DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber IX - 2/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

added to the card: Balor vs. Lashley & Lio Rush in a handicap match for the IC title

What is with this company and handicap matches? Has there, ever in the history of the company, been an entertaining one?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

What is with this company and handicap matches? Has there, ever in the history of the company, been an entertaining one?

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rock N Sock vs Evolution?

Demolition vs. Powers of Pain & Mr. Fuji

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Demolition vs. Powers of Pain & Mr. Fuji

Good look, because this is a GREAT example of a handicap match that actually makes sense booking-wise for once. The Demos wanted revenge on Fuji specifically after the turn, so much so that they would wrestle at a disadvantage just to get their hands on him. It didn't do the Powers of Pain any favors, but they were about to be split up and repackaged anyhow.

The other example (Rock/Sock-Evolution) checks off the entertaining box because of who's involved, but the match made their dominant heel stable look like shit even in victory (The greatest wrestler of all time and the two guys being groomed for main event spots can't end a 3-on-2 handicap match with two semi-retired guys in a split second?) and was a huge waste of Rock when you consider that it was the last match of his run and nobody got a big Mania rub out of it.

But hey, I asked. The handicap match, like the heel authority figure, is one of those Attitude Era holdouts that needs to be abolished for several years before it will ever have any kind of effect again. This specific example will do nothing for Balor and make Lashley look terrible no matter the outcome (assuming it won't be a squash).

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave said on WOR that the injury (concussion) happened on Sunday night at a house show where he teamed up with Dillinger to fight Shelty/Joe 

I'm sure Mr. Orton is awaiting your apology, @RIPPA.

20 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Good look, because this is a GREAT example of a handicap match that actually makes sense booking-wise for once. The Demos wanted revenge on Fuji specifically after the turn, so much so that they would wrestle at a disadvantage just to get their hands on him. It didn't do the Powers of Pain any favors, but they were about to be split up and repackaged anyhow.

I'd question whether this style of handicap match even put Demolition at a disadvantage. As a kid and a Powers of Pain mark, I assumed it was done to give Demolition the advantage, because Fuji had to be a lot easier to beat than the Warlord or the Barbarian. And sure enough, Fuji ate the pin.

• Like 1

In WCW, a lot of Vader's Worldwide squashes were handicap matches. They were entertaining (unless you were one of the jobbers). So were some of EC3's early squashes in TNA.

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'd question whether this style of handicap match even put Demolition at a disadvantage. As a kid and a Powers of Pain mark, I assumed it was done to give Demolition the advantage, because Fuji had to be a lot easier to beat than the Warlord or the Barbarian. And sure enough, Fuji ate the pin.

I didn't get the impression that the PoP were ever presented as being that big of a threat to the Demos - after all, they needed to turn heel and cheat to win that Survivor Series match. And Fuji wasn't presented like he was Jimmy Hart or something - he'd been a tag team champion earlier in the decade himself. He was just a cheater. Fuji eating the pin was just to wrap up the storyline - the Demos got their revenge on the manager that double-crossed them.

16 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

The Rock Vs. The Dudley - Tables Match

Great match, and they put over clean the side with the advantage for once. It also helped legitimize The Dudley’s.

6 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave said on WOR that the injury (concussion) happened on Sunday night at a house show where he teamed up with Dillinger to fight Shelty/Joe 

So the night after his wife and kids were at the show, he got hurt? Small mercy that they weren't there to see it, I suppose. We don't want another Beyond the Mat situation.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The Rock Vs. The Dudley - Tables Match

Great match, and they put over clean the side with the advantage for once. It also helped legitimize The Dudley’s.

Did it? How hard is it for two of the most decorated tag team wrestlers of all time to beat one dude? That isn't a rub.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Did it? How hard is it for two of the most decorated tag team wrestlers of all time to beat one dude? That isn't a rub.

It was before they really became a big thing. At the time they still had been treated as ECW outcasts by the WWE, against a main event star like The Rock. It was also believably booked unlike a lot of handicap matches.

• Haha 1

Dave made a good point Bayley and Sasha almost have to start the chamber match because looking around at these other teams there aren't a lot of women to hold this thing together. I hadn't thought a lot about it but the women's division has a pretty clear drop off after about 7-8 ladies. "Passable" is a word thrown around and describes a lot of the division. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave made a good point Bayley and Sasha almost have to start the chamber match because looking around at these other teams there aren't a lot of women to hold this thing together. I hadn't thought a lot about it but the women's division has a pretty clear drop off after about 7-8 ladies. "Passable" is a word thrown around and describes a lot of the division.  

Strictly speaking the worst women in the EC match are Carmella, Tamina, & Mandy. Everyone else is either solid or has shown to be capable of having good matches in the past. Bayley and Sasha are starting off because they are the two most over women in the match, and no one else is likely to carry the crowd's attention as much.

Bayley and Sasha starting the match would be incredibly obvious booking, except Sasha apparently still isn't cleared and do you really want her going 40 while banged up, inside a bunch of hard metal and plexiglass?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bayley and Sasha starting the match would be incredibly obvious booking, except Sasha apparently still isn't cleared and do you really want her going 40 while banged up, inside a bunch of hard metal and plexiglass?

Well clearly they do seeing that Bayley lost the triple threat tag where the losing team is forced to start. At this point I assume Sasha is either already cleared and they are just being safe by not having her try to go full throttle again before Sunday, or Sasha is taken out early and Bayley works most of the match before losing.