DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber IX - 2/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Ronda became a transcendent star in MMA by rolling through the competition. They don't really have women that are capable of being stars in the short-term outside of Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha. Alexa is really pretty, makes funny faces well, has fine ideas in the ring but has never struck me as somebody convincing bell-to-bell. Ronda should be smashing and tapping everybody but those three and Nia. Alexa's a tiny coward and yet, IIRC, Ronda had to sell for her for several minutes at a time and it was ridiculous. I get that Ronda's a great seller in wrestling despite her neophyte status, but she should only sell once in a blue moon against absolute top women. Not fucking Ruby Riott or Alexa Bliss. 

If you're putting Sasha up there, you have to put Bayley, Asuka, and probably Ember up there.

Alexa's character was always based on her being a chickenshit heel, so it makes sense for Ronda to squash her, but Ruby's supposed to be tougher than that even if they aren't ever giving her any actual wins to back that up.

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

BTW, I have such a great idea/prediction I have to mention it:

The mania package for Bryan’s title match NEEDS to be set to Monster by Imagine Dragons again. Just a total opposite context.

I see what you're saying, but I'd have trouble calling any idea that involves me listening to Imagine Dragons "great."

• Like 2

Was half watching the show, as it was game night last night and we were finishing up Betrayal Legacy.

Low point of the night may have been watching the Braun Strowman taped promo where he's clearly reading his lines off a card or teleprompter.  Terry Funk ain't readin no cue cards.

Glad the Usos won because the idea of Shane beating The Bar and The Usos makes me sick. My friend who called Finn Balor a greasy slimeball back the Rumble, saw Shane and went, "Oh that one looks like just a guy. Like some guy from the office they just pulled into the ring." 

I wish Sarah Logan was a  bigger deal. She's rad. Same for Ruby Riott.

The Becky is suspended but she's going to evade security on crutches moment was duuuuuuuuummb as fuck.  

One time I looked up from the game and I saw Lacey Evans walking backstage, and I said "What was that?" Apparently other people who were actively watching the show said the same thing, so I feel better.

Between the gauntlet and the end of the Chamber, it's pretty clear that Kofi and Daniel Bryan could put on a hell of a match at Wrestlemania. Kudos to Kofi for getting people to believe in him again. I really hope they go that direction. At this rate it's the one safe bet to satisfy the crowd.  

Even with the Kofi stuff, I still kind of hate this company and nearly everything they do. The wrestlers are good, some of them are great, But I can't wait until after Mania so I can drop this sub.

• Like 1

If Bryan/Kofi are going to have a singles match on a PPV - more likely it would be at Fastlane

Now that being said - especially with AJ still hurting - they definitely have a path to create a Bryan/Kofi/Ali Mania match

What are they gonna do with Bryan at Mania if not Kofi vs D-Bry? Bring Luke Harper back and do New Day vs Bryan Rowan and Harper? They got something special with Kofi and Bryan, why not capitalize on it. Give Kofi his 'Wrestlemania moment" he can drop the belt back 6 weeks later at Backlash. 

I think if you draw a line from that night in 2009 to last night it is a glaring example of WWE wasting their talent. And I'm not saying Kofi would have been the next Stone Cold or the start of the next boom but damn there has been a lot of cold garbage on TV in that time.

I actually like Bryan's idea and it's probably the one that makes the most sense. At Fastlane you do DB/Rowan/Harper vs The New Day with Kofi getting a pin on DB to win there. Then you do some faction warfare in the lead up to WM where you run DB vs Kofi. Kofi winning the title has been built up as way too big of a moment now to waste on anything other than WM.

So since that's the easy and logical route, it will probably be the least likely one.

And I see AJ taking on Orton at WM. It's an easy match for AJ, it's high profile, and it's apparently a match both guy has wanted.

I wasn't feeling much of the show last night. The women's tag team chamber match was pretty bad I thought. Lots of laying around and doing nothing to cover up that most of the women in that match aren't very good. Bayley and Sasha winning was the right move.

Finn winning the IC title and there already being tension between Lashley and Lio and is whatever. I hope Finn re-elevates the IC title.

Ronda putting Ruby Riott through a buzzsaw is fucking bullshit. Not even a competitive match? Really? What, did old ass Shane and Miz vs the Usos take too much time? I know I'm Ruby's biggest fan on here, but she's been a complete afterthought after basically being one of the cornerstones of the women's division on Raw for months. 

I'm so fucking sick of Braun feuding with Corbin. They've killed Braun. It's amazing to think about how white hot he was and see where he is now.

