DVDVR Message Board

W.O.W. - Women of Wrestling (New Incarnation)

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Same here. Speaking of continuity, disappointed to hear Kiera Hogan say she and Diamante were not asked back for this new season, considering they were the tag team champs.

Still looking forward to seeing how things go, as I was a huge fan of the last season.

Yeah, I read that they didn't ask them back. That sucks, especially since they were champs and I liked them.

I enjoyed last season too and am happy to see some of those faces return. 

• Like 1

The pageantry is still there, which is a plus, and the color. As is the cheese factor. We’re back, baby! Lol

The Tonga Twins look like the team to beat so far in this tag tournament. They were pretty dominating. Wild that they would bring back Chantilly but not Fire and Adrenaline, the actual champs.

Strange that WOW would make such jarring recasts for characters when they still have the OG versions on their YouTube channel. I mean, new Randi Rah Rah is quite different visually from OG Randi Rah Rah lol but I guess those are the things that make WOW WOW

I liked the profile piece on Kandi Krush but felt it went a little long, especially since McLane again sells us on her background during the entrance. Liked Coach Campanelli focusing on Kandi’s hands but the match was kinda eh. There were definitely some weird moments like Kandi no selling the one pin attempt.

BK makes me miss Faith the Lioness lol She’s giving natural heels teas. I liked Vivian Rivera and was pleased to see her pick up the win despite the heavy BK focus.

Gambino was a pretty good seller. Surprised that she got as much in against The Beast as she did. Del Rio looks like much more of a challenge.

All in all, decent "first" episode. Some nice returns and decent new faces. Hopefully, they can maintain the energy as WOW has always had potential that has never quite gotten to the next level.

• Like 2

It's the third incarnation of WOW!  Since 2000, many things have happened in the development of Women's Wrestling in the United States.  Fit Finlay trained Divas to actually wrestle and transformed a hideous sideshow into a legit wrestling division.  The WWE dabbled in bringing in some of the best of Japanese Women's Pro Wrestling.  And in the last decade, the US indies have nurtured and produced some of the best pro wrestlers to grace the squared circle.  In 2000, WOW was a slight response to the sleazy bullshit the WWE putting out while also being the standard bearer of the Fabulous Moolah/Judy Martin style of women's wrestling- as Bambi, who was trained by fuckin JOYCE GRABLE, and Peggy Lee Leather, who was trained by the Fabulous Moolah, trained a bunch of strippers and models to wrestle like women would wrestle in the 1970s.  Thus it was good basic wrestling that created a couple of good matches between the constant hair beels and monkey flips.  The second incarnation was more of an ode to the IMPACT! KnockOuts division- with Thunder Rosa, Giselle Shaw, Kiera Hogan, Harlow O'Hara, Willow Nightingale, JesSICKa, Nikita Lyons and Tessa Blanchard.  Blanchard had some really good matches and there were some other pretty good matches, as the rest of the burgeoning roster were on the cusp of being good and would prosper in the next couple of years in AEW (Thunder Rosa, Kiera Hogan, Willow Nightingale) and especially IMPACT! (Giselle Shaw, Kiera Hogan, JesSICKa)- and Nikita Lyons, who has really blossomed in NXT.  Then AXS decided to cut it's non IMPACT! wrestling and  Tessa Blanchard went insane and now- HERE WE ARE! The third incarnation.  They have some kind of deal with CBS so who knows how long this will be on the air.  Will this be a breeding ground for AEW, IMPACT! and WWE like the last incarnation or has the big companies already figured out how to get the most talented under contract now?  LET'S WATCH!  I will try to figure out who is who under the awful WOW gimmick.  David McLane is still there giving out the hilariously dated gimmicks, but he also likes good in-ring action so he is a mixed blessing.  The Tonga Twins!   Oh man, cagematch.net is not helping me out.  I don't recognize these gals so HERE WE GO!  Randy Rah Rah isn't 45 years old, so she is the new Nise Randy Rah Rah!  I'm glad David McLane still has the teenage boys and 37 year old virgins of America's fantasies at the heart of his gimmicks.  Though a 45 year old in a cheerleader outfit would be a possibly different demographic.  Chantilly Chella is Ray Lin of Blond Force Trauma.  I wonder if Heather Monroe will show up at some point.  Either way, this is three folks I am seeing for the first time.  Chella is the first face in peril of the NEW ERA!  Randy Rah Rah is great as our Robert Gibson.  She's fun!  Tonga Twins with TWIN WRECKED EM!  Twins with a Samoan Drop for the win over Randy Rah Rah.  RANDI RAH RAH!  That was good.  Okay, Coach Campanelli is my new favorite of the NEW ERA!  Kandi Krush had a very dramatic video introduction.  Coach IS Larry Zbysko stalling early!  This is very NXT 2.0-level matches.  Nobody is doing anything they don't know they are sure they can pull off.  Coach works on  Krush's hand.  Krush has great facial expressions.  They tend to edit a lot around her wrestling.  Krush wins with a punch to the head!  Is she the female Johnny B Badd or maybe the female Anthony Ogogo?  Coach seemed like the one who knew her way around the ring.  I'm assuming she is a California Indie gal or something.  I don't know.  BK Rhythm is the most David McLane gimmick to ever be a David McLane gimmick.  Let's see how she is in the ring.  I am fast forwarding through her RAPPIN'!  Vivian Rivera and BK are not having there match all edited to hell because they seem to know their way around the ring.  Rivera is good.  Fun roll up for a win.  Adrianna Gambino has a gimmick of being very Italian.  It's the Beast!  What has she been doing the last four years?  According to cagematch.net, her last match was in WOW against Nikita Lyons in 2019.  Is Gambino Mafiosa from DARK?  She is the best in the ring of the episode.  This is the best match of the NEW ERA!  It looks like a real wrestling match and the Beast hits a cool Powerbomb for the win!  Somebody runs in postmatch and hits a totally gnarly German Suplex that Beat takes right on her skull!  The main event was good.  It was better than your average episode of NWA Powerrr but not as good as MLW or NWA USA.  It needs Tessa Blanchard to bring the real in-ring excellence but hope springs eternal.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

