DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

I'm a little disappointed the women's rumble had a pirate and a boat captain and they didn't fight. Is Alicia still a boat captain?

Couldn't they have just brought out Mike Rotundo in drag?

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is that his fault or the booking? How long have we seen that the current full time roster is treated as being lesser than guys from bygone eras? Who is really treated as a big deal anymore? We've been beaten over the head with it, that the brand is bigger than any one wrestler. Nothing and nobody matters in the era of 50/50 booking.

And this right here is the reason so many fans have just given up on WWE, and to me why it's only a women's promotion now.  They let the women be stars, but not the men.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caley said:

Around, July/August, sure he was.  But the loss to Ziggler, the Shield stuff, and the Ambrose feud seemed to really cool him off.  I think Finn's overtaken him over the last few weeks, and I think even Braun is back to getting bigger reactions than Seth again.

It's weird WWE is just like 3-4 months too late on stuff: Rollins was super over and should have gone over Lesnar last Fall after the Reigns news, but they waited an extra 7 months to pull the trigger (When he does, presumably, beat Lesnar); they put off the Becky win for too long then tried to turn her, then gave up and pulled the trigger a couple months later, cut it off, then went back to it; they took almost 2 years to go back to the Strowman push, only to drop it a week before RR. 

Maybe if they would stop killing the fuck out of people the crowd loves then things could improve. You may as well not even hold out hope for Finn. Goes from narrowly losing to basically being treated like a piece of shit seconds after losing. Everything Brock did to him post match completely invalidated any good they did for Finn.

Seriously, why the fuck does Brock need to get his heat back there? He won the match. Hell, he could have even said he respects Finn. But nope, suplex city bullshit and an F5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

And winning the Rumble should be a crowning moment for a top face. I'm not trying to say Bryan/AJ had heat, but it was just a match in a feud. Seth winning is supposed to be a major, important event. It was just a little pop and not much else. That's a bad start on the road to WrestleMania for a would be top babyface.

And, yes, he was fucking red hot in August.

The reaction he got was essentially, "we're happy, but we're expected this... and we're fucking tired."

Plus, you had the Nia shit in that match, people bought in to the craziness of Almas and Ziggler being the last 2 before being reminded that Braun and Seth were still in it, and that did the same shit to Braun and Seth where something big happened to each guy to take them out. They're in front of 40k people and they made it as hard as possible to get people to give a shit by the time that match was over. 

• Like 2

I hate to say this because I think AJ and Bryan are the top 2 in-ring performers in the U.S. since 2000 but the style of match they want to have on these shows doesn't work for where they are placed on the card. It's not entirely their fault,  I just don't know where you can place them outside of the first couple matches.  Lesnar always seems to get the crowd going because he's been so protected and his matches feel different.  I thought the crowd was burnt out but then Lesnar/Balor was on fire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think they post match hurt Bàlor at all. It was Brock saying "fuck you, you almost beat me" and reacting violently. It puts Finn over more.

Except that rarely works. It's called getting your heat back for a reason. So many others who have lost to Brock came out of it even worse just for losing. This was losing and then a big ass beatdown.

Unless the plan is to do the Demon vs Brock, Finn isn't getting any heat back. And what does he do from here anyway? Challenge for the IC title? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hate to say this because I think AJ and Bryan are the top 2 in-ring performers in the U.S. since 2000 but the style of match they want to have on these shows doesn't work for where they are placed on the card. It's not entirely their fault,  I just don't know where you can place them outside of the first couple matches.  Lesnar always seems to get the crowd going because he's been so protected and his matches feel different.  I thought the crowd was burnt out but then Lesnar/Balor was on fire. 

I think very highly of both guys and thought the match stunk up the place. Wrong match, wrong style, wrong placement, wrong finish. They needed it to be shorter and/or some type of gimmick to give it a little more juice. Otherwise, I wouldn't have booked this match again at all. Would've given Bryan a fresher opponent like Mustafa Ali.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Unless the plan is to do the Demon vs Brock, Finn isn't getting any heat back. And what does he do from here anyway? Challenge for the IC title? 

I think that's where the internet fantasy shit comes in.  If Brock beating the shit out of a game Finn Balor after a hard fought victory leads to THE DEMON then it's a great fucking story but I don't believe that's where this is headed..  It feels like there is something going on with Balor,   Vince was saying he's too small, not enough beef and Heyman was going extra on him so you feel like there's a redemption story building but who the hell knows.  

• Like 1

Best case it leads to Demon ve Beast

More likely to him conquering Lashley.

But I don't think the beatdown hurt him in any way. It signaled him out as having bothered Brock more than others did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

1. I had done the math in my head and with three guys left, I knew it was Truth, Orton, and someone else. I knew there was a chance someone might take Truth's place, but probably in a gimmicky way since they did that already with Becky, so not a big star surprise winner or anything. 

Then out came Dolph Ziggler.

The bleakest of all definitions of "Someone Else."

Personally, I think if you're going to do this and have that happen, they should have gone all out for the "piss everyone off with it." You're going to piss people off, do it better:

I could see it being beautiful. The countdown starts. 

The 0 is hit. 

You see the lights go down to nothing. A smallish man is near the dugout.

A light comes into play. You see a thatch of curly blond hair show up.

