WM weekend thing before. 

Enjoy Bat pal.

---

I miss the distinctive WWE set displays. I liked how the Royal Rumble's was scaled back this year. Make them different.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The only one I went to was 29, and it was COLD AS FUCK in the upper deck. 55 on the ground is like 40 up that high.

Only things I remember from WrestleMania XXIX is The Underaker vs. CM Punk. Taker's last great WrestleMania match, and two awesome entrances for Undertaker and CM Punk. The other things I recall: Daniel Bryan and Kane leading a Yes chant after retaining the WWE Tag Team Titles  and The Rock vs. John Cena II for the WWE Championship.

Taker/Punk was amazing. Probably the second best match I've ever seen live, and easily the most dramatic.

I don't think it aired, but Big E carrying Dolph out slung over his shoulder like a sleeping bag was a highlight.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The only one I went to was 29, and it was COLD AS FUCK in the upper deck. 55 on the ground is like 40 up that high.

The only wrestling show I have ever been to was WM 25. I'm still pissed I didn't get my Orton/Cena main event though I enjoyed Taker/HBK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The only wrestling show I have ever been to was WM 25. I'm still pissed I didn't get my Orton/Cena main event though I enjoyed Taker/HBK.

WrestleMania XXV: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels in a classic match, Ricky Steamboat wrestling for the first time in years - greatness never leaves and a wretched main event in Triple H vs. Randy Orton.

The only good Triple H/Orton match ever was the Last Man Standing match at No Mercy 2007. There were three Last Man Standing match that year, the best of them was John Cena vs. Umaga at the Royal Rumble.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:51 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Charlotte should be in a prominent match on the show but so should Sasha and nobody is feeling sorry for her. At least Charlotte has a backup plan part II vs. Asuka. Sasha has nothing.  This is one where management should be able to take the room temperature and arrive at the right decision but I don't think they will. I'll be surprised if they get it right. 

Wait, what has Sasha done this year to merit a prominent spot at Wrestlemania? 

19 minutes ago, just drew said:

Wait, what has Sasha done this year to merit a prominent spot at Wrestlemania? 

What do you mean?  She doesn't have the book.  She can only perform in the setting that the writers have scripted for her.  She was given a couple weeks notice that she'd be fighting Ronda at the Royal Rumble.  So what did she do?  She flew out and trained for the match with H.O.G. going over different moves and ideas that she could bring to the table that would make the match different than anything Ronda has been involved in.  She did this on her day off.  Nobody asked her to. She also showed up at the performance center and trained with Gulak and Lorcan. The end result was arguably Ronda's best singles match,  quite possibly the match of the night at the Royal Rumble. 

As far as overall popularity goes,  nobody on the women's roster does more with less. She moves more merch than almost any other female in the company,  her social media presence is astounding for someone who hasn't been given much opportunity over the last two years. She has more instagram followers than any female not named Ronda or the Bellas.  You know how WWE loves that. What hasn't she done?  She's kept herself relevant despite every effort to tear her down. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The problem with the who deserves what argument is several women deserve good spots. Only a precious few will get them. Naomi and Carmella are popular with strong fanbases and title reigns. No one is advocating for them to get a prime slot. Why would Naomi be in the Women's Battle Royal again? She won last year and they did nothing with it. What about Alexa Bliss? Heck, Nia Jax in a high-profile spot will give them some of the mainstream press they love. 

Definitely there are more women who deserve good spots on the show. Spitballing ideas, while reverting Nia Jax to her role as Alexa's muscle would be narratively unsatisfying, it could get us Alexa and Nia vs Saha and Bayley for the tag titles. Naomi has been underserved by the writing for some time, but at least she has a storyline now, even if it's not great. So maybe they could spare a few minutes to blow off Naomi vs Mandy?

Carmella can appear in a between-match segment of some sort; it's not like in-ring work is her forte.

The question is, how many matches do you actually want on this show? Because, with the way they run things, there's just no way that everyone who deserves a showcase spot is going to get one. Unless you change your definition of deserving. The likes of Carmella and Naomi are probably going to have to be satisfied with a battle royal spot again.

• Like 1

I can't imagine that feud stretching out two more months. It should blow off at EC, Fastlane, or TV in the next few months.

Naomi has gotten stuck in a not great spot. When they first split the rosters, she was one of the two solid babyfaces SDL had in the division. But with Charlotte coming over and turning face/tweener, Asuka coming over, and Becky's heel turn flopping as she became the top face, Naomi is suddenly fourth on both booking and popularity. Toss in that those three above her have monopolized the title since August, there's no room for her as a face in the title picture. She should probably get a turn in the next few months if they want to get anything out of her above this level.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't imagine that feud stretching out two more months. It should blow off at EC, Fastlane, or TV in the next few months.

Naomi has gotten stuck in a not great spot. When they first split the rosters, she was one of the two solid babyfaces SDL had in the division. But with Charlotte coming over and turning face/tweener, Asuka coming over, and Becky's heel turn flopping as she became the top face, Naomi is suddenly fourth on both booking and popularity. Toss in that those three above her have monopolized the title since August, there's no room for her as a face in the title picture. She should probably get a turn in the next few months if they want to get anything out of her above this level.

She was pretty good in the MMC as essentially a 3rd Uso, and turning from super colorful baby faces to having more of an edge certainly worked out for them.  Mandy pushing her buttons and organically bring out the "hard" Naomi isn't the worst idea.

You could probably pretty easily shoe-horn the two of them into a Bar/Usos program, turn it into a 6-person tag to give them all something for Mania.  

13 hours ago, just drew said:

Wait, are you the “Sasha is a top three in ring female of all time” guy? 

I don't remember saying that but she's definitely near top 3 on the main roster. West Newbury and Morelock disagree so that's not the side of history you want to find yourself on.

Sasha's been dragged down by Bayley for years now but any time she gets to break free from that, she usually shines. Loved her last solo run vs Alexa in 2017.

I know she wouldn't get a prominent WM spot but I thought Carmella ended up having a pretty great year and actually shined the most after she lost the title with a really great title rematch vs. Charlotte and looking very good in the 3 way with Becky/Charlotte even though she's going way back down the card. While Naomi doesn't get much to do as of late, I absolutely loved her match with Asuka the week after TLC as Asuka's first title defense a couple months back.

23 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I remember a post in the not-so-distant past where brother claimed that Sasha was top 3 or 5 women's wrestler in WWF/E history.

I remember this as well and look, I like Sasha a lot, but thinking she's that high up is straight up dumb.

Someone just said Sasha’s been dragged down by Bayley. Wow. WOW. Sasha’s good. She’d be better if she could stop the botches and the injuring people. But to say she deserves a prominent spot at wrestlemania based on her position this year is asinine. And, ftr, she’s not even the third best horsewoman, let alone all time...

At the start of last year, Sasha had a much stronger case, but between great matches from a bunch of the other women and her being given very little to do, she's been passed by.

Given the shot, she might be able to get back up there.