BK Rhythm is the most David McLane gimmick to ever be a David McLane gimmick. 

God bless, McLane and his gimmicks lol BK was definitely cringle level. I would buy it if they were using her as a bad rapper who doesn't know she's bad lol 

• Like 1

I just finished watching it on the dvr a little while ago. I thought it was the usual McLane campiness. Coach Champinelli seems to be an early heel who is a crowd favorite. I liked her quick backstage promo where she said Kandi Krush would never knock anyone out with her noodle arms.

The show wasn't bad. Like I said it was campy. AJ remains the best though and I hope maybe she'll get into the ring with them. But Tessa Blanchard coming back is probably more likely.

There's supposed to be a Heavy Metal faction of some sort so I hope RIOT turns back up in WOW at some point with them.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 1

Definitely thought this episode was stronger than last week. Aussie and Reina had a nice little match. And I like that we are going into storyline territory with Jessie and the tag tournament and progression with the Beast and Reina.

I was impressed by both Glitch and Leia. 

Sucked that the Heavy Metal Sisters went out as I enjoyed them last season but tickled that the crowd was so firmly behind them and not Miami Sweet Heat.

• Like 1

I was lost on where/when this was airing last week, but think I got it now airing tonight, so I just caught the 4 matches from last week that they put on Youtube. I had been looking for a full upload but they just put up each match individually so I guess there wasn't much in between on the show then (though it cuts off whatever post-match attack on Beast)

the Tonga Twins are awesome. Saw them at a local indy last year and they brought a bunch of family with them so they got an absolutely massive reaction that was one of the loudest I ever heard at a local show.

Kandi/Coach was a bit awkward as a match as both seemed pretty green but feel they have potential.

Loved BK Rhythm, she is otherwise Texas indy regular Killa Kate, showing a different side of her, this was fun.

Nice competitive squash main event. Beast still looks great, had no idea she was in her mid 40s already. I remember loving the lead up and execution of her title win over Tessa. A shame that Tessa had the falling out before this got going again.

Looking forward to now catching episode 2 proper in a bit. 

• Like 2

Definitely fun having this back regularly, for me it's Saturday at 11 PM just like it was when randomly discovering the original back in 2000.

the Psycho Sisters are now the Heavy Metal Sisters. Also sad to see them lose, Razor is one of my absolute favorites in this, her look is awesome. Fury looked good here as well.

Glad to see Jessie Jones back, was not expecting her to destroy both opponents. "I am the tag team champion!"

Absolutely loving "Glitch the Gamer". Perfect character to match her real personality and her latest all blue look with the hair and gear is the best. After that long video for Leia Makoa, I figured there was no way she could lose but Glitch did dominate most of the match. Kicking out of the samoan drop was a legit surprise. Good match with Leia having the somewhat underdog win while Glitch shines in defeat.

Thought Princess Aussie looked great in the main, her video package felt like a Tekken intro. Despite her video, figured she was destined to lose with Reina being the new top heel now. Solid match. Epic spear from Beast to end the show!

