DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Craig H

Magic: the Gathering

I love Ferocidon being unbanned now because honestly, why not? It's got a month or so of life left until rotation, let it out to play one last time.

And fuck Hogaak and Faithless Looting. Hogaak should have been banned months ago and while it's frustrating that WotC was literally the only source I saw say that Hogaak didn't need to be banned, I'm glad it's banned now. 

I'm also very happy I held onto my set of Stoneforge Mystics. Those should shoot up in price now.

Ok ok ok ok ok...

Am I alone in thinking these new storybook cards look like fucking trash? They're ugly as hell.

They are definitely uhhhh different.

This is why Wizards are doing all the different booster packs now though. People who want function get the draft packs, people who want the flash can pony up for the collector's packs.

They also announced the sets for next year yesterday, which will be Theros Q1, Kioria Q2, Core Set Q3, and Zendikar Q4. Maro kept making it sound like a return to Theros would happen sooner rather than later, but Zendikar is a surprise. I wonder if they'll wind up doing a print run of fetch lands. Hell, do the allied fetch lands in Core Set 2021 and do the enemy fetch lands in Zendikar.

Oh, and please don't print any more stupid ass Eldrazi cards. 

Special event in Arena going on right now, you can play with Eldraine cards that have been previewed in precon brawl decks. The fairy deck is my favorite one.

The storybook cards are... interesting looking. Lots of value, since you can cast the spell side and then cast the creature later on.

I'm still not sold on food tokens, though. What an odd concept.

I already finished up the Eldraine brawl event. I played the UWB deck. That one seems to be the best. It just overwhelms your opponent and even if they get a board wipe, you can quickly recover and rebuild. Plus the UWB deck has multiple removal spells and two Wrath-like cards.

There were very exciting announcements for Arena yesterday. Things in the works are 4 player mode, cube drafting, drafting against humans, Commander, etc. They're only in the works at this moment so it's not part of their roadmap, but hopefully it makes it's way to Arena next year.

I found the announcement of the event letting everybody play with every card in standard to be pretty exciting. Let everybody brew new decks, at least for a short period of time. Then there'll be a one entry only league on October 6th where you can play any deck in standard. 12 wins gets you a copy of every card in standard but you're out after 2 losses.

If you can get 12 wins in that event, more power to you. Really high bar to set.

I've been doing M20 drafts mainly the past few weeks. I'm really looking forward to how Eldraine effects standard and I'm really looking forward to drafting the set!

Throne of Eldraine is live on Arena, as is the "play any deck in standard" queue. Last night, I got some games in with Esper Dance, Golgari, and Simic Food. The Dance deck in particular was a lot of fun to play, using wrath effects and Doom Foretold to control the board then fire off a big Dance of The Manse to reanimate a bunch of artifacts and enchantments from your graveyard, drawing cards off your eggs and globes and making them all 4/4 creatures. Good stuff.

Questing Beast is dumb as hell.

Questing Beast is very good.

Here's my very early take on the format post-Eldraine: Too many people are trying to make Questing Beast, among other cards, work and I just wind up steamrolling them with my revamped Cavalcade deck. People just try to pump out the beast as fast as possible or playing that goose card and try to gain life  with food cards and golden eggs. And I'm just like, well, I can't block your dude, but I'm about to swing with my Chandra's Spitfire for 16 damage sooooooo...GG? Or if it's not that, then I just go wide with a bunch of 1/1s and crank out damage from Cavalcade of Calamity.

Cards that I've said are "messed up Magic cards" while playing on ladder the past few days: Fires of Invention, Rankle, Murderous Rider, Questing Beast, Oko, Wicked Wolf, Fae of Wishes, The Great Henge.

This set is gas and I love it.

I really love playing Esper Stax or Esper Doom.

You want to see something really fun? Make sure you're playing a deck with Legions End in it and when you play a Cat in the Oven deck, cast it on the cat and watch them immediately concede.

Honestly, that might be my favorite deck to play at the moment. Nobody expects Doom Foretold. They also expect their food tokens or wolf tokens to save their good cards. Yeah, nah. You can sac that Garruk and keep your two wolves.

• Like 1