DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

Not that WWE ever plays by their own rules, but the precedent they've set here is that you can just beat the crap out of #30 and take their spot, so why don't guys just do that every year from now on?

• Like 2

They should run with that as a reverse Money In The Bank gimmick. That yes, it's an advantage in theory, but it's a massive target on their back. Can have guys like Braun who are unfuckwithable, and others who have it go the Crash Holly style run and hide, or even like R-Truth just completely unaware of what's about to happen.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Robert s said:

.... (with the most impressive one being the first one (Naomi's one)).

That's a good argument.  Naomi's was certainly more entertaining, where you had the whole time consuming, carefully crafted (ohholyshitdon'tfalloffthebarricade) avoidance, only for Mandy Rose to eliminate her off the entrance steps.  Ugh, I'm blanking on the American Ninja woman's name, but she landed on her back and should have been eliminated, but I was impressed with her re-entry.  By the time Kofi's first elimination save happened, I was only marginally into it, though I liked the way he rolled along the apron.  The sunset flip save with Xavier was too fucking contrived.

Then I thought back to that promo where Kofi seemed to come up with a plan to avoid elimination.  Was his plan that first avoid, or did he plan on Xavier entering at the number that he did, THEN that he would get eliminated on time for Kofi to get in position to save him?

I'm actually more impressed with how Ember Moon avoided getting eliminated one point, where she was holding on by her toes.

Commentary said that New Day were wearing tights commemorating all of Kofi's elimination evasions in Rumbles past, but fuck if I was ever able to see proof of that.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I see now why y'all hate twitter so much, you follow a bunch of dipshits.  No "sjws" were complaining about the intergender stuff.

Seriously. If your Twitter isn't essentially a timeline of one-liners, gifs, and back and forth between two people you follow, you're doing Twitter wrong.

56 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Since I don’t know how to read this, I’ll ask: How do you feel about the intergender stuff?

I'm fine with it as long as it's booked as competitive.  Equality is always the goal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

People need to remember the Orton hate is more of DVDVR/smark thing. The general audience has loved him for the most part.

Yeah I was going to say,  Orton is always over as fuck at every event I go to. I guess because he's from the Ruthless Aggression Era or something and he's one guy who has been treated as a big star for over a decade. 

I don't mind intergender wrestling when done well, but I also don't trust WWE to do it well.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was basically the Deadspin article in a nutshell.

This is how you can tell I'm good at Twitter, I can sum up an article of a couple of thousand words that I didn't read into a single sentence.

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What's the difference between Nia entertaining the men's Rumble and Brienne of Tarth battling dudes with swords? Where's the twitter backlash for that

Do you really need this explained?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

This is how you can tell I'm good at Twitter, I can sum up an article of a couple of thousand words that I didn't read into a single sentence.

Maybe you should go back to the D'Arcy Carden avatar

• Haha 1

To tell the truth, the people who are against the Nia Jax stuff is proof for why intergender can't work in WWE as a whole.

The big problem with intergender on the indies: Every indy intergender match can boil down to exactly one story:

"Plucky young babyface woman who's fighting for respect and girl power!" vs. "big mean brute man who doesn't respect this woman." 

They have a wrestle. The woman may win, or she may lose, but she wins this wrestler's respect.

Repeat tomorrow. And the next night. And the next night. And maybe she has to earn this wrestler's respect in a different promotion. And so on. And so forth. Even the positive places for intergender have problems (like Lucha Underground, which had Matt Striker's bad example of:

[Sexy Star on offense] "Sexy Star is striking a blow for gender equality and showing every woman has the power to be equal with the men!"

[Sexy Star on defense] "HOW COULD YOU? How could you hurt this innocent little flower? She's only a defenseless woman! She'd NEVER have a chance to fight back against you, you big mean brute man!"

This is the fatal flaw of intergender- if you do this, inevitably, every woman- no matter how despicable a heel they are- becomes a face, solely because they're a woman...and likewise, every man- no matter how noble a face they are- becomes a heel, solely because they're a man. 

Heck, this was seen in the Nia Jax match- Nia Jax is a despicable heel, who did a despicable heel thing, and this is what you need if you're going to make intergender work- you have to find ways to make a woman be the heel in the match,  without making it be "So...we need to cheer for the man beating up a woman because she did this?". Nia Jax's size also helps, as did Nia eliminating Ali, because it becomes "Uh...she's twice Mustafa Ali's size. She should DESTROY Mustafa Ali in a fair fight. If you're saying Ali or Rey Mysterio should be able to destroy Nia Jax, it boils down to your whole reason being 'because Ali or Rey have a penis and Nia Jax does not', and if that's the case, YOU'RE the real sexist here."

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nope, I've always felt wrestling is nothing more than another show on TV.  It's all fake, it's all entertainment. I realize not everyone is going to look at it that way but that's how I view it. 

In addition, I'd go further...

Saying there is a difference between Nia Jax in a wrestling match and Brienne of Tarth slaying dudes with swords is low-key kind of sexist too.

The biggest difference between Brienne of Tarth is "Lina Fanene is doing it herself, Gwendoline Christie has CGI, has camera tricks, and most importantly, has stunt doubles to do the dirty work"...stunt doubles who, presumably, are women that are really getting hit by stuntmen so that Christie does not. 

By saying there is a difference, you're basically saying "well, it's okay if a woman gets hit by a man, as long as the woman is anonymous."

I don't disagree with your points but I don't think I would take it that far with what's sexist and what isn't sexist,   there is a whole lot of terrible sexism bullshit on TV, on the news,  coming from the fucking White House of all places,  I think WWE is the softest of targets here..  

Intergender wrestling was a part of AAA the first time I was ever exposed to it, back in 2006.  Faby Apache used to hold her own pretty damn well in those mixed matches with her husband, with her dad.  Funny now, because I never recall anyone having any problems with that style of wrestling at the time.

And I think Chikara breaks that "plucky girl" vs. "asshole dude" dynamic.  Sara Del Ray, Daizee Haze, Heidi Lovelace, Kimberlee, and so on and so on, etc., were only ever treated as nothing less than equals.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Old Goat said:

This is a small thing, but Rhea Ripley's running leap into the ring was cool as hell

Everything she does is cool as hell. She's mastering all those little things

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'm curious as to whether whoever laid out the match had given set contingencies to those involved to call an audible if the crowd loudly shit on it.

Let's say Ziggler kicking her in the face is met with huge boos, do they still continue with the finish train?

I have my doubts.

2 hours ago, Swiftian said:

Not that WWE ever plays by their own rules, but the precedent they've set here is that you can just beat the crap out of #30 and take their spot, so why don't guys just do that every year from now on?

That precedent has been set. Didn’t Edge beat up Kofi and just take his spot in an elimination chamber match years back?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

That precedent has been set. Didn’t Edge beat up Kofi and just take his spot in an elimination chamber match years back?

Yes. And the next year Kofi was all paranoid looking behind him until he got in the pod.