DVDVR Message Board

PIKACHU, I CHOOSE YOU! - Raw - 1/28/2019

Dolfan in NYC

31 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

They're not going to risk Nia getting hurt by the guys. It has nothing to do with The Rock. It's a matter of needing to be really careful with the overall optics. Folks are already uncomfortable with it.

Asuka needs to rip Becky a new asshole. I mean absolutely blister her. Talked all that smack about how Asuka was a paper champion, got tapped out while being choked practically upside down, and then ran off to Raw instead of trying to face Asuka again.

Asuka's clean tap out and win over Becky yesterday only makes sense if they are pushing Asuka in a similar sense to what you described. Does nothing for either otherwise. If they forget about it in 2 weeks, that's all you need to know about their plans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D.Z said:

10 mins of Brock vs Rollins. One F-5. 

Not sure what the main is. Maybe old guys tags or Charlotte vs Asuka.

You're not sure what the main is for what? WM? You think Charlotte vs Asuka would be the main event over Becky vs Ronda?

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're not sure what the main is for what? WM? You think Charlotte vs Asuka would be the main event over Becky vs Ronda?

I can't see Vince being happy with Becky in the main event.

BTW, regarding Becky and Asuka, sometimes you take your loss and you move on to the next thing. Austin lost to HHH in the 3 stages of hell match at No Way Out and then it was full speed ahead to WM. HHH wasn't hurt by that and Asuka isn't going to be hurt by this either*.

*We'll just have to see what happens tomorrow, but at the very least Asuka should address defeating Becky and being at the top of the mountain on SDL. If they don't do that, then ok, I guess this isn't great for Asuka.

• Like 1

Just now, D.Z said:

I can't see Vince being happy with Becky in the main event.

I can't tell if this is an act or not. Between this, the "bagley" stuff, and posting screenshots with no explanation, I'm not sure what to think.

• Like 1

Just now, Craig H said:

BTW, regarding Becky and Asuka, sometimes you take your loss and you move on to the next thing. Austin lost to HHH in the 3 stages of hell match at No Way Out and then it was full speed ahead to WM. HHH wasn't hurt by that and Asuka isn't going to be hurt by this either*.

*We'll just have to see what happens tomorrow, but at the very least Asuka should address defeating Becky and being at the top of the mountain on SDL. If they don't do that, then ok, I guess this isn't great for Asuka.

I could also see Becky’s snub as a reason to have Charlotte go after Asuka. She’ll beat the woman that “The Man” couldn’t and prove that she’s actually the best.

But that might be too complex for these writers to grasp.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, D.Z said:

10 mins of Brock vs Rollins. One F-5. 

Not sure what the main is. Maybe old guys tags or Charlotte vs Asuka.

He just did like 6 as a preview, might be aiming for 10+ by Mania especially if it's any way a typical Rollins match. The finish has to be somehow countering the 10th F5 mid-air into the Stomp after Brock earlier counters the Stomp into a catch F5 like the RKO at 31. Unless he just kimuras him in 8. 

I wish Charlotte/Asuka, thats the match I wanna see most now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I could also see Becky’s snub as a reason to have Charlotte go after Asuka. She’ll beat the woman that “The Man” couldn’t and prove that she’s actually the best.

But that might be too complex for these writers to grasp.

If the bit about having the newest writers do the creative for the women is true, then yes, that is far too complex.

But, that is a fucking solid idea.

• Like 1

Geez, what did Ambrose do to someone in the back? Maybe he’ll go over hhh at mania to get some steam going. 

Ita crazy to me how much better Bayley is when she’s involved in something worthwhile. When Sasha is mentally checked out, you see it in her face. With Bayley, you see it in her feet. She was moving really well and I thought more than held up her end. Good to see her going well again, as I have a soft spot for people who seem genuinely nice.

speaking of that, that might’ve been more offense than Ryder has gotten on Raw since the first Obama administration. Fun little sprint for those guys. 

Dana Brooke is capable of more. Idk what that is exactly, but she is. Alexa’s new heater? Give it a shot. I can’t figure out why Alexa and mickie were fed to Nia and Tamina. No one cares.

crowd seemed pretty into Seth. Bound to happen eventually. No amount of nasally yelling and spot spamming is going to have him at Brock’s level by ‘mania. They might as well keep the title on him.

