DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Trying to separate out my opinion on Rollins, I think the problem is that, while he's definitely over, he's not OVER. The crowd likes him, they want him to win, but they don't need him to win.

The crowd would live or die with Hogan, Austin, even Hart and Michaels. Cena in their own way, though split on which they wanted. Bryan, obviously. Seth though... The crowd was happy he won, but it was the same kind of pop people get for winning midcard titles all the time. He doesn't matter to them the way a real top guy does.

Is that his fault or the booking? How long have we seen that the current full time roster is treated as being lesser than guys from bygone eras? Who is really treated as a big deal anymore? We've been beaten over the head with it, that the brand is bigger than any one wrestler. Nothing and nobody matters in the era of 50/50 booking.

• Like 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is that his fault or the booking? How long have we seen that the current full time roster is treated as being lesser than guys from bygone eras? Who is really treated as a big deal anymore? We've been beaten over the head with it, that the brand is bigger than any one wrestler. Nothing and nobody matters in the era of 50/50 booking.

Well, imo it's because he's a bad wrestler and an all time terrible promo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Trying to separate out my opinion on Rollins, I think the problem is that, while he's definitely over, he's not OVER. The crowd likes him, they want him to win, but they don't need him to win.

I don't know if this is a controversial statement.  Balor is more over than Seth now right? I mean it's pretty close. I don't want to run with this fantasy DEMON returns idea against Brock because while I love that idea it seems to be more internet fantasy then where WWE may be going, right?  Though,  I'm not sure if they've decided what to do with Bryan. 

It could be Bryan vs. Seth and DEMON vs. Brock but I haven't seen anything that points to Seth challenging a SDL guy.  It does beg the question. If the sheets are right and it's just Brock/Seth then who is facing Bryan?  My left field pick would be Mustafa Ali but I'd settle for Rey Mysterio too.  I would fucking hate Orton because as always fuck Orton but it's a possibility.  Ugh.  It's a possibility. 

Ok, I hardly watch anything so I'm not one who should complain BUT...it was driving me nuts listening to commentary that seemed like a second ahead of the action.  "And Daniel Bryan (2 count) retains".  "Out goes (and over the ropes) so and so".  

Fast forwarding thru the women's rumble and every time i hit play,  someone was botching something.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The AJ feud isn't over. Maybe we get Bryan/AJ with some type of no DQ, street fight stipulation.

That will happen but probably at Chamber or Fastlane.  If Bryan is recruiting former Wyatt members then maybe AJ will recruit some Bullet Club alumni. I just don't see it carrying into WrestleMania though.  

10 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I wonder if they do a trade of Rollins and .....someone for Lynch and Flair?

I think it'll be Bryan vs Cena

The Bellas in Bryan's corner as his brainwashed harem would be gold. Harper, Rowan, and the Bellas as the Bryan Family is just too fucking good. Instead of a swastika, Bryan will have the recycling symbol on his forehead.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can you believe that Sheamus won the Royal Rumble 7 years ago? He was pushed like crazy for a while but it's crazy to think about now because I don't look at him as a guy who was ever a top guy in the company.  I think maybe he was the first "Post-Cena guy" experiment but it never took off and they gave up pretty quickly. I think he's better in the midcard.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Can you believe that Sheamus won the Royal Rumble 7 years ago? He was pushed like crazy for a while but it's crazy to think about now because I don't look at him as a guy who was ever a top guy in the company.  I think maybe he was the first "Post-Cena guy" experiment but it never took off and they gave up pretty quickly. I think he's better in the midcard.  

Not having Jericho win that rumble was fucking stupid.

• Like 3

It’s probably not difficult to surmise my feelings on Rollins winning the rumble. I can’t tell you how excited I am for weeks of monotone, nasally, smarky promos and nonstop spot-spamming. Ratings will be through the roof. 

What I don’t get is the company’s willingness to cut so many other potential main eventers off at the knees trying to get Seth over. There were 10 guys in the Rumble tonight that would’ve made for a more compelling story than Rollins. They tried making him the guy some years back and it was an abject failure. I guess they refuse to learn lessons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

He won the WWE title like 9 fucking years ago. It's insane. The Bar is a perfect spot for him.

Sadly, it leaves Cesaro stuck there as well.

So real quick...The crowd not giving a huge reaction to Rollins means he's not over, but AJ vs Bryan got basically zero reaction, which means...?

