DVDVR Message Board

W.O.W. - Women of Wrestling (New Incarnation)

I love the character building vignettes throughout the show and how they've mixed in some of the WOW Originals with the new stars. Lots of variety on the roster already. The Jessie Jones/Selina Majors angle was great. Always liked Jessie during her time in SHINE, fun match with Azteca here. Main event was short but Tessa is always good and Lana Star was hilarious on commentary. Really digging their buildup of Tessa/Santana as a big time showdown so far.

I'll be damned, they did do a rebroadcast so I got to rewatch and take notes... This is far better than it has any right to be, I've always been down with Friday night fights even when it involved some pretty lackluster Muay Thai bouts. Here's a takeaway, if you're flying guys in from Bangkok with a 454-419 record just so Smokin' Joe has someone to beat up this week and Joe plugs the fight based on his opponent's tremendous level of experience "He's had over six hundred more fights than I have, I'm still learning..." When clearly what he meant to say was: "This is some punch-drunk mofo that they let sleep in the gym in exchange for mopping the place up and changing the rat-traps. I can't understand why Muay Thai isn't taken more seriously in the USA."

Anyway, LFA is just fine for what it is, a serious feeder league for UFC and NJPW is the best federation in the world and without a ridiculous amount of time to fill, they can just show good stuff and keep the boring crap off of my tv.

Tessa Blanchard and the ring announcer should both be on my TV constantly. Wait, the announcer is Shaul? How did I not catch that? She's literally a better ring announcer than anyone WWE has had in the role since they forced the Fink out.

I didn't know Amber Gallows was in this! 

Last week we got a great moonsault, this week a great frog splash. 

God the commentary sucks though.

Another very good episode of WOW this week. Beast/Lioness was a great squash. Lioness' entrance was thee best and Beast has looked awesome, reminds me a lot of early Jazz. I love the Psycho Sisters already, amazing look. Chantilly stood out as unique as well and this was a pretty good match. Fire/Disciplinarian was also good stuff. Really dug the presentation of the killer Tessa promo outside, she was fantastic there. Main event was a fun little rivalry match, I think Abilene Maverick/barbi is great and a total star. Looking forward to Holidead joining the mix next week, she's always a highlight. I love the variety all throughout the roster.

What I caught of this coming home right after work was the absolutely hilarious and totally goofy flashback update involving limos, ice cream, pie, dancing hillbillies, bodybuilders, and strippers who are apparently wrestlers. And then the strippers had a match, which wasn't half bad. It's right on the line of sleaze and complete innocence (including shots of young girls reacting in the audience) which I guess is where David McLane's mind sits. 

What a weird Friday night: WOW, New Japan, LFA, and fucking Impact too. I've been flipping between all of these trying to multi-task and STILL caught the most entertaining thing all night, This Is Not Happening on Comedy Central having an episode where the topic is Drugs. WOW, literally...

• Haha 1

Chantilly is actually Ray Lyn aka Rachel Bostic (Dylan Bostic's wife).  She is a friend of mine and is actually in Japan now until April. She worked some recent TNA tapings against Tessa and Taya as well as some WOH matches. Really glad to see her get noticed as she is one of the nicest, hardest working people you will ever meet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Chantilly is actually Ray Lyn aka Rachel Bostic (Dylan Bostic's wife).  She is a friend of mine and is actually in Japan now until April. She worked some recent TNA tapings against Tessa and Taya as well as some WOH matches. Really glad to see her get noticed as she is one of the nicest, hardest working people you will ever meet.

Nice! I thought she looked quite good in a short amount of time given in her Impact matches late last year but I love her unique look here, fun character. Looking forward to seeing her shine some more.