• Like 2

WOW is muscling in on my non-wrestling time!  Hey! It's Fury!  That's Harlow O'Hara and she looks great.  Miami Sweet Heat is such a David McLane concept.  The Heavy Metal Sisters look like they would dig Accept.  The twins seem pretty good.  Oh, Razor is Christina Von Eerie according to cagematch.net.  Actually, HMS would be more Vixen fans.  This match is good.  They edit the hell out of Miami Sweet Heat 2's hot tag. They hit the Lucha Bros move for the finish on Razor!  That was good.  I think.  The NXT editing is confusing.  I have to wait for cagematch.net to identify these gals to figure out if I have seen these gals before.  WOW does their first wacky booking move!  Jessie Jones takes on Ice Cold and Foxy Fierce alone to have her be in the tagteam tournament by herself?  Jessie Jones is good.  I love how WOW isn't afraid to have a very elaborate video build-up to a SUPERHERO to have her lose in a two on one handicap match.  It's Reka Tehaka!  She signed with the WWE this week.  She has definitely wrestled everywhere- AEW, CWFH, WOW and soon NXT.  Glitch the Gamer!  Ah, David McLane.   HEY! That's VertVixen!  I'm glad they signed her.  I notice that they aren't editing this every quarter second.  This is good, but it should be.  Princess Aussie!  She last wrestled last year in CWFH as Cece Chanel and I vaguely remember her.  I definitely remember her the last time WOW was on TV.  I'm sorry I need a few weeks to adjust to new WOW.  It's Reina Del Rey.  She's a good heel who is good beating the babyface Princess Aussie to the point that the crowd gets behind her STRUGGLE to escape the 1970s heel beatdown of Reina Del Rey.  This is really good.  Reina Del Rey is my new favorite wrestler on WOW.  That was good.  They only had to edit the hell out of one match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

WOW is muscling in on my non-wrestling time!  Hey! It's Fury!  That's Harlow O'Hara and she looks great.  Miami Sweet Heat is such a David McLane concept.  The Heavy Metal Sisters look like they would dig Accept.  The twins seem pretty good.  Oh, Razor is Christina Von Eerie according to cagematch.net.  Actually, HMS would be more Vixen fans.  This match is good.  

I believe Von Eerie was "Razor" in a previous incarnation of WOW, but this Razor is aka Sarah Wolfe/Sarah the Rebel.   Vixen Yes!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I believe Von Eerie was "Razor" in a previous incarnation of WOW, but this Razor is aka Sarah Wolfe/Sarah the Rebel.   Vixen Yes!

First a new Randi Rah Rah and now THIS!

• Haha 2

I just watched it because I forgot I had it on my dvr. It was all right. Same amount of Dave's campy ness. I liked Miami Sweet. They had a nifty tandem finisher.

Glitch the Gamer has to be the most modern gimmick ever for David McClane. 

Reina should prove to be a good feud for Beast. 

• Like 3

Opening tag was weirdly a total squash. Glad to see Stephy Slays again but disappointing that she barely got to do anything.

Great to see the Disciplinarian back as she had been out of wrestling the last few years since last season. 

Spars/Gigi was match of the night. Took me a minute to remember Spars was Amber Rodriguez, hadn't seen her in awhile but she looked fantastic all around here.

Solid main event with a nice knee finish. 

• Like 2

Hey!  Penelope Pink is Marina Tucker!  Chantilly Chella upsets the Disciplinarian!  Disciplinarian was trained by Booker T, according to cagematch.net.  Gigi Giani looks familiar.  That match was good.  Tucker is such a great redneck asskicker.  PUT THE BELT ON HER!  Vivian Rivera is a good sympathetic babyface.  III SAY that THIS was the match of the night.  V TRIGGER!  Better than Kenny Omega and Mandy Rose's!  

• Like 4

The audience reaction shots during Chainsaw's entrance were so WOW. I can't front. I was never a Bully Busters fan but I was rooting for the ol girls lol but Chainsaw was just too much. And now Siren and Chainsaw look like the team to beat.

Decent stuff between Chantilly and The Disciplinarian. 

Spars and Gianni was another good match. Gianni feels like a natural fit to eventually hook up with The Fabulous Lana Starr. 

Speaking of which, always good to see my favorite WOW Original return along with her new protege. Plus, no one rags on McLane quite like Lana Starr. Penelope and Lana did some good heeling which did nothing but garner sympathy for the awesome Rivera. Second show in a row where the main event ended up as my favorite match.

• Like 2

For some reason Ch. 10/55 here in NYC ran Charles Stanley's show 15 minutes over so I have to watch the last 15 on youtube when it goes up.

I liked the Bully Busters vs. Chainsaw and Voodoo. You have to love the dedication to her gimmick to get a full leg length tattoo of a chainsaw. 

I was surprised to see Disciplinarian lose. Figured she would win.

Spars vs. Gianni wasnt bad. 

Just got to find that main event to see what I missed.

• Like 2

Great opening tag. Tiki's tope suicida was epic. Peter Avalon sighting in the crowd.  Loving the Tonga Twins and I'm down with them winning the whole tournament here.

Second tag was an interesting story-driven match. Coach Campanelli is awesome. Didn't think Jessie Jones would lose her actual tournament match, poor BK. 

Reina/Leia was solid if surprisingly short. Tormenta is a good addition. 

Nice big fight feel heading in to the main event even if it turned out more angle than match. Reminded me of the previous season's 3 way with Beast, Tessa, and Jungle Grrl. 

• Like 1