DVDVR Message Board

Raw is David vs Goliath - 1/21/2019

Dolfan in NYC

The problem with building up Finn Balor as having "no shot" against Brock is that when he loses, everyone just gets proven right.  

And Jesus, I think they mean to turn Alexa, which might be more dumb than building Finn as a little boy in a man's world. 

Sasha on the other hand is the same storyline as Finn, but building her as  just smarter about everything wrestling-wise than the Mack truck that is Ronda is so much better.  I actually believe she has a shot (while I know she doesn't).  Christ, this isn't hard. 

Curt Hawkins is the greatest referee ever.  His first match and he was better than 100% of the other refs.  He should be teaching classes.

It's funny after everyone's annual "the NFL refs fucking suck" that RAW would feature a ref actually doing what he was supposed to and then have Graves and Young complain about how "unfair he was?"  The FUCK?

• Like 5

I like what they are doing with Finn IF he was actually going to win but..    Sasha is getting a nice rebuild too.  This is what we wanted to see from her.  She was being completely dismissive of Ronda during the entrance while Ronda was fuming,  painting the picture that Sasha is in her head.  The little cheap shots on Ronda and all the other heeling that she was doing was cool,  they really should just turn her by now.  I think Sasha vs. Ronda looks like they will work snug on Sunday.  

Man I like Heavy Machinery on the main roster too,  they will be a solid midcard act.  Otis is already getting over.  

Overall a good show.  The Royal Rumble card is great on paper.  Oh,  the fucking Major Bros. or "Edgeheads" if you will are back too! That was cool.  

Hawkins is the best ref since Tommy Young.  

I'm only about halfway through, but I thought there would be more upset at Seth Rollins invoking MLK as inspiring him because he's lost his "brothers" in WWE.  I didn't think it was offensive or anything, but it was really weird.

Vince, apparently, LOVES MLK.  In one of his books, Jericho mentions such and how, when he was a heel, Vince wanted Jericho to introduce Al Sharpton and detail his list of accomplishments and Jericho said it made no sense because he was a a heel and he should badmouth Sharpton, only for a face to come out and beat him down and help Sharpton and Vince would have no part of it because he loved Martin Luther King so much, he insisted that Jericho come out and praise and introduce Sharpton after months of Jericho disrespecting and badmouthing everyone.  So, my guess is Vince viewed Rollins invoking MLK as a big deal for him and a prime spotlight moment, also a possible look into whom Vince really favours amongs the current crop of wrestlers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hawkins is the best ref since Tommy Young.  

Oh please, Tommy Young was so terrible, when I was a kid and if you told me he was a secret member of the Horsemen, I would have believed you.  I realize it was Dusty booking, but man, any idiotic decision where the face was caught jaywalking while the heel got away with bloody murder, Tommy Young was always there to null and void it all.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Oh please, Tommy Young was so terrible, when I was a kid and if you told me he was a secret member of the Horsemen, I would have believed you.  I realize it was Dusty booking, but man, any idiotic decision where the face was caught jaywalking while the heel got away with bloody murder, Tommy Young was always there to null and void it all.  

You can't just be throwing your opponents over the top rope like that.  You have to be smarter than that especially when a fair and impartial Tommy Young is present. ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You can't just be throwing your opponents over the top rope like that.  You have to be smarter than that especially when a fair and impartial Tommy Young is present. ?

Exactly.  Sitting there on the concrete pretending he's hurt but staring deadeye at good guys Rhodes and the Warriors waiting for them to fuck up.  He's literally Bizarro Curt Hawkins.  

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The problem with building up Finn Balor as having "no shot" against Brock is that when he loses, everyone just gets proven right.  

And Jesus, I think they mean to turn Alexa, which might be more dumb than building Finn as a little boy in a man's world. 

Sasha on the other hand is the same storyline as Finn, but building her as  just smarter about everything wrestling-wise than the Mack truck that is Ronda is so much better.  I actually believe she has a shot (while I know she doesn't).  Christ, this isn't hard. 

It is for WWE.

• Like 1

I said it last week, I'll say it again this week... I really believe Balor is winning the title at the Rumble.

It makes no sense to belittle your potential future star's chances and then ruin him by having him then fail miserably. Vince liked him enough at one point to give him the top title so he's presumably a fan.

• Like 2

I'm so proud that Cream Cheese has made it to the big time, I was rooting for him ever since Breaking Ground and am really happy they stuck with him. The wife brought up an interesting point we were talking about during that match, "Does ZZ still work for the company?"

Add me to the people applauding Hawkins' referee job. He was great tonight, minus not counting when they were out of the ring. However, the real refs were awful tonight, specifically for the Balor and Lashley matches, they missed several times when a DQ would have been in order.

And oh my goodness, whomever decided to give Ronda that much dialogue needs to be fired. You could tell she was just struggling to remember her lines, it was awkward to watch.

5 minutes ago, nofuture said:

If anything, I can see them doing an Eddie/Brock deal with Braun playing the part of Goldberg.

I dunno. I'm getting the feeling they're setting up a  Triple Threat match at Wrestlemania.

The Beast vs. The Monster vs. The Demon.

11 minutes ago, nofuture said:

If anything, I can see them doing an Eddie/Brock deal with Braun playing the part of Goldberg.

IF they went that route then it would setup Brock vs. Braun at WM in some sort of gimmick match maybe. But who would face Balor..  would it be Seth Rollins or would they have McIntyre win the Rumble and push him to the moon.  

Legitimately happy for Hawkins & Ryder. I always have sympathy for the overlooked. If Ambrose cared all the time like he does when he promos he’d be unstoppable. Dug “moment of bliss.” Balor just does nothing for me. I get why people like him, more than I get Rollins, but it’s not for me. Sasha’s not winning at the Rumble, unless it’s horsewomen shenanigans, but she looked like a star tonight. She and Bayley both have knocked off the “booboo face” and raised their performance level. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

That Lashley/Rush posing homage to Luger/Heenan only to turn into a homage to the Steiner/HHH posedown challenge with Apollo was one of those “I sure hope no one I know walks into the room right now” moments in wrestling.

I was getting more of a Warrior/Rude super posedown vibe. Lashley should have had a workout bar like Rude did.

• Like 1

Enjoyed Braun/Finn. Thought Finn taking on both Braun and Brock at one point was great. Have to agree though that the Finn has no shot story really only works if Finn actually wins or Brock takes the cheap way out with a dq.

That weird pose off segment actually getting Apollo over was a nice surprise.

Hawkins showing himself to be one of the best refs in WWE ever is amazing, and made the already nice Revival vs. Gable/Roode match all the more enjoyable. Loved the post match with Ryder coming for the save.

Loved all the build they did to Sasha/Rosuey. The promos right before the tag match were good, and gave back so much of what people love about Sasha. Tag match was good fun as well.