DVDVR Message Board

Magic: the Gathering

Craig H

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I haven't played Standard since Throne of Eldraine came out, so I don't have an opinion on whether Once Upon a Time is overpowered. But the reason WotC gave for banning it sounds ridiculous to me. It "provides a level of early mana fixing that other colours don't have access to"? Isn't that like banning Shock because it provides a level of early direct damage that other colours don't have access to? Mana fixing is supposed to be a Green thing, isn't it?

Well, one, you could throw it into any deck because you can cast it for free whether if you're on the play or the draw and two, you can play it for free during your opponent's turn or play it for free on your turn and so it's just a ridiculous cost reduction and mana fixing mechanic. Plus, the other cards don't even get discarded, they just go to the bottom of your deck. Shock you have to pay for. Much like Oko, it's a card with zero drawbacks and it unfairly tilts advantage towards the person playing Once Upon a Time.

• Like 1

Again, I wasn't claiming the card wasn't ban-worthy, I was just criticizing the reason WotC gave. But since I like arguing...

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, one, you could throw it into any deck because you can cast it for free

I did think of the fact that you could theoretically even play it in a non-green deck, but has anybody actually done so successfully? I would think it being a dead card if you drew it late (with "late" in this case being "turn 2 or later") would be too much of a drawback.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Plus, the other cards don't even get discarded, they just go to the bottom of your deck.

Surely the card would be a lot stronger, not weaker, if it filled your graveyard as well as giving you card selection?

• 4 weeks later...

I like how they do their whole State of Arena for December, the last update in the article is about deck sorting, and they end it by saying that there's a few other changes for Arena, but nothing major and the announcement of deck sorting would be the thing most people care about.

Meanwhile, HEY Y'ALL, HERE'S YOUR FIRST LOOK AT TBD OH AND IT INCLUDES P9. 

I love how they talk about how hard it is to code cards into Arena and then casually include precons with the holiest of holy Magic cards in them.

Fuck them anyways though for this Brawl mode bullshit. 10k gold/2k gems to play a fucking game mode?! And it's only until mid-January?! Fuck off. People in various places already did the math that you can get the included Rhys the Redeemer for less than the 10k gold to play Brawl and there's a couple Brawl matching services out there to pair you up with someone else who wants to play a Brawl deck. I swear, this company shoots themselves in the foot and backtracks on more bullshit than any other company I can think of. For once it would be nice to think "hey, will this update really piss off a large portion of the user base because it's greedy and/or unfair?" and if the answer is YES then they shelve it and don't do it.

I think I bought some singles from Theros that would have been good for group games, but I don't think I ever drafted it or bought any actual packs.

Judging from the spoilers so far, it looks like THD is going to be an "enchantments matter" set since most stuff I've seen have been enchantment creatures, auras for those creatures, and the new baller green creature that's a super powered Verduran Enchantress. Dude gets a +1/+1 counter whenever an enchantment you control comes into play AND you draw a card? Fucking AWESOME. 

• Like 1

Maybe we'll get vintage cube on Arena at some point? Who knows at this point?

Theros Beyond Death is probably going to be awesome. Daxos, Blessed by the Sun is one of the new cards in the preview event that I really liked. The escape mechanic is a nice play on flashback. The enchantment themes and devotion are coming back, which are fun to play with.

I've been playing Kanister's MC-winning Jund Sacrifice build on ladder and it's really solid against the field. As much as I loathe putting tournament-worthy cards in tough to acquire circumstances (see also Nexus of Fate, Kenrith the Returned King), Korvold, Fae-Cursed King is extremely good and worth purchasing his brawl deck.

Also, Arena now has friends lists. FireThunder1926#64439

Yeah, I'll have to pull my name later. It's CubbieBlueCM and then a bunch of numbers. 

I keep thinking about building that Jund Sacrifice deck. I wouldn't need to craft many cards for it. I'm basically just crafting Kenrith and a few others. I also HATE playing against that deck and other sacrifice decks. At the same time, I'm getting kind of tired of always playing Stax and Cavalcade Red.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been bugging me since they previewed the new Thassa, but even more since they posted an article talking about how much effort went into keeping the word count down in Beyond Death: why did they bother putting the word "another" in Thassa's activated ability? Is there some broken combo I'm missing if she could tap herself for four mana? Do they think newbies wouldn't realize she could tap other creatures if it said "tap target creature"? What?

Edited by tbarrie

On 1/13/2020 at 1:19 PM, tbarrie said:

This has been bugging me since they previewed the new Thassa, but even more since they posted an article talking about how much effort went into keeping the word count down in Beyond Death: why did they bother putting the word "another" in Thassa's activated ability? Is there some broken combo I'm missing if she could tap herself for four mana? Do they think newbies wouldn't realize she could tap other creatures if it said "tap target creature"? What?

I would assume it's to prevent people from having a 6/5 indestructible creature with pseudo vigilance. Being able to attack and then blink her out end of turn would be pretty sweet...

46 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I would assume it's to prevent people from having a 6/5 indestructible creature with pseudo vigilance. Being able to attack and then blink her out end of turn would be pretty sweet...

Her activated ability, not her triggered ability. The one that taps creatures. They apparently thought it was important that she not be able to tap herself.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The art for Fezzik is absolutely bizarre. It looks like a meme. 

I've also never bought a Secret Lair set, but that's because they're overpriced as all hell and I just stick to Magic Arena.