DVDVR Message Board

SDL Es La Sombra de Rey Mysterio - 1/15/2019

Dolfan in NYC

You know what match deserves a "Fight forever" chant?  That god damned Rey/Andrade match.  

Like I said on twitter, I was expecting them to pull out crazy shit you never see anyone do like Screwdrivers and Emerald Flowsions.  Lordy. 

Last week I said we wouldn't get this match because nice things suck. Guess I was wrong. They really need to keep this program going and let them tear it up on a PPV.

When Heavy Machinery were called up I was hoping for a Dozer/Big E interaction and that was a good taste.

With as good as Smackdown is now, the Usos/Mandy/Naomi angle is straight attitude era bullshit.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

With as good as Smackdown is now, the Usos/Mandy/Naomi angle is straight attitude era bullshit.

You know damn well if this was Attitude Era that segment would have played out with the Usos pulling "twin magic", the unmarried Uso sleeping with Mandy and then shaming her on Smackdown the next week.

Not gonna lie, part of me though was secretly hoping that segment would be going with the camera inside the hotel room, theres a knock on the door, and it turns out he gave Dozer the key. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

You know damn well if this was Attitude Era that segment would have played out with the Usos pulling "twin magic", the unmarried Uso sleeping with Mandy and then shaming her on Smackdown the next week.

Not gonna lie, part of me though was secretly hoping that segment would be going with the camera inside the hotel room, theres a knock on the door, and it turns out he gave Dozer the key. 

NXT-Star-Mandy-Rose.png

and if he showed up as Mandy Rose.....

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

I absolutely thought they were gonna at least have Jey show up in Jimmy's place to trick Mandy, when they were all "What are you gonna do? "I don't know.."

Also just remembered they advertised Carmella/Sonya but it never happened.

Loved the star with Becky drinking Heavy Machinery's concoction. Becky/Peyton started off fine, then for some reason they had a longer and far more competitive match than necessary. Asuka murdering Billie shortly afterward was nice.

I enjoyed the Mandy/Naomi brawl and hope they get a decent stip match in the future.

Mystertio/Almas was awesome and easily MOTY so far for me. Glad Almas finally got a bit singles victory.

Rey/Almas was good, but holy fuck I hate that Canadian Destroyer spot they are doing. It just totally kills whatever suspension of disbelief I have. There is nothing for Rey to build momentum from to make that work. Like, I hate Canadian Destroyers in general, but that one is way less plausible than even a normal one.

Beyond that, good match. This Mandy/Jimmy/Naomi angle is just the fucking worst.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rey/Almas was good, but holy fuck I hate that Canadian Destroyer spot they are doing. It just totally kills whatever suspension of disbelief I have. There is nothing for Rey to build momentum from to make that work. Like, I hate Canadian Destroyers in general, but that one is way less plausible than even a normal one.

It at least needs to be the finish. Nothing should top that.

My disbelief can't take all the "I bumped but I better sit back up so the other guy can hit me again" spots. Had to be at least three in this match.

It's not someone surviving it. It's that there is no way humanly possible for Rey to hit that move from that position and it's painfully obvious Almas is the one doing a backflip onto his own head.

I mean, I know wrestling is a work and cooperative, but that move in general, and especially the way they have been doing it, for me, just shatters any pretext I can possibly have about them actually fighting. Moreso than nearly any other spot/move in wrestling.

As for the survivability, we've been conditioned for a decade that a DDT is just a transition move or a set up move in WWE (Almas is an exception ironically). The sort of impact you get on Rey's destroyer feels like sort of like the same.

As for the believability, I'd rather he not be doing it, sure. I sort of buy it as Rey's a master of manipulation of leverage or what not, but yeah, it's better if he wasn't doing it.

I had more of an issue with Graves going on and on about it when it's a 13+ year old move that a huge majority of the crowd is familiar with (it's apparently in the WWE2K video games for instance). That came off as pretty disingenuous. 

Re: name change

Isn’t his real last name Andrade? Isn’t this doing him a favor if / when he leaves WWE?

I’m in favor of Andrade “Cien” or Andrade “Tranquilo” like a Mirko Cro Cop or Cris Cyborg.

Andrade “Cien” Almas was always too extra.

• Like 1

I thought it was a really good match (not moty, because I've seen at least four matches I liked more so far this year), excellent even. But taking one of my least favorite moves and making it even worse just drags me right out of the match.