DVDVR Message Board

PIKACHU, I CHOOSE YOU! - Raw - 1/28/2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, just drew said:

Better him than Rollins. I’d rather not have a champ on my tv than a whiny, charisma-free one...

Lesnar is holding that title all year. By SummerSlam, former Roman Reigns haters will all turn up to their local bone marrow clinics in hopes of getting him healthy and back in the ring because they know he’s the only thing keeping Brock from holding the belt forever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Asuka needs to rip Becky a new asshole. I mean absolutely blister her. Talked all that smack about how Asuka was a paper champion, got tapped out while being choked practically upside down, and then ran off to Raw instead of trying to face Asuka again.

It won't happen, but it should. 

See, this is exactly why I'm not sure having Asuka go over clean when the plan was clearly Becky vs Ronda was a good idea. I think it hurts Becky more than it helped Asuka.

And I don't agree that having Asuka verbally tear into Becky is a great plan right now - it would just draw attention to the weakness in the writing. And if they're not planning to do another Becky-Asuka match soon, where's the payoff? Save that for the buildup to Survivor Series.

30 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

See, this is exactly why I'm not sure having Asuka go over clean when the plan was clearly Becky vs Ronda was a good idea. I think it hurts Becky more than it helped Asuka.

And I don't agree that having Asuka verbally tear into Becky is a great plan right now - it would just draw attention to the weakness in the writing. And if they're not planning to do another Becky-Asuka match soon, where's the payoff? Save that for the buildup to Survivor Series.

Look at it from a character perspective. It's in Asuka's nature to be petty as the moment presents itself. Becky has made it easy for Asuka to be the pettiest of the petty. The Man runs away like a little boy after telling everyone that Asuka was not only a weak champion, but wasn't fit to lace her boots. Becky didn't just lose. She tapped while Asuka squeezed the life out of her.

Like I mentioned, I don't see it happening. But if we want the wrestlers/characters to act within what's natural for them, Asuka would berate Becky without mercy.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Regarding Asuka

I was packing some stuff for a move, and I came across my wrestling DVD collection, and I realized that WWE must be done with comps, because there should be no way in hell they'd pass up a chance to put out a set for Asuka.  The occasional match on an NXT best-of just doesn't cut it. 

20 minutes ago, nate said:

I was packing some stuff for a move, and I came across my wrestling DVD collection, and I realized that WWE must be done with comps, because there should be no way in hell they'd pass up a chance to put out a set for Asuka.  The occasional match on an NXT best-of just doesn't cut it. 

Their is an entire Asuka collection on the Network (which is pretty much where they do "comps" now)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

They're nuts if they don't go with Rollins at Mania. Even if just to transition to Drew by SummerSlam. They have to get Brock out of the title picture.

I mean, speaking for myself I'd rather Brock keep it over Seth, but it would be dumb and prove they've literally learned nothing.

That's pretty much guaranteed.

• Like 2

It's true that Asuka's been demonstrated to have a capacity for pettiness, but I don't think that really applies to her feud with Becky, since so much of the build was her outright ignoring Becky's twitter barbs and attempts at verbal jousting. It was pretty clear Asuka didn't need to have the literal last word at any point, so long as she got the last word in-ring. Of course, that's exactly how it went. She could certainly mention it, but I think verbally excoriating Becky would be a step back--and one that wouldn't lead anywhere. Best to let the announcers celebrate her win and a video package or two highlight it.

Dean Ambrose leaving will be like when Cody Rhodes left; it'll be a huge loss due to the crappy creative team. But the problem is, Ambrose wrestled matches where it's "do chain wrestling for five minutes, hit each other with 500 light tubes, finish is someone using a weedwacker, and it's all done in front of 50 people and you get paid $50 and go to the hospital afterwards" style. He doesn't have as many options as he thinks...he either has Impact Wrestling or AEW or maybe Lucha Underground or an UK fed.

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Look at it from a character perspective. It's in Asuka's nature to be petty as the moment presents itself. Becky has made it easy for Asuka to be the pettiest of the petty. The Man runs away like a little boy after telling everyone that Asuka was not only a weak champion, but wasn't fit to lace her boots. Becky didn't just lose. She tapped while Asuka squeezed the life out of her.

Like I mentioned, I don't see it happening. But if we want the wrestlers/characters to act within what's natural for them, Asuka would berate Becky without mercy.

