DVDVR Message Board

Magic: the Gathering

Craig H

Turn 1 - Forest, Llanowar Elves.
Turn 2 - Swamp, Leyline Prowler 
Turn 3 - Swamp, World Shaper, Llanowar Elves 
Turn 4 - Swamp, Kaya's Ghostform on World Shaper, Kaya's Ghostform on Leyline Prowler, Play God-Eternal Bontu. Sac 4 lands, World Shaper + Leyline Prowler. Draw 6 cards, get everything back.

Im sure there are way better uses for this card (My Zombie EDH and Mazirek sacrifice EDH decks are drooling) but God-Eternal Bontu seems pretty good...

godeternalbontu.jpgImage result for world shaper mtg

Oh man you could play the new Vivien on Turn 2 over the Prowler, hold up removal then flash in World Shaper (and Bontu) so that you can go swinging away...

This set is fantastic!

Edited by L_W_P

This set is going to be a complete trainwreck and I am here for it.

I kind of wish I had context for the 15+ years I didn't play so I understood when MtG design became a crazy race to make 2-3 cost cards that should cost 4-6. It's actually kind of an interesting solution that a lot of game designers seem to land on; if everything is broken, nothing is broken. Seems to be working? 

Nicol Bolas is just asking to be shit on by a Boros Weenie deck. Conclave Tribunal still owning fools. "Opponent gets to choose what they exile" = token. On the other hand it looks like a really, really big problem for my Ravnican Gates deck unless I get that Rhythm of the Wild out first.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

This set is going to be a complete trainwreck and I am here for it.

I kind of wish I had context for the 15+ years I didn't play so I understood when MtG design became a crazy race to make 2-3 cost cards that should cost 4-6. It's actually kind of an interesting solution that a lot of game designers seem to land on; if everything is broken, nothing is broken. Seems to be working? 

How else do you keep making money set after set if you don't break the shit out of everything and make the old sets obsolete every time?

• Like 1

FWIW, I think this set may be one of the best and at the same time one of the worst they've made. From a flavor and story perspective, I don't think it's been any better than this. Same can be said of the artwork. I love almost all of non-PW cards because they look like fun shit to play in Commander or in our group games. Just to add some background info, 4 to 6 of us will play group games with 100 to 200 card decks. We just like to throw in as much fun and goofy shit as possible and there's a lot of it in this set.

As for competitive, it's pretty clear that Grixis and Esper control will both be huge. Mono red will still be strong, but Esper gains a strong win con for Teferi decks where you can deck yourself and win the game now and Grixis has the very obvious Nicol Bolas/Elderspell win con.

At the same time, some of the power level for these cards is insane. It's not Tarmogoyf insane and it's not even Urza's block insane, but it's still pretty strong. In addition, you have all of these PWs now that are basically super enchantments and standard and modern are now even more flooded with PWs. This comes after people at WotC admitted that there are too many PWs.

So I don't know. This is all very cool and very frustrating and I'll probably wind up buying a couple boxes because I'm a stupid mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't really think of where I'd use it. Like, Ravnican Gates already has Hydroid Krasis for big draw, and I have found Krasis is way more dangerous with Reliquary Tower for the no hand limit size. In fact I'd say the basic version of it being listed on MTG Goldfish is significantly more dangerous with 2 Reliquary Towers over a couple of the basic land because it also frees you up to play multiple Guild Summits without worrying about discarding. 

I am just having a hard time thinking of a deck actually designed to get 12 land in play regularly, which runs blue (but not green for Circuitous Route to actually get to 12 land, not Hydroid Krasis, and not Reliquary Tower), where it gets played.

I am sure, given my extensive history of wrongness, it will instantly find some way to become ludicrous. But my initial reaction is that it will be this set's Mass Manipulation: It looks cool and no one plays it.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=457186&type=card

This set has the best flavor of all time. The way they were to bring out the story with all of these cards is nothing short of remarkable. They did a very impressive job. This card in particular just makes me hear the YUB NUB song from Return of the Jedi:

Spoiler

uw5p7d9iq4t21.png

Edited by Craig H

2 hours ago, FireThunder said:

I'd agree. If I played in paper, I'd want this on a playmat as soon as possible.

Someone on Reddit previewed the playmat for that.

Any cool decks y'all are trying out? My friend finally got out of gold playing the Boros Feather Heroic deck. Dreadhorde Arcanist and Feather are pretty damn good, but the two of them together is just gross.

I built this but it feels like it's missing... something. Revitalize is sort of a placeholder for more removal spells. Maybe a copy of the white Finale or Commence the Endgame as another win con?

oFGFFKu.jpg

I think it's going to be a very aggro set. I was watching Day9 stream last night and we was running a Selesnya Tokens deck using the new Ajani planeswalker on top of your traditional stuff like March of the Multitudes, Venerated Loxodon etc. and it's incredibly nasty. Tokens can ramp up in power so hard that it's pretty wild. Obviously the big counter is going to be board clears. But if you don't have those good luck.

ajani-the-greathearted-30030-medium.jpg

Boros is also very strong, and the only real problem is deciding which good cards to cut. I'm probably going to be playing a LOT of red/white in this set until the meta settles out because it's reliably dangerous.

But at the same time control decks have also somehow got even dumber. It really is a time where it's more of everything. I feel like the Ravnican Gates deck I ran through almost all of last set is kind of dead in the water right now. It's too slow to handle the range of aggro stuff, and too reliant on single big nukes to handle all the control options. It's still unbeatable when it comes off but I feel like it's losing too much without a reformat.

Checking Twitter and SCG Richmond today, Teferi, Time Raveler is seeing a lot of play. Main deck in Esper Control, Hero of Precinct One decks, Bant midrange, Azorius Superfriends (and Pblthp!)... even getting splashed into mono-white aggro to shut off instants for your opponent and to reuse History of Benalia.