DVDVR Message Board

Critically Acclaimed Shows vs. Mainstream Success Shows

Ellsworth Toohey

I'm not sure what the point of this whole thread is.

Is the store that sells 1000 $10 purses a better business model than the one that sell one $10,000 purse?

Is the store that sells one $10,000 purse a better business model than the one selling 1000 $10 purses? 

We all know wrestling does good ratings but high end advertisers aren't interested in it.

People can make money off shows that have a smaller but wealthier viewership.

Big Bang Theory is a good show.  Far from great, but solidly into good.  Jim Parsons and Simon Helberg are both great on it.  The female case is pretty strong too.  I'll admit my crush on Melissa Rauch plays into my viewership.

I have very strange taste in television.  I love critically acclaimed things like Breaking Bad and Arrested Development but I also love lots of the stuff people look down on...BBT, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Jersey Shore, Pro Wrestling...

I fucking love (harharhar) Everybody Loves Raymond. I hate King of Queens because I find it too unrealistic and really not funny, but Raymond's great. The characters are far more relatable. Except Debra because no one is that much of a bitch.

Ironic that Whedon makes shows for major networks with higher ratings requirements instead of trying a cable network.I think a Whedon HBO show would expose him though.

In the case of the last two shows,

SHIELD is owned by Marvel, which is owned by Disney, which owns ABC.

Dollhouse was commissioned because Eliza Dushku had a deal with Fox.

The guy's had 15+ years of television. What the fuck more do you need to "expose" somebody?

"I would rather make a show that 100 people need to see than one that 1,000 people want to see." - Joss Whedon

That seems really snobby.  I need to breathe.  I don't need to watch TV.

I think what Whedon means there is that there are some things that attract cult/diehard followings, and in the long term, those type of things can be more fulfilling/profitable than something that has a higher viewership. 

As a compare & contrast, I will often stop on King of Queens if nothing else is on.   But I own Battlestar Galactaca DVDs. 

People don't go to CSI conventions. 

Ironic that Whedon makes shows for major networks with higher ratings requirements instead of trying a cable network.I think a Whedon HBO show would expose him though.

The guy's had 15+ years of television. What the fuck more do you need to "expose" somebody?

Maybe directing one of the most popular movies of all time. I guarantee you Avengers would have been a train wreck directed by anyone else. 

Are you off your fucking meds or something? Which one of those was on HBO? Or AMC? Or Showtime? Or any other cable network?

Put him on there, give the guy the same freedom they gave Shawn Ryan, Kurt Sutter etc, and see how it goes.

Maybe directing one of the most popular movies of all time. I guarantee you Avengers would have been a train wreck directed by anyone else. 

Define train wreck in this scenario.

Why is FSW acting like my own personal idea of heaven would somehow not work out?

Whedon, to me, comes across as a dude who can't keep the train on the tracks. The peaks and valleys in Buffy were pretty extreme. Angel was crap. Firefly was good. Dollhouse was guff. I feel like unrestrained, untouched Whedon, with all the freedom of cable would basically show everyone that he's not as good as everyone thinks. Moreover, that he's not as good as he thinks.

There are other people who could have directed The Avengers as well, or even better (although I don't know if anyone else would have hit that beautiful long take shot going through the whole battle that I loved) but I'm not sure there is anyone else alive who could have done as good a job writing the movie.

Why is FSW acting like my own personal idea of heaven would somehow not work out?

Whedon, to me, comes across as a dude who can't keep the train on the tracks. The peaks and valleys in Buffy were pretty extreme. Angel was crap. Firefly was good. Dollhouse was guff. I feel like unrestrained, untouched Whedon, with all the freedom of cable would basically show everyone that he's not as good as everyone thinks. Moreover, that he's not as good as he thinks.

I guess the difference here is that BTVS is my favorite show ever, Angel is third, Firefly makes my top 15 (and would be so much higher if it had gotten a few seasons) and Dollhouse probably cracks my top 50 (seriously, the last 6 or 7 episodes are just balls out awesome television by a crew that flat out knew they weren't getting a season 3, and just threw everything out they could, and turned what had been an "okay" show into something mesmerizing.)

Also, I think he was less restrained than you think, at least on Buffy and Angel, as him threatening to pack his office immediately led to the WB caving to him on letting a lesbian kiss on the air.  Most accounts are that he did get his vision pretty much perfectly intact on those two shows, outside the first season or so of Buffy.  Firefly and Dollhouse are a different story, and I'm sure AoS is being micromanaged to a serious degree (and he doesn't have nearly the same level of day to day involvement, anyway.)

There are other people who could have directed The Avengers as well, or even better (although I don't know if anyone else would have hit that beautiful long take shot going through the whole battle that I loved) but I'm not sure there is anyone else alive who could have done as good a job writing the movie.

This is pretty much how I feel. Some of this is preference, but I can't imagine the type of director who could have fucked up The Avengers with a good script. And I am sure someone probably could come up with a list. However, what would have been the odds that they even went with someone not like Joss Weldon? That person probably wouldn't have the resume, but at least had appropriate knowledge of the subject.