DVDVR Message Board

Daisy, We Hardly Knew Ye - SDL - 1/29/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I enjoy Charlotte Flair as a face, but damn, she is awesome as a dick heel, right down to mocking Becky's "injury.": 

Plus they've been feuding for about six months now and crowds are still chanting LET THEM FIGHT, which speaks to how good they both are.

• Like 7

Holy shit that was maybe my favorite two hours of WWE television in years.  The hemp title is glorious,  unreal.   I loved all the shit with R-Truth.  The tag title contenders match was good too.  

Andrade killing Rey and not to be a 'netico but Zelina... wow.  

Samoa Joe was the icing.  THAT intensity and the line on Hardy: "Hey, why don't you act like this an AA meeting and shut your mouth while I'm sharing with the group."  Damn. 

• Like 7

I feel like Charlotte is in a 2001 Triple H situation here. A top guy in her own right, but the tippy toppy transcendent biggest-match-in-several-years main event for Wrestlemania just doesn't have her name in the cards this year (e.g. Rock/Austin). I think we'll see this play out similarly to 2001, and even see them play with internet fan emotions a bit by strongly hinting at a three-way on the way to the big show, but at the end of the day they will go with the obvious big match.

I'd expect something like Becky/Charlotte at Fastlane and if Charlotte wins it becomes a three way. Fans somewhat freak out or groan. Ronda comes out to cost Charlotte the match at the end as to ensure she has all the glory of beating Lynch to herself. Something like that.

Disappointed not to see Rey there at the end. Ronda/Becky, Brock/Rollins, Asuka/Charlotte, Bryan/Rey would be a really nice set of four pillars to build WM around. Each with a different style.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I feel like Charlotte is in a 2001 Triple H situation here. A top guy in her own right, but the tippy toppy transcendent biggest-match-in-several-years main event for Wrestlemania just doesn't have her name in the cards this year (e.g. Rock/Austin). I think we'll see this play out similarly to 2001, and even see them play with internet fan emotions a bit by strongly hinting at a three-way on the way to the big show, but at the end of the day they will go with the obvious big match.

I'd expect something like Becky/Charlotte at Fastlane and if Charlotte wins it becomes a three way. Fans somewhat freak out or groan. Ronda comes out to cost Charlotte the match at the end as to ensure she has all the glory of beating Lynch to herself. Something like that.

Disappointed not to see Rey there at the end. Ronda/Becky, Brock/Rollins, Asuka/Charlotte, Bryan/Rey would be a really nice set of four pillars to build WM around. Each with a different style.

I get why people make this analogy, but it ignores that Becky and Ronda are not The Rock and Austin. The Rock and Austin were by 2001 experienced PPV main-eventers who had already fought on the biggest stage, and were seasoned pros so there weren't any doubts about the match living up to the hype. Ronda is good but has also been a wrestler for a year, plus also has a tendency to get rattled by hostile crowds (and hostile crowds are what we're going to see any time Becky is involved), and Becky is definitely good but isn't the most athletic and has a relatively unexciting moveset, in addition to the fact we don't know what their ring chemistry is like while Charlotte has excellent chemistry with both and can pull off spots and take bumps that will help with that vaunted 'big fight feel'.  I still think its absolutely the right decision to have Becky win the big one at Mania, but I do think Charlotte will be in the match to help ensure its a success and make it more memorable.

• Like 2

I had a date with the night, so I only caught the last 45 minutes.

I like Rowan back to being a genius. I love the recycling symbol in his titantron. I read Luke Harper is close to be cleared and has been down at the PC. I think he returns at Elimination Chamber and helps Bryan retain. 

The Usos challenging for the tag belts again? I like Heavy Machinery, but no Good Brothers or Sanity? If I'm Gallows and Anderson, I'm just waiting out my contract to jump to AEW. 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

no Good Brothers or Sanity? If I'm Gallows and Anderson, I'm just waiting out my contract to jump to AEW. 

Here's how the Truth stuff went.  

R-Truth was granted a U.S. title match with Nakamura because he had his Royal Rumble spot taken.  

R-Truth pinned Nakamura via roll up to WIN THE U.S. TITLE.  Nakamura actually had his shoulder up at two and the referee missed it.  

Rusev came out and said this is all bullshit. Face me right now for the U.S. title.  

Lana and Carmella got into it and Rusev went after Carmella.  Truth stepped in and said okay let's fight.  

R-Truth wins against Rusev with a roll up and RETAINS.  

Nakamura shows back up and kills Truth.  Rusev joins in and stomps Truth as well..  

In the back the Good Brothers step to Rusev and say "hey, what's your deal? Why you do that to Truth?".   Rusev says fuck off.  Nakamura shows up and has Rusev's back.  

Next week on SMACKDOWN it's the Good Brothers vs. Rusev & Nakamura.  Rusev told Nakamura "I'll team with you once,  do not screw me over." 

I loved all of this. 

• Like 1

I read what I missed on the Observer site, but it just makes no sense. "No, we don't need to try to get a title shot because we have to stand up for R-Truth." It's just so beyond stupid. I'm going to give Elimination Chamber a chance, but if that disappoints I think I'm done with the main roster for a while. That said, I still support NXT and NXT UK. In fact, I'm going to the New Jersey nxt house show next Thursday. 

10 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Orton owning Ali on the mic during the ending seg was absolutely hilarious

Considering WrestleMania is about to be headlined by a woman's match, Orton pulling the "didn't you get beat by a girl?" came off insanely out of touch.  But hey, as long as you enjoyed it.

In fairness, Samoa Joe's theme saved Ali's horrible comeback.

• Like 1