Really dug the whole story of the men's Rumble. It basically went down how I thought it would with the final 4 being Orton, AJ, Kofi, and DB with Orton eliminating AJ to setup something between the two of them and Kofi pinning Orton to make Kofi look like a bigger deal. Final stretch of the match was beyond great. About three times they had me thinking Kofi was really going to win it all. Well done.

I love Ruby and the Riot Squad. It's one of my favorite acts. Ruby's a great disrespectful heel. 

But the main event of WM is Ronda/Charlotte/Becky. They need to make Ronda look like an absolute monster. They made Charlotte look like that in the Rumble (and with her viciousness in general). And they're doing a great job making Becky the underdog who is an undeniable force of nature and will stop at nothing to take what she has earned. This needs to be clearly the three best women's wrestlers alive (with apologies to Asuka) going at it to settle every score imaginable. 

Ronda needs to squash everyone and everybody the next few weeks. 

Ruby's going to be fine. She's a great worker. But right now, she's a sacrificial lamp for the much bigger picture.

• Like 3

Fantasy booking warning.

New Day vs Bryan/Rowan/Harper at Fastlane. Kofi pins Bryan

Four way number one contenders match at WM: Samoa Joe beats Rey, Orton, Hardy

Kofi pins Bryan at WM. Bryan drafted to Raw to feud Rollins.

Joe pins Kofi at Backlash when Usos turn heel and interfere. Jealous of New Day getting the HW title when they are better than them, etc. 

New Joe/Usos faction vs New Day six mans carry SD through the Spring.

Joe drops title to whoever the new Guy on SD will be in the Summer. 

11 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I really hope they don't Braun Kofi. Or Rusev Kofi. Or Elias Kofi. 

Or Kofi Kofi?

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

If I had to guess, B. Result didn't set well with me.

With as many titles as the Usos have won, I would be surprised if another reign was very enticing to them.

• Like 3

First time I’ve watched a non top 4 PPV live in a while. 

Womens chamber was better than i thought- Rose and Deville did fat better than I thought. 

Mens chamber was great, Kofi was a fucking star. In fact, I don’t think anyone came out looking bad.

The Ronda/Charlotte/Becky segment was good and made sense in that Rousey&Flair will now both beg for Becky to be added to the match. 

One thing I have to say is that if Nia was as careless as Becky was with the crutch towards the other two there would be uproar.

Becky laid it in but as Alvarez mentioned, Ronda was flopping around like a fish out of water and gave Becky some awkward targets. I was horrified she'd end up with a broken finger when she picked up the crutch to defend herself and Becky was hacking away. 

Thoughts on another interesting point Alvarez made? He said that Becky attacking Ronda from behind was the wrong move and that Vince has forgotten how he got Stone Cold over. While Austin would cheap shot people it wasn't from behind. It's not a huge thing but a small detail that wwe overlooks like they do so often and did not so much back in the day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I think the assumption was Ali was going to go Final 2 and potentially challenge Bryan at Mania this year. If Ali was going to beat Bryan in the Gaunlet it would give him 2 pinfall victories over him.

I think it's reasonable to expect that Ali was going to be the long man in both the gauntlet and the chamber and get some shine on him. But my assumption is they've leaned harder on Kofi than they planned to Ali because the fans want it more.

If he was the planned Mania challenger, is he dropping clean falls to Orton and Joe and getting eliminated by Nia? Probably not. They like Ali. But it's not Mania title match kinda like. Not yet.

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Thoughts on another interesting point Alvarez made? He said that Becky attacking Ronda from behind was the wrong move and that Vince has forgotten how he got Stone Cold over. While Austin would cheap shot people it wasn't from behind. It's not a huge thing but a small detail that wwe overlooks like they do so often and did not so much back in the day. 

I think he's dead wrong about this, honestly. Becky is cleverer than Ronda, spends every waking moment basically tweeting the fact, and just got to demonstrate the point. (She's also injured, so attempting a face-to-face attack would just be dumb.) And now, feeling aggrieved, Ronda will demand to wrestle Becky, whereas she wouldn't be as angry about being attacked more honorably. It was booked with all that in mind, and got the reaction they must have wanted. 

Did it though? It got a pop, but we heard louder pops for Kofi and Becky has way more momentum than Kofi right now. And I think all Alvarez was looking for was for Becky to swing Ronda around before dummying her with the crutch (which was her equalizer). I don't think it's a huge deal either way but it did seem a bit off, even if Becky is a rogue (but only some of the time). 

edit: oh man, that Dave tweet. 

Edited by Oyaji

A cheap shot is a cheap shot

Austin wasn't "better" because Vince wasn't laying on his stomach when he attacked him in the hospital room

Nor was Austin "better" because he popped a beer before attacking Booker from behind

The point was most likely made by Alvarez since his grasp of "facts" has always been very tenuous