Y'all can't have it both ways. You can irrationally hate Seth all you want, but he's an over act and one of the top faces on Raw. Maybe if WWE creative wouldn't go out of their way to kill the fuck out of anyone not named Brock (and no I'm not saying Brock and Roman) then someone would be special. For fucks sake, they made Finn into a bigger star than he has been at any point in a losing effort and then IMMEDIATELY KILLED HIM. If you're that crowd and that's the expectation then why the fuck would or should you give a shit who wins the men's Rumble? I couldn't fucking believe they had the balls to kill any heat Finn had within seconds. 

So yeah, I think Seth is perfectly fine challenging for the title. The only better alternative would be to go way out of left field and pick someone unexpected like Aleister Black. When Black came out I thought my dream was going to become a reality. It was a long shot so I'm not disappointed or anything, but it would have been cool. 

Another point to bring up regarding lack of heat, the show was entirely easy too fucking long. That place had a lot of people in there at 6pm for the preshow stuff, which meant they had all easily been there for what, at least 7 hours? That's cruel. 

By the way, everyone totally slept on Michael Cole saying that Shelton Benjamin was eliminated when it was Apollo who got eliminated. It was like our joke about Vince thinking every black guy is Shelton come to life. 

I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel about the Nia stuff. For one, I fucking can't stand her and I think she sucks. Despite those feelings, I don't want to see her get finisher spammed by the dudes. It was weird as fuck. 

I really liked AJ vs Bryan despite the complete lack of heat and the WTF finish. 

Becky was easily the star of the night and she's basically the star of the company. WM really needs to just be Becky vs Ronda and Charlotte vs Asuka. Don't do the triple threat. 

The women's rumble had really shitty wrestling, but a good story. The men's Rumble had better wrestling, but there was way too much overbooking and them trying to be cute. 

Fuck, I'm not sure what else to say. These shows are too fucking long. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Camera work was shit all night but at least they managed to not show Becky’s boob popping out

Did you see the camera man on the pre-show panic when Roode came dancing toward him, back up, catch the corner of the barricade and fall on his back, all while continuing to film, including his own feet?!

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So real quick...The crowd not giving a huge reaction to Rollins means he's not over, but AJ vs Bryan got basically zero reaction, which means...?

Y'all can't have it both ways. You can irrationally hate Seth all you want, but he's an over act and one of the top faces on Raw. Maybe if WWE creative wouldn't go out of their way to kill the fuck out of anyone not named Brock (and no I'm not saying Brock and Roman) then someone would be special. For fucks sake, they made Finn into a bigger star than he has been at any point in a losing effort and then IMMEDIATELY KILLED HIM. If you're that crowd and that's the expectation then why the fuck would or should you give a shit who wins the men's Rumble? I couldn't fucking believe they had the balls to kill any heat Finn had within seconds. 

So yeah, I think Seth is perfectly fine challenging for the title. The only better alternative would be to go way out of left field and pick someone unexpected like Aleister Black. When Black came out I thought my dream was going to become a reality. It was a long shot so I'm not disappointed or anything, but it would have been cool. 

Another point to bring up regarding lack of heat, the show was entirely easy too fucking long. That place had a lot of people in there at 6pm for the preshow stuff, which meant they had all easily been there for what, at least 7 hours? That's cruel. 

By the way, everyone totally slept on Michael Cole saying that Shelton Benjamin was eliminated when it was Apollo who got eliminated. It was like our joke about Vince thinking every black guy is Shelton come to life. 

I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel about the Nia stuff. For one, I fucking can't stand her and I think she sucks. Despite those feelings, I don't want to see her get finisher spammed by the dudes. It was weird as fuck. 

I really liked AJ vs Bryan despite the complete lack of heat and the WTF finish. 

Becky was easily the star of the night and she's basically the star of the company. WM really needs to just be Becky vs Ronda and Charlotte vs Asuka. Don't do the triple threat. 

The women's rumble had really shitty wrestling, but a good story. The men's Rumble had better wrestling, but there was way too much overbooking and them trying to be cute. 

Fuck, I'm not sure what else to say. These shows are too fucking long. 

Crowd was dead for Styles vs Bryan. No denial from me. That was the wrong type of match to put on after a 71 minute Rumble match. It was their worst match I’ve ever seen. Also I think this feud has been dead since their last rematch.  What was the point of booking it again here?  This feud is dead. I don’t want another Styles vs. Bryan match.