Poor Finn.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Maybe this is Stockholm syndrome but I am now pro-Brock title reign. We are all dirt. Long live Lesner!

Better him than Rollins. I’d rather not have a champ on my tv than a whiny, charisma-free one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure where they are going with the Nia Jax thing, but maybe it's a  little evocative of Chyna? By 1999, Chyna was routinely having matches with the guys and mixing it up with the guys. Not saying they are going to do that again, but I think they are probably just wanting to get her over and make her look "badass" in a similar fashion. 

51 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Asuka's clean tap out and win over Becky yesterday only makes sense if they are pushing Asuka in a similar sense to what you described. Does nothing for either otherwise. If they forget about it in 2 weeks, that's all you need to know about their plans.

I will never get this. There is always the "pass out" from a submission hold. It is such an easy finish. Four (five if you count Natalya) of the featured women use submission moves as a finish. A stoppage or pass out, especially if the move is "upgraded" makes so much more sense. It doesn't have to be every time like with Scott Steiner's "Recliner", but on occasion it would help.

• Like 2

I thought this was a solid show (Though the tag division is still a mess...).  Then I watched this weeks ROH TV and was amazed at how much more was accomplished and set up in 1 vs 3 hours.  Plus Raw had the long not awaited return of Road Dogg while ROH had a bonefide zombie in its main event!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

crowd seemed pretty into Seth. Bound to happen eventually. No amount of nasally yelling and spot spamming is going to have him at Brock’s level by ‘mania. They might as well keep the title on him.

Hahahaha. The mental gymnastics you guys pull out when it comes to Rollins (or wrestlers you don’t like in general). Hilarious!

• Like 2

I don't mind Ronda doing promos but she almost needs Paul Heyman to do them for her.

Lesnar does need to go away. You would think after he and Roman Reigns took a shit in the ring (i.e. their match at last year's WrestleMania), Vince would be absolutely livid and not want a title on Lesnar much less Lesnar even there, but here we are. He and Reigns have crappy, barely memorable matches, yet he's pushed. He wrestles Braun Strowman SIX times in separate PPV's/matches and the matches are boring. Yet another WrestleMania with Lesnar holding a title he could care less about and main eventing WrestleMania. If the fans really wanted to voice their displeasure, they should stand up and turn their back on the match when Lesnar starts to win or wins.

But no, Lesnar will continue to get title reigns, barely wrestle and cause injuries in the ring, and collect his check.

Crowd was definitely more into Seth tonight than last night. But they weren't into the match with Ambrose at all. I think Dean is taking all the blame for that did flopping right now.

Hayley/Ronda was straight fire exit people except the part where they didn't figure out where Bayley's arm needed to be. But otherwise that was the best RAW match in a long damn time.

Then Becky came out and holy shit is she so much more over than everyone else it's scary. That was an absurdly great stretch. Even Ronda's rambling couldn't hurt it. They haven't had a main event this hot for Mania since XXX. 

I totally called Finn's giant killer thing being a set up for Lashley. Match could be really good if they get time.

So, the way they are building the Universal Title match is to have the underdog face cheap shot the monster heel champion, attack a body part he injured the night before, and then still get utterly destroyed? I get they have two months, but they basically just told us all that Rollins has no chance.

Ah yes, the team of Alicia Fox and Nikki Cross.

• Like 1

I think they would be dumb not to use the Rumble win and a title switch to Rollins one on one over Lesnar in sth that is at least billed as one of the headliners. Despite a regular push, they took ages finally putting Reigns over Lesnar, feeding everyone else with momentum quite unceremoniously to Brock in the process. They seem to have faith in Seth, the fans seem into him aswell. They should pull the trigger on the guy, if they ever want to make their roster look like they are worth the fans' money. 

Edit: And I want to stress that they should totally go with Rousey v Lynch as true main event. 

They're nuts if they don't go with Rollins at Mania. Even if just to transition to Drew by SummerSlam. They have to get Brock out of the title picture.

I mean, speaking for myself I'd rather Brock keep it over Seth, but it would be dumb and prove they've literally learned nothing.

• Like 1