DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber IX - 2/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Just putting it out there on first viewing the Chamber match is my current MOTY, and if I did match ratings, would probably be 5 stars. I really really loved it.

Probably super over the top, but holy fuck.

I thought the middle portion with Hardy and Orton in there was....  blah.   The opening with Bryan vs. Joe and then Kofi getting in was all awesome.  

Kofi vs. Bryan was a classic finishing stretch..  

I'd go about 4.5 stars if I were a rating's man.  

• Like 1

Did anyone else get nervous for the other women when Nia and Tamina were throwing them into the cage?

I'm very surprised Sasha and Bayley won. I was expecting Sonya and Mandy to win, but anyone other than Tamina & Nia, and to a lesser extent Naomi and Carmella would have been fine with me. Before anyone suggests it, I wasn't pulling for Naomi and Carmella because they were a thrown together team, not because of what happened this past week.

I'm surprised as hell the Usos won. I feel like Maryse announcing she's pregnant again is going to end up with Shane revealed as the father leading us to Shane vs. Miz at WM.

Balor vs. Lio & Lashley was predictable. I don't like splitting up Lio and Lashley. Lio was a perfect mouthpiece.  

Ruby getting squashed was bullshit. There was so much that could have been cut from other matches, and let's face it, another Braun/Corbin match was completely unnecessary. You want to know how to kill a crowd? Corbin standing victorious with Lashley and Drew McIntyre.

Becky dressed as The Bride from Kill Bill was fucking awesome, as was the beatdown of Ronda and Charlotte.

The main event was fine. I really didn't like Joe and AJ being eliminated before Jeff Hardy and Randy Orton, especially Joe going out first. I'm really surprised we got a clean finish. With Rowan being kicked out, I figured we'd get Luke Harper hiding under the ring or breaking into the chamber with bolt cutters.

• Like 3

Samoa Joe was the first eliminated and still managed to look like a stud. Him and Bryan starting off was so great. Cowardly heel vs monster heel. Kofi coming in next was magic. He was over immediately. 

I was so drawn into this. The "Thank you" chants were very touching. 

I’m all in on the Samoan Slaughterhouse. Tamina and Nia stereo ragdolling the IIconics was my favorite part of the ppv. I hope the Nia-haters appreciated that she died for our entertainment with that charge into the pod. 

I skipped Finn vs. Lashley/Lio & Baron/Braun.

Buddy/Tozawa was pretty damn good and got one of the better reactions a CW title match has gotten on kickoff shows the last year or so.

Women's EC was rough in a lot of parts, but still pretty darn fun with every team actually getting their moments to shine. Dug the hell out of Sasha's improvised Bank Statement. Glad Boss 'n' Hug Connection won.

Shane/Miz vs. Usos was solid fun. Congrats to Miz and Maryse on another kid coming.

Ruby/Ronda kind of pissed me off. I'm not really a Ruby fan at all and find her to be kind of overrated, but she did not deserve this bs. They better be arranging for her and the rest of Riott Squad to hold all the gold later this year. Despite that bullshit I actually did lover everything else else from Charlotte's awesome promo to Ronda's Sonya Blade outfit, to Becky beating the shit out of both.

The men's EC was going good, then got fucking fantastic with the Kofi/Bryan stretch. I loved seeing Kofi step up and take everything Bryan had to give. Loved the audience not being smarky and just buying into it all. They should given Kofi the win. If Kofi/Bryan isn't planned for WM yet it damn well should be after tonight.

Good show from what I saw, but then I also probably cut out the two weakest matches aside from the bullshit that was Ronda/Ruby. Their ppvs need tot be this short again outside of the big four (and WM should totally be split in two).

24 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I feel bad for Ali on missing out if he was supposed to have Kofi's same run but at the same time good for Kofi on getting a main event spot and looking great in the process.

I don't think this would have worked nearly as well with Ali. He isn't super over and doesn't have the same back story Kofi brings that really helps push things to the next level for the audience.

20 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I’m not her biggest fan, but Ruby Riot deserves better.

Why? This is exactly what it should've been and what almost all of Ronda's matches the past year should've been. Wrestling should always have gods and clods. Ruby compared to Ronda is a clod. Surviving more than a few minutes with her should be an accomplishment.

I wasn't paying too close attention to the women's chamber match but there was, as was expected, a lot of sloppy stuff going on. But it wasn't outright bad. I could tell the result the second Sasha came out and she had the big shit eating grin on her face instead of pouty losing face. I get that she really cares about wins and losses but she's gotta get better at masking that in her entrances.

