DVDVR Message Board

PIKACHU, I CHOOSE YOU! - Raw - 1/28/2019

Dolfan in NYC

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

You'd think they learned SOMETHING by how many times they didn't pull the trigger on Roman beating Brock, but I doubt it. 

None of us should be surprised if WM ends and Brock and Ronda are both still champions. 

Sounds good.

11 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Does he? Are six years on the main roster, where for the first year or two I would expect him not making a ton, enough for fuck you money? I suppose it depends how he plans to spend the rest of his life. If he has fuck you money, good for him.

There was a year or two (or more) where he worked more dates than anyone and was at or near the top for that entire stretch. Additionally (and perhaps more importantly) it’s been reported that he lives very frugally, so he’s likely set for a very long time. 

• Like 1

I doubt he's got a few million in the bank, but high six or maybe just into seven figures? Seems plausible enough. Renee is still employed, and if he needs money I'm sure he can pick up some decent checks doing a light schedule on the indies if that's all he wants to do.

Or ROH and AEW will both likely be willing to throw six figures at him.

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

WWE just posted something on Twitter acknowledging that Dean Ambrose is leaving at the end of his contract, which makes his segment with Nia Jax seem really odd.

He's gonna put Nia over on his way out.

I'm not even joking, I think he really is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

WWE just posted something on Twitter acknowledging that Dean Ambrose is leaving at the end of his contract, which makes his segment with Nia Jax seem really odd.

See the main discussion thread

I think people are underestimating how much 20+ years of UFC/MMA cross pollination has overwritten WWE fan attitude w.r.t. submission losses and thus they are overestimating the "damage" done by having Becky Lynch tap to Asuka.

It's not the stigma it used to be.

[Especially with Lesnar and Rousey having been champions for so long now]

Hint #1 is that WWE now universally uses Tapping Out as the signal for submission rather than a head nod or saying "yes/I quit" that the audience has a hard time seeing (and which allowed the Montreal Screwjob to play out the way it did back in the day)

Hint #2 is people still changed rabidly for Becky as soon as Lana came out limping and they went nuts for Becky entering/winning The Rumble.

And honestly I'd rather it be this way than the other way round where every wrestler who dares have a submission finisher is dead in the water before they even start because they can never get a clean win with said finisher because Submitting = Heat Death (hello there, E-Fed flashback).

• Like 2

Normally it wouldn't bother me that much, but losing by clean tapout right before you're supposed to be perceived as the biggest threat to the unbeaten submission expert Rousey just kills that idea for me.

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Hint #1 is that WWE now universally uses Tapping Out as the signal for submission rather than a head nod or saying "yes/I quit" that the audience has a hard time seeing (and which allowed the Montreal Screwjob to play out the way it did back in the day)

Passing out in the hold is always the alternative, which they just used with Joe beating Hardy on SDL a few weeks ago, and that would've been preferable in this scenario for sure. Especially with all becky as stone cold comparisons made.

Oh...oh, that Ronda interview. When you need Bayley(who I am a shameless mark for despite the fact she is...not good at the promos)needs to save you from dying on the vine things are not good. Whoever is writing her interviews, even if she's the one doing it, need to stop. Her strong point is not the "I am a fighting champion who wants to bring honor to this belt". Her strength lies in the kind of fire and rage she showed against Becky. That being said, it does fit the way she's been presented that she struggles with the honorable champion interviews. It's like she(as a character)thinks that this is how a wrestler is supposed to talk and act, and that she as an outsider needs to be showing respect and being humble because she doesn't want to come across as thinking she's better then the rest. But, this is not a rational human being with and her natural reaction to adversity is to want to kill things with her bare hands. The real money in Ronda is as a complete asshole heel who isn't playing nice anymore. Uberbitch Ronda vs Ubernice Bayley would have been my ideal for summerslam, but who knows how that will go

• Like 1

Between this and Sasha at the PPV - if anyone still thinks they aren't running 4HW vs. 4HW at some point is just silly

(And it could be the non-Tournament match at the all women PPV)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Between this and Sasha at the PPV - if anyone still thinks they aren't running 4HW vs. 4HW at some point is just silly

Hey, if it's at the all Women's PPV (and we know who ran that last time)  How about 4HW vs. 4HW...  WarGames.   ?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hey, if it's at the all Women's PPV (and we know who ran that last time)  How about 4HW vs. 4HW...  WarGames.   ?

Yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Also, I'd love for the first ever main roster WarGames match to be between the women. It would be nice for the men to borrow an idea from the women for a change then and something other than an evening gown match too.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd get too excited, I haven't seen enough out of Duke and Shafir thus far to think they're not going to need their hands held hard through a straight 8 man let alone try to have them stumbling around in a War Games match.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So far we’ve gotten Sasha, Becky, and Bayley flashing the four fingers. Given that Becky and Charlotte are still feuding, that might hint at Charlotte being the one to be the final holdout/make an eventual save.  

I could see Becky winning at WM and Shayna jumping her the next night on Raw.

26 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I don't know if I'd get too excited, I haven't seen enough out of Duke and Shafir thus far to think they're not going to need their hands held hard through a straight 8 man let alone try to have them stumbling around in a War Games match.

I feel like War Games could cover for them a bit since it would mostly be brawling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I feel like War Games could cover for them a bit since it would mostly be brawling.

Still, they're green as turtle shit, I'm not sure a high profile gimmick match that has had as many misses as hits would be the best place for them.  Worst case, they can hide in an 8 woman match while Bayley bumps around for a couple spots for them while some combo of the other 6 do the heavy lifting.