DVDVR Message Board

SDL Es La Sombra de Rey Mysterio - 1/15/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I thought it was a really good match too. It's hard in 2019 to execute a counter-war while having it feel both non-cooperative and still have some sort of flow and narrative and I really thought they hit those marks (destroyer notwithstanding but then I'm more forgiving than Brian in this very specific case).

As a general thing, I'm more annoyed that Almas never hits a straight moonsault. That really misses the point of the move. That said, it was the double moonsault which took the crowd over the top and drew the "This is Awesome" chant even though the fans had to know it was coming, so you can only fault it so far.

These things can all be true at once:

-Andrade is among the best in the world at making modern hyperspeed choreography look combative.

-Rey is one of the best ever.

-Canadian Destroyers still can't be saved by their combined skill, to me.

-This is one of the best matches I've seen this year.

-That doesn't mean it's perfect or beyond criticism. The best matches deserve that degree of attention.

• Like 9

I'm a fan of the shortened Andrade. It has a nice ring to it by itself. Plus, it might be the only way he'd get pushed is having a sexy shortened name.so it's either "Cien" Almos or push.

Zelina Vega added so much to that match for me. She's just so phenomenal with her reactions to everything.

I watched the Total Divas episode with Naomi's wedding and it made me teary. I will always cheer for Naomi. I like this feud so far because it shows the strength of their marriage and not becoming a zany cheating/ jealous  angle. 

Becky is cool. 

• Like 3

Sex sells. Sex will always sell. Meltzer said something I agree with. The Alexa thing was stupid but if that's what they want to do there is room for both. Alexa doing that doesn't take away from the women's revolution because the female wrestlers aren't involved in the attitude era junk.

I get that you're playing devil's advocate here but nudity and sex will always garner attention. It's really a mute point. 

The problem is it goes against their ethos of not objectifying the female wrestlers, following what is a generational movement in female empowerment and equality and gravitating back to the turgid, decedent era that was the late 90s/00s is pivoting against all the good work that's been achieved over the past couple of years. Wedging back in edginess and sex exacerbates the progress.

Whatever your politics is really irrelevant here. It's the blatant hypocrisy that will blow up in their face in the long run. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

I get that you're playing devil's advocate here but nudity and sex will always garner attention. It's really a mute point. 

But it's a point that needs repeating when people wonder why they do this stuff. It gets results. 

I'm beyond expecting better than hypocrisy from them. I'm not wading in that.

I do wonder if this is a testing of the waters in case Vince ends up feeling like he needs to take the nuclear option if competition really does materialize. After all, the only reason the original attitude era happened was WCW kicking his ass for over a year.

It's all so desperate and indicative of the company that it's willing to suspend it's ethics on a dime to appease the network.

I'm sure viewing figures rising due to the shake-up will be deemed internally a success. For the short term, installing policies that worked in anarchic times might seem a good idea. It will not be long before advertisers start noticing things. It's not sustainable in this climate. 

It's more proof to me that the current WWE brass are out of new ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, I know wrestling is a work and cooperative, but that move in general, and especially the way they have been doing it, for me, just shatters any pretext I can possibly have about them actually fighting.

Not that this really matters, but there were endless spots in that match that were just as a cooperative... I mean, it's cool you don't like it, but saying that specific spot shattered any pretext you possibly had about them actually fighting is a bit of a stretch unless you think you'll see people hitting hurancarana's in real fights...

47 minutes ago, Rick said:

It's all so desperate and indicative of the company that it's willing to suspend it's ethics on a dime to appease the network.

I'm sure viewing figures rising due to the shake-up will be deemed internally a success. For the short term, installing policies that worked in anarchic times might seem a good idea. It will not be long before advertisers start noticing things. It's not sustainable in this climate. 

It's more proof to me that the current WWE brass are out of new ideas. 

You talk about the current climate, but Tucker and Ingraham didn’t feel any real pain till they ventured deep into the heart of downtown crazytown. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I hate to be that guy, but somebody has to. It's a moot point. A mute point would look something like this.

Image result for mute point meme

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hate to be that guy, but somebody has to. It's a moot point. A mute point would look something like this.

Image result for mute point meme

I laughed my ass off at this, far too loud and far too long.

• Like 3

SmackDown and Raw were both excellent and both had super badass matches.

They also both featured sex-fueled segments/bits. I see that someone with WWE has discovered the power of Scarlett Bordeaux being featured in YouTube thumbnails.

12 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Re: name change

Isn’t his real last name Andrade? Isn’t this doing him a favor if / when he leaves WWE?

I’m in favor of Andrade “Cien” or Andrade “Tranquilo” like a Mirko Cro Cop or Cris Cyborg.

Andrade “Cien” Almas was always too extra.

I’d be in favor of Andrade El Idolo.

• Like 1