The first 20 seconds (or as much as you can legally play without having to pay royalties) of Kenny Omega's theme hits.

The entirety of Chase Field goes insane.

Then the record scratches. "I'M HERE TO SHOW THE WORLD...."

...if you're pissing people off, PISS THEM OFF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The show ruled.

I loved the little steps they took to get to the perfect ending for the woman’s Rumble. First they had Lana get hurt in the Rusev pre-show match. Then Becky loses against Asuka in a shock, but did so in a matter that made people just want her to win the Rumble more. The she edges Lana out of the way and enters and beats her two biggest rivals in the process, despite being put through a table. Just a perfect wrestling moment. And there is an easy way to write Charlotte into the WM match and make it a three way - Becky was an illegal entrant or some such. And Asuka is also once again a world beater. 

Sasha/Rousey ruled. That was exactly what I thought and hoped it would be.

Also: We remarked how Vega should do an Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez gimmick.

• Like 6

Also: That was a match Brock was losing on points. Finn had him dead to rights before Brock hit an uncounterable submission. He acted like a bully jock looking to inflict injury on a threat. Finn came out of that match looking like he could very well beat Brock - something that Cena, Taker , Roman and Bryan haven’t looked like they could do.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The women are carrying this company right now.  I'd say they might have had the top 3 matches on the card. 

I have Finn/Brock, Sasha/Ronda, and Becky/Asuka all pretty much on the same level. All three were fantastic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Trying to separate out my opinion on Rollins, I think the problem is that, while he's definitely over, he's not OVER. The crowd likes him, they want him to win, but they don't need him to win.

The crowd would live or die with Hogan, Austin, even Hart and Michaels. Cena in their own way, though split on which they wanted. Bryan, obviously. Seth though... The crowd was happy he won, but it was the same kind of pop people get for winning midcard titles all the time. He doesn't matter to them the way a real top guy does.

But that ties into the other part of "do they want a top guy", period: WWE has NO ONE like that right now. There's no one in WWE the crowd  NEEDS to win. (Heck, even with Becky Lynch, there's too much of it where Becky's stans NEED her to win, but quite frankly, EVERY woman's stans NEED their woman to win, and there's no real consensus even there...which ties into the "the women can be stars, the men can't": The women have so many people who'll go "YAAAASSS QUEEN SLAAAAAYYY!" to anything positive that they do that they'll seem like stars, even if they're basically booked like the men are.) 

49 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I don't think they want a top guy anymore.

Honestly, that ties to the bigger problem. If WWE doesn't want a top guy anymore, then they have to do it like the NFL does and go to an era of parity. You can't have "we don't want a top guy" and go with overpushing Brock Lesnar or Seth Rollins or Braun Strowman...or Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles...and hell, even Becky Lynch or Ronda Rousey or Charlotte Flair.

If you want no top guys, then there needs to be a feeling literally ANYONE can be the World Champion and main event Wrestlemania- and you'd have to follow through. Oh, Seth Rollins or Braun Strowman should win? Whatever- why can't Shelton Benjamin win the Rumble and finally get his shot at the top, or someone like Pete Dunne putting himself on the next level after a 600 day UK Title reign and have to go for the World Title...or shit, Curt Hawkins lost 250 matches, let's make his first win the big one and put him in the Wrestlemania main event. Same thing for the women- Oh, the fans think Becky Lynch has the momentum? Screw it- let's see how Alicia Fox can win the Rumble and suddenly have reason to be the champ, or see how Maria Kanellis winning the Rumble could make Mike Kanellis feel emasculated, or see how Billie Kay winning the Royal Rumble turns the IIconics against each other, or see how Xia Li winning the Royal Rumble can make her an instant superstar with Raw, Smackdown, or NXT all in a bidding war to get her and the Wrestlemania main event. 

All of those things wouldn't work- but part of "no top guy" is being willing to make it clear LITERALLY ANYONE ON THE ROSTER could be World Champion if they just got a couple of breaks to go their way.

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh, and Zelina Vega doing a Vega cosplay is amazing.

I just want to know what the Japanese announce table thought when she did her entrance, considering that character was "Balrog" in Japan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

But that ties into the other part of "do they want a top guy", period: WWE has NO ONE like that right now. There's no one in WWE the crowd  NEEDS to win. (Heck, even with Becky Lynch, there's too much of it where Becky's stans NEED her to win, but quite frankly, EVERY woman's stans NEED their woman to win, and there's no real consensus even there...which ties into the "the women can be stars, the men can't": The women have so many people who'll go "YAAAASSS QUEEN SLAAAAAYYY!" to anything positive that they do that they'll seem like stars, even if they're basically booked like the men are.) 

I just want to know what the Japanese announce table thought when she did her entrance, considering that character was "Balrog" in Japan.

I feel like this is getting overblown. Becky is more over than any of the other women by a pretty considerable margin. The moment everyone saw Lana limping, the whole building (except the one guy that was right by the microphone) started chanting for Becky. The place came fucking unglued when she won. That was a top guy reaction. Becky is probably third or fourth on my personal list of favorite main roster women, but she's so clearly ahead of Sasha and Bayley in terms of reaction that it doesn't matter if I like them more. She's The Man (pun both intended and not necessary) and she's treated as such by crowds.

----

I feel like I've read about the Balrog thing before, but I only vaguely remember it.

• Like 7