Hmm. Could be. I generally only watch the PPVs and TakeOvers, not the weekly shows, so I could easily be missing out on nuances of character, but I had her pegged as the sort to let an ass-kicking speak for itself. She can certainly be dickish in the ring, but does she have a history of verbally berating her victims after a win?

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rumor is he's planning to leave when his contract ends after Mania.

There's a wrestling show in Las Vegas May 25th, which just happens to be where Ambrose lives. The MGM Grand Arena would come unglued if Jon Moxley shows up. If he attacks any of The Elite, you've got yourself an upper card-main event heel.

7 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Dean Ambrose leaving will be like when Cody Rhodes left; it'll be a huge loss due to the crappy creative team. But the problem is, Ambrose wrestled matches where it's "do chain wrestling for five minutes, hit each other with 500 light tubes, finish is someone using a weedwacker, and it's all done in front of 50 people and you get paid $50 and go to the hospital afterwards" style. He doesn't have as many options as he thinks...he either has Impact Wrestling or AEW or maybe Lucha Underground or an UK fed.

Dean Ambrose was ultra stoked for some heavy duty rubber whip thing he bought to kill snakes with. I don't think he gives a fuck if he's wrestling in AEW, doing garbage wrestling on the east coast, doing Suburban fight, or not wrestling at all and spending his time climbing rocks and riding bikes.

Oh, and he has a ton of fuck you money.

I'd say Dean Ambrose has more options than anyone else has.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I will never get this. There is always the "pass out" from a submission hold. It is such an easy finish. Four (five if you count Natalya) of the featured women use submission moves as a finish. A stoppage or pass out, especially if the move is "upgraded" makes so much more sense. It doesn't have to be every time like with Scott Steiner's "Recliner", but on occasion it would help.

It's not fair for me to judge where they're going with the storyline before they even do the first Smackdown afterwards, but I agreed the "Becky passes out and Askua wins" option sounds the best on paper. You can still do all the Askua taunting stuff and plant the seeds for a future "Becky still hasnt beaten Askua" feud yet it still keeps Becky looking tough. It's been long enough; you can crib this Austin moment without fear.

• Thanks 1

I feel bad for Ember Moon but maybe this will work out for her in the end. She can re-debut and she'll be ready to be plugged into a title feud on either brand. '

I think too much is being made of the Becky/Asuka stuff.  They needed high profile matches for the Royal Rumble. Becky was protected enough and the L obviously didn't stunt her popularity. Asuka needed a big win on a big stage.  You can't end every match in a DQ or fuck finish.  McGregor losing to Diaz didn't hurt his popularity, he came out of it even more popular. 

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

the plan was clearly Becky vs Ronda was a good idea. I think it hurts Becky more than it helped Asuka

Agreed. While I like Asuka going over, I wouldn't have minded a flash pin in that scenario, didn't have to be a DQ or even controversial. But tapping out clean right before you're supposed to be presented as the #1 threat to Ronda Rousey makes that a bit hard to buy IMO.

It would be so like the WWE to add Charlotte to this match. I mean God know's when they have a plan it is set in stone. I hope they realize they have another Daniel Bryan rolling into Wrestlemania 30 situation here and we just want to see Becky and Ronda. Do a rematch of Charlotte/Asuka. I mean, that would be pretty damn good on it's own.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

So she doesn’t want the women’s title either? Hell, she might as well just retire then if she has nothing to prove!

Honestly, you can’t see a scenario where Asuka calls Becky out for being a coward and running off to RAW and then declaring she’s really the best and then Charlotte comes out and says something like “Nuh uh I beat you at WM so you ain’t shit” and Asuka uses some twisted “I beat you and Becky at the same time AND I beat Becky who you couldn’t beat so stfu” logic that goads Charlotte into wanting another Mania match with her? 

Nothing to prove my ass. This is professional wrestling. We’ll be lucky if they even make it this logical and just don’t have Charlotte randomly win a fatal four way to be number one contender.

I don't think I ever said a match between the two can't make sense, just that your idea about it being based on Charlotte trying to prove something to Becky or Asuka wouldn't make sense. There are plenty of other ways to make it work.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, and he has a ton of fuck you money. 

Does he? Are six years on the main roster, where for the first year or two I would expect him not making a ton, enough for fuck you money? I suppose it depends how he plans to spend the rest of his life. If he has fuck you money, good for him.