I love Shane and Lio Rush's characters but this show was a total skipfest outside of the Becky angle and main event. The men's chamber match felt like it was a fun, good little match that turned into something great with the final two in the finishing stretch. Loved the Hardy swanton -> knee spot too. If they aren't completely tone deaf and they actually run Kofi/D-bry at Mania, let's hope it's in the first hour so it can capitalize on a relatively fresh crowd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MADCAP said:

I’m all in on the Samoan Slaughterhouse. Tamina and Nia stereo ragdolling the IIconics was my favorite part of the ppv. I hope the Nia-haters appreciated that she died for our entertainment with that charge into the pod. 

like a bull in a china shop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I thought the middle portion with Hardy and Orton in there was....  blah.   The opening with Bryan vs. Joe and then Kofi getting in was all awesome.  

Kofi vs. Bryan was a classic finishing stretch..  

I'd go about 4.5 stars if I were a rating's man.  

I think the biggest key to this match that I loved is that everyone wrestled to the character they have so well. It was like a better version of the Chamber match 2 years ago when Wyatt won the belt. Joe is an old asskicker who just can’t take shots like he could in his prime. Hardy is the daredevil that does stupid shit that leaves him vulnerable. Orton is an opportunist who probably isn’t as good as AJ or Bryan but has one move that is a killshot if he can hit it. AJ is an amazing wrestler, but he got caught  in a position we’re he had no way to counter Ortons killshot. Kofi was the guy who had had never got his moment who probably only had this one chance. And Bryan is, well, an asshole who is a very very good wrestler.

A better worker version of the 2017 Rumble is a fantastic match.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Why? This is exactly what it should've been and what almost all of Ronda's matches the past year should've been. Wrestling should always have gods and clods. Ruby compared to Ronda is a clod. Surviving more than a few minutes with her should be an accomplishment.

I disagree. The first Alexa match was the perfect blueprint for lesser Ronda opponents. Ruby is tougher and better than Alexa in general. She should have gotten at least five minutes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Not a fan of the Usos winning the WWE Smackdown Live Tag Team Titles with what happened earlier in the week.

or Graves being on commentary, but that could also be because he's fucking sucked for a while

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is a badass pic.  The women continue to show out.  

I really hope Ronda goes full heel with this even if she was the wronged party. It makes sense for her to just say fuck it and try to destroy Becky and Charlotte instead falling into their games.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is a badass pic.  The women continue to show out.  

Must say, they're doing a hell of a job with the long-term build for this Mania triple threat and establishing why all parties despise each other. Charlotte destroying Ronda at Survivor Series, Ronda screwing her and Becky at TLC, Becky's Rumble win, Becky attacking Ronda/Charlotte tonight. All it needs is Ronda destroying both of them at Fastlane, and the circle of bloodshed is complete.

• Like 6

Just now, Eivion said:

I really hope Ronda goes full heel with this even if she was the wronged party. It makes sense for her to just say fuck it and try to destroy Becky and Charlotte instead falling into their games.

It is kind of about time she showed up on Smackdown and beat somebody mercilessly.

• Like 1

Womens chamber was pretty good but a foregone conclusion. The Best Tag Team in the World losing was total shit and took me out of the show. then Lashley losing the IC title already just like that sucked. Then Ruby gets squashed in under 2 minutes making it even worse. She at least got 6 minutes in their Raw match. so mostly hated this show. Every week finding Becky more and more unlikable, cheap shotting Ronda like a wuss made me just want her to go away and let Ronda and Charlotte have their Mania moment. Thankfully Braun lost for once. And then the closing of the main event was excellent. Totally bought the Trouble in Paradise near fall then countered in to the small package was great stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I disagree. The first Alexa match was the perfect blueprint for lesser Ronda opponents. Ruby is tougher and better than Alexa in general. She should have gotten at least five minutes.

Ronda became a transcendent star in MMA by rolling through the competition. They don't really have women that are capable of being stars in the short-term outside of Charlotte, Ronda, and Sasha. Alexa is really pretty, makes funny faces well, has fine ideas in the ring but has never struck me as somebody convincing bell-to-bell. Ronda should be smashing and tapping everybody but those three and Nia. Alexa's a tiny coward and yet, IIRC, Ronda had to sell for her for several minutes at a time and it was ridiculous. I get that Ronda's a great seller in wrestling despite her neophyte status, but she should only sell once in a blue moon against absolute top women. Not fucking Ruby Riott or Alexa Bliss.