DVDVR Message Board

PIKACHU, I CHOOSE YOU! - Raw - 1/28/2019

Dolfan in NYC

You'd think they learned SOMETHING by how many times they didn't pull the trigger on Roman beating Brock, but I doubt it. 

None of us should be surprised if WM ends and Brock and Ronda are both still champions. 

So wait.. are we 100% sure that Charlotte is out of the RAW Women's title picture? It should be that way and appeared to be that way but I don't know.  Let's be honest,  they removed Charlotte from the match with Ronda at the Rumble for a reason and the reason wasn't because they felt Sasha should have the match. They trusted Sasha to deliver but there was something there with Charlotte. Maybe they simply wanted to protect her AND Asuka so they are both strong going into a rematch?  

I think we'll know tomorrow. I'm far from certain, and I understand WHY they want Charlotte there, but that crowd tonight man... Why would you fuck with THAT?

Especially when we know Charlotte and Asuka would tear the house down.

They love to fuck with things though.  They don't usually buy into the idea of simple is better. I don't understand why they need or want Charlotte in there,  Becky is the one who is receiving superstar level reactions.  Charlotte is receiving good reactions for a top star in the company contained to the wrestling bubble. They've done enough forcing with Charlotte over the years,  I actually think if they shoehorn her in it will hurt her in the long run.  They will risk her becoming a Roman situation. 

Someone previously said it looks like Ambrose is taking the blame for that Ppv match sucking. Hopefully last night was the start of something w Triple H for him. Get him far away from Rollins and get him going. They don’t have enough viable stars to turn their noses up at a guy who’s been the hottest act in the company at least twice in the last five years....

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Someone previously said it looks like Ambrose is taking the blame for that Ppv match sucking. Hopefully last night was the start of something w Triple H for him. Get him far away from Rollins and get him going. They don’t have enough viable stars to turn their noses up at a guy who’s been the hottest act in the company at least twice in the last five years....

Rumor is he's planning to leave when his contract ends after Mania.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Even if it's only temporary ATM, it's nice to see talent having leverage for once. 

Indeed. If all this accomplishes long term is getting the WWE talent paid a significantly higher portion of revenues would be fucking great.

• Like 1

Ambrose is like the Rampage of WWE. Ambrose was super motivated during that run on SDL where he was the champ and feuding with Cena and AJ. Beyond that, if you don't give him what he wants or needs, he's just going through the motions. 

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ambrose is like the Rampage of WWE. Ambrose was super motivated during that run on SDL where he was the champ and feuding with Cena and AJ. Beyond that, if you don't give him what he wants or needs, he's just going through the motions. 

That run he had when he was trying to kill Seth Rollins every week was fantastic tv. If I were him, I’d want to know why i was diverted into a feud with bray Wyatt when I was as hot as I’d ever been. I’d want to know why I was pretty much hung out to dry with the Lesnar match after it was clear Lesnar was in full “stay healthy for ufc” mode and wanted to have his standard match. I’d want to know why I took the blame for the stone cold podcast. I’d want to know why I haven’t been given another shot at the top spot with Reigns out and with the company as bereft of over male acts as it is. I think he’s a guy that’s not motivated by money, but by feeling like he’s appreciated, and based on what we’ve seen, he’d be well within his rights not to feel that way. I also think the Reigns illness pretty much killed any desire he had left to make it work with WWE. It’ll be interesting to see if Renee follows when she can.

• Like 2

The opening segment with Rollins, HHH, & Ambrose was ok. The main event segment with Brock was ok as well I guess.

I enjoyed the EC qualifier tags. Was interesting to see Alexa trying to go back o the style she had trouble with in NXT as a face.

Bayley/Ronda was a bit sloppy, but still enjoyable overall. I'm disappointed we didn't get a proper ppv or Ronda heel turn. The faceoff with Becky afterward was good. All this really should have been the main event.

4 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I could also see Becky’s snub as a reason to have Charlotte go after Asuka. She’ll beat the woman that “The Man” couldn’t and prove that she’s actually the best.

But that might be too complex for these writers to grasp.

Charlotte already beat Asuka so she really has nothing to prove there. If they go the Charlotte/Asuka route it really should be about Asuka wanting to avenge her WM loss.

27 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

As someone already said, the series between the two is technically 1-1.

Yes, and Asuka's victory wasn't anything remotely conclusive enough for her to be satisfied since it was a dq. Charlotte has nothing to prove.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They love to fuck with things though.  They don't usually buy into the idea of simple is better. I don't understand why they need or want Charlotte in there,  Becky is the one who is receiving superstar level reactions.  Charlotte is receiving good reactions for a top star in the company contained to the wrestling bubble. They've done enough forcing with Charlotte over the years,  I actually think if they shoehorn her in it will hurt her in the long run.  They will risk her becoming a Roman situation. 

I completely understand that, but I also think that on one level Charlotte being there works because it means that fans will never get suspicious of Becky being "overpushed" if they have Charlotte to deflect any criticism and be paranoid about instead. Despite Becky being possibly the strongest booked person in the company for months (Ronda's lost no singles matches but has also had multiple segments of her getting beaten down by Nia/Bella Twins/Becky/Charlotte etc: while Becky usually stands tall even after losing), and getting what's basically SuperCena booking at this point (the Rumble, complete with her still winning easily enough despite already having had a match and a leg injury on top of that) many fans online are still genuinely fearful that Becky isn't really supported by the company, something she smartly plays into with all her rhetoric about not being "chosen", which makes them love and support Becky even more. While popular everywhere, there's a reason she gets her biggest reactions on post-PPV/Takeover shows in that unlike past faces of the company like Roman and Cena, its smarks who love her most.

Meanwhile, fans still stubbornly see Charlotte as 'female Roman' even though when you look back she hasn't really won anything consequential in a long time and has basically done a whole lot of putting others over for the last year. Becky beat her up as soon as she won at Summerslam (and the title run itself was basically a transitional one like Alexa's after MITB), she got beaten up after the DQ 'win' at Super ShowDown, and after Mania 34 she dropped the belt two nights later to Carmella.  But emotively, it doesn't feel like that's the case. Its a very interesting dynamic and I think WWE has exploited it very successfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Yes, and Asuka's victory wasn't anything remotely conclusive enough for her to be satisfied since it was a dq. Charlotte has nothing to prove.

So she doesn’t want the women’s title either? Hell, she might as well just retire then if she has nothing to prove!

Honestly, you can’t see a scenario where Asuka calls Becky out for being a coward and running off to RAW and then declaring she’s really the best and then Charlotte comes out and says something like “Nuh uh I beat you at WM so you ain’t shit” and Asuka uses some twisted “I beat you and Becky at the same time AND I beat Becky who you couldn’t beat so stfu” logic that goads Charlotte into wanting another Mania match with her? 

Nothing to prove my ass. This is professional wrestling. We’ll be lucky if they even make it this logical and just don’t have Charlotte randomly win a fatal four way to be number one contender.

• Like 1

The worse thing about Dean leaving is listening to the following on RAW for the next 4 months

Corey: "Hey Renee where is Dean"

Renee: "I don't have any knowledge"

Corey: "Hey Renee what is going on with Dean"

Renee:  "How dare you"

Corey: "Hey Renee do you have a status on Dean"

While Cole is corpsing wishing he cared more about real journalism.

• Sad 1