DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber IX - 2/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Both the elimination chambers were pretty great overall in different ways, I thought. The women’s tag match had the less great finishing stretch (tho that last submission was dope) but the body of the match had a lot of good brawling, good bumps, and interesting pairings. The men’s match I thought was very blah in the first half but goddamn that Bryan/Kofi match at the end more than made up for it.

Kofi/Bryan was off the charts. Easily career best for Kingston. I think they should've gone ahead and given him it.

I don't think New Day wastes their talents though. It's gotten all three of them over.

• Like 4

I feel bad for Ali on missing out if he was supposed to have Kofi's same run but at the same time good for Kofi on getting a main event spot and looking great in the process.

Poor Ruby Riot. Rhonda's Sarah Connor cosplay was a much better look for her than the Piper kit. The aftermath showed Charlotte isn't needed in the Mania match.

I've never liked Shane but he looked worse than normal in that match.

The women's EC match was solid though I was expecting The Riot Squad or another heel team to win so Sasha and Bayley could win the belts in their Mania moment, but I guess being the first tag champs was a bigger moment for them to have.

Tozowa/Murphy getting put on the preshow but Braun/Corbin being on the main show was total horseshit.

The finish to the women's EC was brilliant as well. Great to see Sasha and Bayley get something. They are way too good for the way they've been booked.

Charlotte and Ronda should've just had a confrontation or contract signing to lead into Becky whipping their asses (fuck did Ronda turn right into that. Ouch)

Braun must be a real asshole. Two months ago he had a ton of friends help him with Corbin. Monday he still had two friends. Today everyone hates him.

Usos not being punished, it would appear.

Good show

• Like 2

I was against the idea of Kofi Kingston getting a lifetime achievement run with the belt this morning, but goddamn did I want him to win tonight. It was setup perfectly, even if it was just a 3 week reign. They actually had my heart racing because I thought we were going to see something special there. My 9 year old son isn't a huge New Day fan (he likes them but they wouldn't be among his favourites) but he was bouncing around the couch at all the near falls. This is the only time in the three years he's been watching that I can recall him actually being upset over the result of a match - "I know he loves animals, but we needed a new champion!"

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Say what you will, but the final Bryan-Kofi segment was absolute perfection.  

I hope they get 30 at Mania. 

That final segment was not only really good, it also seemed to totally get the crowd. Crowd seemed genuinely 100% behind Kofi, no indyriffic chants till after the match. Bryan is still one of the best in the world and Kofi was on fire. 

I think the Women's Tag chamber was really bad for the most part. Sasha's finisher switch to work around the injured arm was great though. 

Outside of the chamber final, I was honestly of the opinion that the Balor vs Lashley & Rush match was the best match in how it was laid out and executed. 

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I need to watch the women's Elimination Chamber as I wasn't up in time.

You should. It was really good.

That final stretch in the main event was everything that's great about professional wrestling. I'm a cynical motherfucker when it comes to long, "epic" matches, but they sucked me in. When Kofi pinned Randy I legitimately thought he was going to win. The story about 11 years in is tremendous, too. I hope he gets his moment at the big stage with a performer that makes everyone look better, like Daniel Bryan. 

You think they finally bring back Wyatt/Harper to help Strowman against the heel guys? Does anyone care at this point?

I'd bet this is the first non brand specific PPV without a former Shield member on it in a long time.

I thought they might hold off on Sasha/Bayley winning the titles until the big moment, but they weren't wrong to do it there. I still think the endgame is all four horsewomen celebrating in the ring with titles to close Wrestlemania. Idk how they get there, but Seth isn't close to over enough for him to close the show and anyone giving a shit. 

Nia Jax has the best job in wrestling. She keeps hurting people and ends up not having to do that much. 

I thought Alexa and Mickie might jump Naomi and Carmella and take their spots, but they didn't. Alexa needs more to do. If she can't bump consistently, put her with the Iiconics or give her a male team to manage. 

Ruby Riott should ask for her release. It appears whining like the Revival is the way to get what you want, and she is capable of much more. I hate talking about what people "deserve" in a worked setting, but she's capable of more.

Buddy Murphy went from a pending "Mero" situation to being the best leadoff hitter in company history, and there's real value in that. Put the CW title on the main show at Mania. Those guys have earned that. 

• Like 3

I'm all in on this Kofi Kingston: WWE Champion push. When he debuted, he would have been my favorite wrestler if I was still 10-years-old. Instead, it was 11 years ago, and I was 30 and I was still looking at things through a really critical lens. He wasn't good, but there's a reason why so many kids always reacted to Kofi. That's because he has always looked like he's having fun. 

The New Day really don't make any sense at all. It was a DOA gimmick. I had no idea what heel Kofi would look like. He really leaned into the annoying dork character as hard as his partners. They rightfully became celebrated and wildly popular. It's easy to see why. Those three guys love wrestling and they love having fun. They're pretty indispensable to the WWE right now and have been for four years. They've had more than a bunch of Raw/Smackdown episodes built around whatever they're doing. They can slide back and still remain over just by being lovable goofballs. They can chew up 20 minutes of time with really high-end tag matches and all of the combinations that can happen since they're all really great wrestlers in really different ways. 

I don't look at wrestling as critically as I used to. I have my favorites: Environmental Warrior Daniel Bryan, Ska Fan Sami Zayn, The Revival, all things women's division, etc. But 10-year-old me would still think Kofi was his favorite wrestler and he might be mine right now, too. He's pretty incredible.

• Like 5