DVDVR Message Board

Daisy, We Hardly Knew Ye - SDL - 1/29/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I agree that it was cool to see Mandy have some motivation beyond “I’ll take your man” and It would be cool to have Naomi show up with a partner to force Sonya and Mandy to actually earn their way into the Chamber match. 

Anyway :) Good showing on SmackDown. The Becky and Charlotte stuff was great and that ending segment was on fire. For a moment I groaned at Orton showing up, but then it registered they were just setting up Elimination Chamber.

The Miz and Shane tag stuff is...meh, I'm over it. In the lead up to their match I thought it was all cute, but then the match had to happen and I had to watch Sheamus and Cesaro sell for Shane. My wife happened to be watching that part of the Royal Rumble with me and was like, "why is this guy who looks like an old dad beating up the two really muscular guys." The mental gymnastics I had to perform to explain who Shane is and why wrestlers sell for him was too much and it just soured me on the whole thing. 

One other thing about that final segment is that I really thought Ali belongs in the main event scene. Dude is going to be a WWE champion someday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah, Samoa Joe remains the best promo in the company. The only people that come close are Daniel Bryan and Paul Heyman. I really think if Joe were around 50 to 100 lbs lighter, basically close to his ROH weight, then he would have been a WWE champion by now instead of being a gatekeeper.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Mandy Rose. So, I liked that they went ALL the way back to Tough Enough to reference why she hates Naomi.  That was interesting though I mean she can't take constructive criticism at all can she,  wow.  

One thing that didn't make sense.  Her and Sonya "declared" themselves for the Elimination Chamber match to determine the women's tag champions.  Why can they declare but the women on RAW have to go through qualifying matches?  Makes no sense.  In reality, I'm guessing someone on the writing team realized they don't have enough women on the roster to do six qualifiers. 

Raw and Smackdown are different brands (although now run by the same people), so there’s no rule they have to have the same qualifiers.

Amazing to me how much better smackdown is booked than raw. Every main event player is clearly motivated and defined. Also, no Seth Rollins. 

Erick Rowan is the man of a thousand lives. The opposite of Mil Muertes. Samoa Joe pulls no punches on the mic. Seeing Orton’s reaction to that was fantastic. I liked the Mandy Rose thing, but any time she’s on my screen is a good thing. 

Where is sanity?? Gotta do something with those guys.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I was kinda hoping that Sanity would be Daniel Bryan's anarchist antifa goon squad but I'm fine with Rowan (and maybe Harper) being Bryan's muscle. 

I’m still not certain they won’t be. I was sure they were gonna end up being Dean’s “purge gang.” They gotta do something with those guys, though. Too cool a look/presentation to stay in dark matches...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The one thing I'm bummed about with Rowan is that I liked the Bludgeon Brothers and now Harper potentially has no direction again. That guy is way too talented to waste. 

Hopefully Harper joins them as a stable? I'm not sure how they pun up his name to make it more recyclable though.

Daniel Bryan can cut a promo on a beach and have Luke Harper emerge from the water as The Green Haze or something

"Swamp Redneck Cult" and "Neohippie Eco-Terrorist Cell" has a lot of fashion overlap, the erstwhile Wyatt Family don't really need new names or looks to slot in to The Planeteers From Hell.

oh, fine, Gluten Free Luke Harper.

I actually want to rename the Harper/Rowan team "Biodegration" and have them recycle the Demolition theme with new eco-conscious lyrics

[obviously without the leather masks.  And hemp BDSM harnesses are, thankfully, not included]

• Like 1

They don't seem to ever like using Harper solo. The one time they did was during that run up to Bray vs Orton. Even then, every singles run he's had is either aborted or ended by injury. 

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I actually want to rename the Harper/Rowan team "Biodegration" and have them recycle the Demolition theme with new eco-conscious lyrics

[obviously without the leather masks.  And hemp BDSM harnesses are, thankfully, not included]

Here comes the recycler, here comes the trasher...Biodegradation...avoiding eco disaster?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

The one thing I'm bummed about with Rowan is that I liked the Bludgeon Brothers and now Harper potentially has no direction again. That guy is way too talented to waste. 

I know he had some sort of surgery or injury recently, but it’s a bummer that they held initially Harper out due to Rowan’s injury, only for Rowan to come back without him.

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Daniel Bryan can cut a promo on a beach and have Luke Harper emerge from the water as The Green Haze or something.

The Southpaw Swamp Monster?

40 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They don't seem to ever like using Harper solo. The one time they did was during that run up to Bray vs Orton. Even then, every singles run he's had is either aborted or ended by injury. 

He was solo during the initial Wyatt breakup and won the IC title.