DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

WWE being the last bastion of Inokiism isn't something I ever expected, but here we are

We need the shooters being booked against Ziggler and being given incentives to shoot break his jaw before we can truly call WWE Inokiist.

I thought Alexa and Bayley looked really strong, too. In fact, for a moment I thought Bayley might win and they’d run with a story of her avenging maybe her greatest career setback: she never beat Asuka. I’m still not convinced that shouldn’t be the smackdown women’s title match. But, if Bayley and Sasha win the tag titles, Charlotte beats Asuka, and Becky beats Ronda, you could end wrestlemania with your four horsewomen all with belts celebrating and Corey yelling about how great nXt is...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One thing I am sure was mentioned that I probably missed - but I hated the stuff with the Riott Squad just beating people up

At one point - I am fairly positive there were more people laying around on the floor not eliminated than those actually in the ring.

Enjoyed both Asuka/Becky and Sasha/Ronda. I knew as soon as Becky and Asuka were the first match that Becky was done and would be entered into the Rumble. And it was great seeing more of OG Sasha. This was as close to NXT/Team BAD Sasha as we were going to get. And I liked that she even threw a little shade at the end.

I thought the women's Rumble was good but, as someone mentioned, it just felt so long. I pretty much checked out once it was over. 

• Like 2

They have a long term opportunity right here they rarely have. Have Becky beat Ronda and stay on Raw and Charlotte beat Asuka and stay on SD. Have them never touch and build to SS for a title vs title match. It would be the biggest single thing they would have in years.

***Chance of actually happening-0.0%.

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already, but: 

People were talking about how they set up the Lana ankle injury earlier in the night to make the Becky angle work. But there was one other thing they set up in advance too.

Historically the rule in the Rumble has been that if you don't get into the ring before the person after you gets in the ring, you're eliminated.  For the whole Becky thing to work, they needed that to not be a rule any more.  So they did that thing with Billie Kay coming out at #7, standing around, getting clocked by Nikki Cross at #8, and then still being allowed to enter afterwards.  The reason they did that was to establish that the rules had changed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already, but: 

People were talking about how they set up the Lana ankle injury earlier in the night to make the Becky angle work. But there was one other thing they set up in advance too.

Historically the rule in the Rumble has been that if you don't get into the ring before the person after you gets in the ring, you're eliminated.  For the whole Becky thing to work, they needed that to not be a rule any more.  So they did that thing with Billie Kay coming out at #7, standing around, getting clocked by Nikki Cross at #8, and then still being allowed to enter afterwards.  The reason they did that was to establish that the rules had changed.

Again, part of why it's so good is because the detail they put into it all. Because they never put that level of detail into anything. Like the fact that it was Fit (with all the symbolic value therein) she had to convince and not Shane or Steph or what have you.

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Top off my head, that may be the longest Royal Rumble match with 30 participants beating 2002's edition.

Not counting the Greatest Royal Rumble - it is the longest Rumble ever (Using the times posted on Wiki)

2003 and 2011 both were 1 hour and 9 minutes (and change)

Wiki is saying the women's is 1 hour and 12 minutes

For perspective - the GRR was 1 hour and 17 minutes and that had 50 people in it

• Like 1

I was joking earlier, but Mania being Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins and The Beast vs. The Demon would be pretty much everyone's definition of a win-win.  (Especially if Bryan & Finn go over.)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Again, part of why it's so good is because the detail they put into it all. Because they never put that level of detail into anything. Like the fact that it was Fit (with all the symbolic value therein) she had to convince and not Shane or Steph or what have you.

I figured that it was Fit that Becky had to convince will play into Charlotte's response on Tuesday how the Irish woman appealed to her fellow countryman to gain entrance into the match. Also her appealing to the fans makes sense since the McMahons said the WWE Universe are the commissioners of RAW/SDL

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

For a group who claims to hate repeat feuds, a lot of you are advocating for Asuka/Charlotte II.

I think for a lot of folks Asuka/Charlotte II is a better option that Becky/Ronda becoming a three way 

I also think you know full well there is a difference in running a rematch a year later as to opposed to thinking of it in terms of Orton/Cena

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Historically the rule in the Rumble has been that if you don't get into the ring before the person after you gets in the ring, you're eliminated.

Has it? I know Roddy Piper said that one year when he was on commentary, but I think he was just making shit up. Pretty sure that rule hasn't been mentioned or adhered to since.

In this specific case - I would much prefer Asuka/Charlotte II to pretty much any (realistic) option they would have for Asuka at Mania

Yes they have two more PPVs to build someone but I don't see any great options (without flipping someone from RAW and even then eh...)

*realistic meaning the WWE would never book Asuka/Meiko Satomura at Mania because they are cowards

• Haha 3

Just now, RIPPA said:

In this specific case - I would much prefer Asuka/Charlotte II to pretty much any (realistic) option they would have for Asuka at Mania

Yes they have two more PPVs to build someone but I don't see any great options (without flipping someone from RAW and even then eh...)

*realistic meaning the WWE would never book Asuka/Meiko Satomura at Mania because they are cowards

There might be some value in a multi-person match to get Naomi/Carmella/Mandy in there, just because there is no no-brainer choice and it'd make the Raw match stand out more.

but I still think the best option for the Raw title is Braun vs Balor vs Rollins vs Brock.

Just now, tbarrie said:

Has it? I know Roddy Piper said that one year when he was on commentary, but I think he was just making shit up. Pretty sure that rule hasn't been mentioned or adhered to since.

Oh no - it definitely had been said several times over several years

Ironically - they couldn't even follow their own rule from one match to the other because someone in the men's match (Curt Hawkins I think????) was trying to stall and the ref was yelling at him that he had to get in the match or he would be eliminated

Just now, Matt D said:

but I still think the best option for the Raw title is Braun vs Balor vs Rollins vs Brock.

With those 4 - absolutely

Of course I kinda hate the very very frequent trend now where the Rumble winner ends up in a three way at Mania (but that has already been discussed)