DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber IX - 2/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I'm really digging Sonya Deville and Ronda Rousey's new looks. I think the latter might have been a one off cosplay type deal, but I hope not. I was never a fan of either of their attires and the long tights really suits them. Speaking of Sonya - I was really rooting for her and Mandy once it came down to just them against Sasha & Bayley. I felt like that was an obvious choice for the "first ever" tag team champions, but they're hell bent on making the NXT Horsewomen be remembered in history, since they've all won the inaugural titles (Charlotte - RAW, Becky - SD, Bayley & Sasha - tag team). It's fine, but Mandy & Sonya are really good and deserve their moment in the sun.

Of course, Liv and Sarah Logan eating pinfalls courtesy of Nia Jax and Tamina was pretty awful. I'm generally fine with Nia's work, she's a good "big monster" type, but my fucking god Tamina just gets worse and worse every time. That superfly splash is atrocious. We all know my feelings about Liv Morgan, but Sarah Logan really deserves more than she's been given on the main roster. She's fantastic. Ruby Riott deserves more than the extended squash she got tonight, too. I might not like Charlotte's inclusion in the RAW women's title match, but at least she tried to build up Ruby on Twitter and make it seem like this match might be something more than what it turned out to be.

The Becky/Ronda/Charlotte angle was pretty great, but, uh, yeah, Graves & Cole have a point. If she's suspended, the referees and security should have swarmed her the minute she entered the ring. Entering through the crowd was pretty pointless, too, since she just waltzed right by security and into ringside by the timekeeper. I'm glad that Monday's horrible angle didn't sour the fans on Becky, though. It sucks for someone like Ruby Riott, who probably won't ever get a substantial push with all of these names around, but the crowd not caring about Ronda or Charlotte and just chanting WE WANT BECKY over and over is pretty great. WWE is either determined to fuck up Becky's hot streak, or they really and truly don't know how to book something when it's organically hot and not something that they've manufactured. And that's sad.

Some other stuff happened on this show but, goddamn, I just don't care about the men's side of things in WWE anymore. Balor winning is cool, I guess? Skipped over Shane & Miz vs The Usos because I hate everyone involved. I get why The Usos won, since the Shane vs Miz angle needs to be furthered, but I'm pretty sure this is the second DUI for the Uso brothers and both times they were immediately given titles like right after it. Corbin vs Strowman is so boring, and I honestly don't care at all. Braun being bumped down into a feud with BARON CORBIN after being so fuckin' over last year just shows you why people have so little faith in that they'll handle Becky Lynch's rise the proper way.

The men's Elimination Chamber was a thing, I guess. I bought into the "Kofi might win the title" stuff, but that's all I really cared about. And honestly, if they run Kofi/Bryan at WrestleMania... sure, it'll be a good match. But, let's be honest. That's more of a Fastlane PPV match than a WrestleMania one. I mean, I wouldn't complain, but I doubt it's going to happen. They could have done it tonight, given him a token title run (either until Fastlane, or Smackdown on Tuesday) just as a thank you, but, man, people are dreaming if they think Kofi Kingston as WWE Champion is going to be a thing that would last more than a few weeks (if at all).

(That Mark Henry special started out really good but man it time jumped super fast and that made it suck. Give me full length documentaries or don't even bother)

I think they should've gone with Kofi winning the belt here and dropping it back at Fast Lane. But I do like the suggestion I saw of using New Day vs Bryan/Rowan/Maybe Harper at Fast Lane to build to Bryan/Kofi at Mania.

• Like 6

It probably was said already but I will miss Ronda tugging on her shorts all the time.

(Of course this was probably a one time thing to promote the game and she will be right back to it at Fastlane)

Also - speaking of new outfits - Sonya in long pants is the right move. Those "here are some generic black pants with some gold glitter" ones were bleh but I like the concept they went with

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Some of you people clearly sleep less than I do.

Six pages?!?!?!?!

I'm feeling it at this point.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And we haven't even been fighting!

Yes. RIPPA won't need the Ban Mjolnir of Cash.

Re: cutting to the crowd abruptly

Usually it means there was a wardrobe malfunction (like Becky had one at Rumble and the same awkward cutaway happened)

So it's entire possible someone's small package came out during the small package

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Re: cutting to the crowd abruptly

Usually it means there was a wardrobe malfunction (like Becky had one at Rumble and the same awkward cutaway happened)

So it's entire possible someone's small package came out during the small package

Heh. Well, Daniel Bryan is the Master of the Small Package.

30 minutes ago, steve said:

I read the Lacey thing was a misdirection while they repaired the pod Nia busted through.

It makes sense but you would have thought they could have fixed it right after the women's match ended though since the had the video package and then had Miz and Maryse come out. It's not like those two couldn't have filled more time on the mic if necessary.

I guess they didn't want to gamble with raising the cage late

(But yeah - I saw someone say there was 27 minutes between the last two matches so....)

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Here I just thought they were stalling because the show was ending so early.

I'd they actually intended for this show to be over at like quarter to ten... Wow

3 hours and 15-30mins then 4 hours and 15-30 mins max maybe?

I guess the new gimmick is to have Sam Roberts say something on the kickoff show and then have that person prove them wrong

I am assuming Sam is representing the IWC in their mind

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Some other stuff happened on this show but, goddamn, I just don't care about the men's side of things in WWE anymore. Balor winning is cool, I guess? Skipped over Shane & Miz vs The Usos because I hate everyone involved. I get why The Usos won, since the Shane vs Miz angle needs to be furthered, but I'm pretty sure this is the second DUI for the Uso brothers and both times they were immediately given titles like right after it. 

In the Uso's defence, this time wasn't a DUI. Naomi was driving and seemingly hasn't been charged with being under the influence, so I think she's clear there. If anything, Jimmy being drunk and not driving is hopefully a sign of a lesson learned. Fighting a policeman is definitely dumb, but it's not as selfish and reckless as DUI