They really need to stop having heel vs. heel matches. Crowd had no idea who was the good guy in Maverick vs. Hurtz. Still, enjoying this. Also I don't really notice ring announcers much unless they're especially bad, like monotone Torrie Wilson bad. I don't know if I could name a "favorite" ring announcer, for some reason just something I think about a lot in my wrestling production. (This is to explain an earlier comment left on my episode 2 review). I hadn't liked Shaul's growly read of "New Orleans" but honestly hadn't noticed her announcing before that. Outside of Finkel I'm not sure who is even considered an all time great or all time terrible ring announcer. 

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/02/wow-women-of-wrestling-2119.html

49 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Interesting. I hate vast majority of ring announcers, but I legitimately think Shaul has been the second best thing about this show through three weeks, behind Blanchard. 

The ring announcer is like the typesetter in a book, if you notice them, they're doing a shitty job.  That said, it's amazing just how many little things they're getting right. The commentary sucks, but with everything else clicking, I can deal with it. Once again, this show is far better than it has any right to be. Yeah, we all knew Tessa was a star, but damn, she's just killing it dead, the apple didn't fall very far from the tree in this case.

Main event this week had a real fast pace with a great buildup but ridiculously short and almost more angle than match but gotta love the "we're outta time!" ending when there's controversy. Liked the Jessie/Stephie match the most and Holidead/Azteca was fun.

While I'm loving the character work and storyline angles since the debut show, the wrestling quality is struggling. 

Amber O'Neal vs Willow got really rough in parts. The ref caught Lana interfering several times, never called for the dq or ejected her. Didn't help that nearly every spot Lana interfered in was mistimed or awkward. Can anyone tell O'Neal has been around for almost 20 yrs?

Holidead vs Azteca was fun. The crowd really makes some of these matches and much like they got solidly behind Fire, they've taken to Azteca. 

The triple threat was probably the best worked match I've seen so far, but  i agree that it deserved more time. Surprised to see that AEW hasn't thrown an offer to Santana. She really is a star. Tessa continues to own everything she does too. I've got some old UPW tapes with Jungle Grrrl (Erica Porter) and she looks better than ever. Finish was done well and I'm interested in where they'll take the angle.

• Like 1

Commentary hasn't bothered me, but I think I just learned to mostly tune out commentary ever since Heel Michael Cole. I thought the triple threat was easily the best WOW match since they've been back, especially loved the Jungle Grrrl/Tessa parts. Jungle Grrrl feels like someone who could have gotten really good if she hadn't gone on to have an actual normal live post original WOW. 

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/02/wow-women-of-wrestling-episode-4-2819.html

Jungle Grrrl wrestled for several years after WOW in UPW (an old developmental promotion for WWE in California). Passable work, but nothing too noteworthy. She mixed it up with Victoria, Ivory, Sara Del Rey, Shelly Martinez, and a few other recognizable names (the 2 women from the infamous HLA segment on Raw Savvy Sasha and Looney Lane). That being said, the 3way she worked with Santana and Tessa was the best I've seen her ever look in the ring. 

Tessa/Jungle Grrrl was pretty good, nice use of the ropes. Of course the end sucked but there was at least a visual pin. Then the TV autotunes to Impact and there's Tessa again, decked out like Onita ready for a death match? Okay.

I don't know how they keep introducing new people every single episode. How deep is the WOW roster? Are any of them gonna reappear besides whoever's fighting for the belt? 

I hope Havok sticks around. I've always thought she had precense and worked good as a monster. I can't tell if some of that heat was canned, but crowd was very vocal for Havok and Fire and it helped push the match a little.

The route they went with the title leaves a lot of open options. Santana never really "lost". The Beast inserted herself right in the middle.

Tessa vs Jungle Grrrl was watchable. Tessa worked really intense and unlike the 3way I thought Jungle Grrrl was struggling to keep up here. She still looked like a star contender with that finish and it created some great heat for the Born Legend's title win. 

Catching up on this, disappointed for Santana to lose the title like that. Tessa/Jungle was good though and was a nice setup for Jungle Grrrl vs The Beast. With Tessa/Santana still the big showdown to happen at some point. Razor is one of my favorites on the roster. I enjoy all the introductions whenever there is a new wrestler.